The New Generation of DC Movies & TV Is Here!

James Gunn has announced his new TV and movie slate for DC Studios, and the hype is very real!

Check out this special message from the man himself:

From Supergirl to Creature Commandos, Gunn and Safran are pulling some major moves with DC Studios.

For all the details, head over to the DC Blog!

What do you think of Gunn’s plans? Let us know in the thread below!

35 Likes

Some real curveballs here, I’m super hyped!

20 Likes

I can’t say I’m hyped over the moon about any of these projects, but I am excited, and think it’s super bold to be confidently multi-platform. I also really appreciate the continued focus on writing and directing as unique voices, instead of being a more homogenized production line.

19 Likes

No overhaul for the comic book side?

11 Likes
12 Likes

Certainly a lot to take in here. While I’m not crazy about another live-action movie Batman, the fact that he’ll be appearing alongside the Batfam does definitely make that better. I know they’re adapting the Morrison story, but if it can also capture some of the energy of Wayne Family Adventures, this could be a really great move

For the Authority movie, they had better be able to make this happen w/out any involvement from or credit to Warren Ellis. I know he co-created the team, but after all the sexual coercion allegations that have been brought against him, I’ll have absolutely no desire to see this movie if his name is anywhere on it

I’m also really hoping Sasha Calle will still be playing Kara in Woman of Tomorrow. It was strange that she wasn’t mentioned in the announcement and the last thing I’d wanna see is a recast after just 1 outing from her. Regardless of how her Flash appearance goes, I think she deserves a chance to prove herself in a solo outing

12 Likes

Can’t wait, here’s hoping that he put red trunk back on Superman!:grinning:

8 Likes

There’s a live action Supergirl movie!:

It’s based on “Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow”:

11 Likes

I’m mildly interested in the Lanterns

Lanterns

Live action HBO Max series

Safran: Our next project is another television series. We call it Lanterns and it is starring two of our favorite Green Lanterns—Hal Jordan and John Stewart. It’s going to be with HBO Max, as all of our series are that we’re going to talk about today. It is more of a *True Detective-*type mystery with our two Lanterns. A terrestrial-based mystery—

Gunn: —that leads into the overall story that we’re telling throughout the different movies and television shows. We find this ancient horror on Earth, and these guys are basically supercops on “Precinct Earth.”

Safran: The story is going to weave back and forth between the films and the television shows. Peacemaker is a good example of how that works, and that’s what we’re going to do with this big overarching story that we’re telling.

They’re using images from GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE, the Green Lantern series that I thought it would be great if they based a John Stewart live-action series on (on that take on the character), so that’s a plus.

The Batman: Part II.… I love that title, drawing from The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II, I’m guessing.

The Ta-Nehisi Coates Black Superman is still a go, so good for that.

Other than that… yeah, that’s about it for me.

EDIT:

Well, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow I’m a bit curious about too.

11 Likes

All pretty exciting stuff – it feels like it’s more of a soft reboot, keeping some things, but moving others into new directions. There is hardly a project here that I’m not interested in checking out, but I’m definitely excited for The Brave & The Bold, The Batman Part II, Lanterns, The Authority, and more.

10 Likes

Considering how well received The Batman was, and that it’s still continuing, I’m curious how they’re going to pull it off. But at the same time, you can’t really do a shared live action DC Universe without DC’s most popular character, so their hand is kind of forced. I feel like the approach they’re suggesting here makes sense.

Also, it’s not in the article, but James and Peter both said that it’s possible Sasha will continue in the role. I don’t think they’ve made a decision regarding that. The door is open, at least!

11 Likes

Thrilled by the news
Creature Commando and a Swamp Thing movie were the big surprises. Also, loved the Supergirl series being used for the movie. This means we get Krypto (hopefully)

11 Likes

Yeah, I think the way they’re doing the two Batmen will work out fairly well, with Pattinson’s being more grounded and the DCU’s taking from the over-the-top, borderline-campy-and-edgy Grant Morrison’s run. Having a focus on Damian Wayne as Robin will also help seperate the two.

And yeah, it would be nice to see Sasha come back. I’ve thought in the past that we could maybe see something in The Flash where she shows up on Earth in the rocketship at the end and have a Superman show up to greet her. I guess now it probably won’t be Cavill but either a shadowy figure or maybe even the new Superman if he’s cast by then.

9 Likes

Along with the announcement, James and Peter both answered a bunch of questions about DC Studios and how it’s all going to work: James Gunn and Peter Safran on Building a New DC Universe | DC

They touch on a lot of topics. Everything to how they choose the format of each new project, whether Jason Momoa will play Lobo, if they had to revise anything in The Flash, which writers they’re working with the craft the overarching story and more!

11 Likes

The Authority another for pleasant surprise

6 Likes

I’m most excited for brave and the bold, Superman, lanterns, and supergirl :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Creature Commandos and Swamp Thing sound cool but I’m not gonna get excited about movies and shows that barely exist yet,

I don’t who would ever want to watch a show about Amanda Waller she’s one of the most unlikeable characters in the dc universe.

10 Likes

:raised_back_of_hand:

10 Likes

Did someone say live action Damian Wayne??

All of these shows and movies look great. I guess this is the push I needed to finally read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. But a Booster series, a Themyscyra series, and an Authority series? That’s awesome!

I can’t wait to see all of these.

9 Likes

To start, I like the overall philosophy. Connecting the films, TV shows, and animation projects is ambitious. However, it’s the kind of collective universe I wanted/expected since the Man of Steel movie all those years back.

• I’m excited for a Superman movie that sounds more hopeful than Snyder’s take.
  • I loved Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow and think it’s the right choice for source material for a film. It’ll allow Kara to build an identity outside of Superman.
  • Intrigued by The Authority film. It’s a great property, but the major struggle the team has had the past decade has been fitting into the DCU at large. I’m interested to see how Gunn and Co. navigate this.
  • Creature Commandos… cool!
  • The Waller TV show continues Gunn’s mini-Suicide Squad universe within a universe and I’m all for it.
  • Finally… a new Batman film with Robin! (And no, The Dark Knight Rises doesn’t count.)
  • With Paradise Lost, they said it takes place “before the Wonder Woman films.” Does that mean before the Jenkins Wonder Woman films?
  • Still wondering how much if any of the DCEU films will stay canon in this. It seems like some will, but it’s not entirely clear.

There’s a lot to be excited about with this announcement, but it still leaves a lot of open questions.

9 Likes