The New Generation of DC Movies & TV Is Here!

Well…he’s not in charge of that department.

6 Likes

This sounds awesome. Definitely exited for this what sounds like a softish reboot. Cool to see they’re still allowing elseworlds and have and to incorporate animation and video games. Also cool to hear that they still plan on doing the dvd releases. Always enjoyed those even though it seems like the may lesson the amount but cool to see they’re still being elseworld stuff.

As for the skate I’d say I’m the most excited for Swamp Thing. Wonder if this means JLD May come. Also got the Batfamily to finally get live action movie stuff. And GL finally getting something to. The rest sounds great can’t wait.

8 Likes

I feel a lot of this will be established with the movies coming out this year especially flash.

5 Likes

I’m excited for a lot of the “oddball” projects like Creature Commandos, Swamp Thing and the Authority. Very excited for Paradise Lost as well, sounds fabulous. Also excited to see a true Batfamily come into being. However, we’ve been burned so badly by WB Discovery (or at least I have been) in the past couple of months. I’m going to keep my expectations tempered and not try to speculate too much. I don’t want to be excited by something and then they trash it.

8 Likes

Understood, agreed and I doubt you even have to worry about that in this day and age. Tomorrow, Jim Lee could be like “I mean was Hitler all that wrong?” And DC would put him out on the street in no time. They may legally have to list him in the credits though, but that’s it.

6 Likes

Overall, not a huge GL fan in general, never have been. BUT seeing those Earth-One images intrigued me, as I read that series and enjoyed it.

5 Likes

You may be right about that last point considering Ellis hasn’t actually been convicted of or even charged w/ anything as a result of the accusations. If he had then it’d probably be easy to cut him out entirely. But even if he gets just a brief mention in the credits, I’d imagine that’ll still involve royalties which I’d definitely be uncomfortable w/. Just gonna have to keep an eye on this as we go on

5 Likes

My sentiments exactly. Until a trailer exists don’t get too excited. Tomorrow they could axe it like Batgirl, or get into financial trouble, who knows!

7 Likes

Agreed. I think Flash will pave the way for the new status quo. I’m also pretty sure that The Suicide Squad and the Peacemaker series will remain canon since they were Gunn projects (which leaves the door open for Margot Robbie). Outside of that, it’s hard to say, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

4 Likes

What they said to me is that it’ll take place before Diana. I took it to mean before their DCU Wonder Woman is born. Meaning, she won’t be on the show. Technically, you can see it as before Jenkins/Gadot Wonder Woman movies, but I don’t think they consider those part of their continuity.

5 Likes

Big takeaways:
-There is not going to be a single overarching continuity a la the MCU. They’re clarifying a little bit how the “Elseworlds” thing works (maybe to open the door for multiverse stuff) but we’re having multiple distinct continuities, some featuring different versions of the same character.
-The old DCEU continuity is not getting wiped away into nothingness. At the very least we’re getting more Viola Davis Waller and it looks like a lot of stuff from Peacemaker is going to carry over into that show. People are already speculating that Waller will take place between the first and (currently unannounced) second season of Peacemaker.
-Animated DC content is not dead. The announcement of Creature Commandos means we’re getting more animated stuff, which given the current state of Warner Bros’ animation department was not at all a given. In fact, they suggest Rick Flag Sr. is going to appear in other projects, and is making his debut in animation.
-James Gunn appears interested in adapting specific runs from the last two decades. Tom King and Grant Morrison getting specifically mentioned in the announcement is notable. Speculation that the Superman film will take inspiration from All-Star Superman seems likely.
-Tripling down on different Batmen. They mention Matt Reeves and Ben Affleck as they announce a new third Batman continuity, and they seem to be betting the wider public is going to be able to keep all three versions straight.
-They might be on the path to figuring out the secret to shared universes: there’s connective tissue between these projects ( a lot less than I would have expected though) but few of these projects are reliant on other projects to be successful. If some (or even most) of these projects turn out to be duds it won’t be as hard to start over as it was during the DCEU era. People forget this but a lot of early MCU stuff wasn’t as successful as others (remember how quickly they moved on from Edward Norton as the Hulk?)

In general these projects all seem like stories and characters people are legitimately interested in exploring without worrying too much about what everyone else is working on. Maybe that’ll be good, maybe it’ll cause problems, but that seems to be the gameplan here.

4 Likes

I’m intrigued by these odd-ball curveball ideas like Creature Commandos (which I know of the title and that’s it) and The Authority. Honestly, I went in expecting major reboot, this is the next Superman, next Batman, next Wonder Woman, etc etc and it wasn’t!

I like The Elseworlds idea! Because I am sick and tired of shared universe crap! They could make a new Aquaman movie tomorrow with I dunno…The Coen Brothers, great! Let them do their thing. For in the end, I just need good movies. If you require some farcical connection to link movies together to make them good, well…that’s kinda sad.

Excited for Damian! Batman & Robin is long over-due! Plus, Damian can be sold to a general audience I believe. With his background and all, you can buy Batman leading this youth into danger. It’s been done historically too, like The Khmer Rouge ripping children from their parents and turning them into soldiers overnight.

Paradise Lost & Waller sound awesome, sadly I am not a big TV person. And have grown tired of paying for streaming everything, lol.

The verdict is out on Gunn’s Superman for me. The majority of people out there are still stuck in 1977 and probably even believe Carter is still in the White House. Yes, I LOVE Snyder’s Superman. HOWEVER, I do not want Gunn copying and pasting that over either. I want him to do his own thing, but when I hear Gunn I think kinda immature humor in general. Of course, if he turned Superman into Chris Pratt Star Lord he’d be fired I’m sure, lol.

4 Likes

Please cast me, I think I could do wonderful things for the franchise in a minor/supporting role :pray::pray:

5 Likes

I really hope we get some more explanation on how the new continuity is going to work. So the Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Flash movies, plus Gunn’s Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are staying canon?

Like, after The Flash releases I’d love to see a proper timeline laid out.

5 Likes

Yeah, that didn’t sound cleared up at all. For he said The Flash will reboot everything. So what? We keep Momoa but pluck this new Superman from Earth-2 or something? This is also why I hate this shared universe crap.

3 Likes

On the other hand, irrespective of any continuity concerns WE"RE GETTING A DAMIAN WAYNE MOVIE!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Now if Superman: Legacy introduces Jon Kent, I’ll be even happier!

6 Likes

To think, we’ll have two Batmans now. I can certainly get behind that.

4 Likes

It could be cool, wish it was a different robin though, Carrie Kelly or Dick Grayson would have been better choices for a Batman and Robin movie imo.

5 Likes

I’m actually curious, on the two Batman front, if the Batman and Robin won’t be Bruce and Damian, but Dick and Damian instead.

The picture they used to announce it is of Dick and Damian as Batman and Robin. That would be a really cool way to distance themselves from the Matt Reeves Batman and give it a different feel.

But it is so early, that we can only guess.

5 Likes

Some unexpected choices. I’ll believe it all when I see trailers. Not excited about HBO max getting a bunch of content. Guess I’ll have to look at getting that.

It’ll be weird to have two Batmans. I feel like it’s 70% not connected.

Seems like he (Gunn) actually reads comics and likes them so already a dramatic improvement.

Not sure some of these are the kinds of characters you should be starting a shared universe with.

Final verdict. Hesitant hope mixed with some concerns.

4 Likes