The Speed Force

I just did my first weight workout in … lets not count … this morning and everything hurts despite using tiny little weights. I likewise take forever to put on muscle and go limp noodle in a week. This is going to be a long road.

3 Likes

One nice thing. I was having shoulder/neck issues. Lifting has actually helped that more than stretching.

3 Likes

:+1:

Awesome! Always love to hear about people getting back to the grind.

2 Likes

Grinding right this minute. Left first set, 20 minutes bike, lift, bike, lift. Add that to one hour bike this AM.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! Inspired by the Flashes, I’m trying to improve my cardiovascular health by moving my body more often. I also want to be more active on DC Community because it’s a nice way to socialize casually. This club seemed like two birds, one stone, you know?

This morning I “ran” 2.5 miles (or kilometers, depending what unit my building manager set the elliptical machine in the fitness center to) in 20 minutes. Right now, I’m planning to stick to 20 minute workouts and try to increase the distance and difficulty level. I’m also trying to make it to the gym more often. Today was my third go in one week which is really good for me!

5 Likes

awesome stuff, as a life-long runner (though my knee has me on the stationary bike) my advice is to not worry about ‘progressing’ too much, too quickly. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.

5 Likes

Me too

3 Likes

That’s very good advice, @msgtv. Ironically, immediately after joining this club, I hit a long stretch where I couldn’t get myself to the gym. I’ve been keeping active by taking walks around my neighborhood, nearby lakes, and in the city.
I’m back to my mission of pushing myself, though, and today I moved 2.19 miles on the elliptical. Does anybody know if elliptical machines typically compensate the distance traveled to account for a higher resistance level?

4 Likes

Yeah, on machines how accurate depends on quality of machine as far as counts. But distances should be accurate but resistance isn’t going to factor into it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think the machines in my building factor level into the distance, so I’ll start tracking the estimated calories burned instead. 168 today.

3 Likes

Still can’t run due to achilles issues, but I can ride my bike.

Took my mountain bike out yesterday with a friend for 24 miles, so that was nice. He is also a retired ultrarunner with many injuries, but we are both glad we can at least still do something.

5 Likes

I’m slowly getting back into things as well.
Instead of trying to add weights to my running, for once I’ve started running after establishing a decent weights routine. (Nothing near bodybuilder level - just trying to avoid becoming a feeble old man who can’t use high shelves for fear of toppling over.)

• I registered for a local half marathon on National Running Day because they were having a sales on all distances for $20 and allow free swapping down between distances later. Figured I’d give myself a goal. 23Sep2023
  • Started adding treadmill walking in once a week. (However long the episode of Muppet Mayhem was each week.)
  • Work sent me out of the country for a few weeks (thus blocking me from DCUI Community), but I used the opportunity to up my walking to light jogs (about 4 miles around the Imperial Palace Gardens in Tokyo) and added in a lot more walking than my work-from-home gig usually allows. (12+ miles each Sat/Sun, plus a few weekdays allowed for sightseeing.)
  • Slight interruption when I returned for a float trip in the mountains, but back at it now, trying to get a regular 3-5 miles twice a week on my outside loops before building mileage at start of August.
  • Office decided we should do a team building mud run on the same day as the half. So that should be fun. :wink:
3 Likes

Interrupting for float trip entirely excusable,
Half & Mud!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes