The Modern Age Superman Club Week 1: The Adventures Begin!

I know I am not the only person here who digs his run, which makes me feel a heck of a lot better for really digging such an obscure mid-2000s run.

2 Likes

You, me and @CaptainYesterday all seem to be ardent fans of it.

For the three of us, we’re in for a treat of a re-read.

For the rest, they’ll be in for a treat of an initial read of the initial part of the Busiek run. I’m not doing the whole shebang at once. Rather, it will be parsed out and featured as time allows.

3 Likes

First two books are in and have to call it a night. I am digging the story so far. I must say Emil has pretty much lost it with that darn laser box/wall/cage that he has created. I do find it interesting that he keeps saying no one has seen the potential of his creation but Lex definitely has. Granted, Lex is claiming it as his own due to being worked on his equipment. You can also see this kind of story in the pages of Power Girl decades later. I plan on continuing these books tomorrow after work.

3 Likes

:superman:well! If you’re like me, you’ll find that The Adventures of Superman is always a wonderful thing to wind-down with, once the workday is behind you.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the story so far, and look forward to more of your thoughts. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Ok made it under the wire!

For someone who has never read more than an issue or two from this era I had a blast! I struggle with the dialogue sometimes and I did fall asleep once but there was so much Superman sass I was not expecting that it kept me engaged! Loved how he displayed so many different aspects of himself and that there is so much more to him than some strong man that everyone expects. Impersonating Bibbo was so Batman and I loved it!

And there were so many moments that made me laugh!

Cat’s license plate is priceless.

I have a thing for loud sweaters and I have to have this!

Just liked this panel but this storyline was heartbreaking!

Wholesome Kent’s, gets me every time! Love that Pa always gives the best advice to his son.

3 Likes

As Marty McFly once said, “Yes!”

adds @Bar-El’s name to his “Convert into fans of The Adventures of Superman” checklist

As Emperor Palpatine once said, “Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.” :smiling_imp: :wink:

Love this scene! Superman wasn’t putzing around. Take that, door made of heavy birch and/or oak! :grin:

Well, she’s a smooth kind of lady. Of course, who else but Cat would advertise themselves like that? :joy:

I don’t have a thing for loud sweaters. However, I would wear a sweater like that, should Warner Brothers Consumer Products officially license it, and especially if another Fan Event or similar function should roll around.

I prefer the Kents being alive when Clark is Superman, so I love this scene, too. Always good to see Clark with the folks who truly put the “super” in “Superman”.

Thanks for flying in, Bar-El! I’m sure you’ll enjoy Week 2, which starts tomorrow. Its super, and then some!

2 Likes

Just finished reading and this is pretty good stuff.

I really liked the characterization of Superman here – he has the calm and compassion, but he’s also not afraid to throw down and, like @Bar-El, I was surprised by some of the sass and wit he had here. Not only that, but by the depth of personality and conflict he had. He wasn’t some perfect paragon of virtue who does nothing wrong – he makes mistakes, he makes some major screw-ups, but he doesn’t come off as heartless or uncaring, he’s just human, making choices and dealing with the consequences.

I was also surprised by Cat Grant’s introduction. She comes off as a flirty and fun character that still has some great depth to her. It was rather surprising considering her most popular takes that I’ve seen is the more over the top and kind of two-dimensional takes that Geoff Johns and Christina Ricci on the Supergirl TV show gave her.

If I had to give these issues any critique, it’s with the overall villains of these issues, The Order…I guess. They’re really poorly defined, they’re rather bland and uninteresting, and for the bulk of it they look like a really bad Middle Eastern stereotype. Maybe Wolfman and Ordway will give them a better explanation as the series progresses, but really it shouldn’t take this long for me to care about this supposed big threat to Superman. You know it’s bad when I’m thankful for the Fearsome Five of all people to make an appearance.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen these episodes. Which season and episodes was she in?

Not a Fearsome Five fan, I gather? Either way, you like Mammoth though, right? Right? :sweat_smile:

pulls on his “I’m a mammoth fan of Mammoth!” t-shirt while skipping through a Mastodon video

1 Like

She was most heavily in the first season as a full cast member, and she got bumped down to supporting cast in the second or third season, probably because she didn’t want to move up to Vancouver for a full season of television.

He’s alright. I guess they’re okay for some C-list villains that are good for distractions or one-offs but are just kinda basic. Mammoth can be fun – the bit at the end with Superman mocking his breath was just straight savage. :laughing:

2 Likes

slaps forehead

Hello, Megan!” :yjo_miss_martian_green: I remember Cat Grant on Supergirl, but she was played by Calista Flockhart. Did Ricci play someone similar to Cat, then?

I definitely remember Flockhart as Grant though, because that’s when I watched Supergirl on a continual basis.

Christina Ricci though…pulls the ripcord on his IMDB machine

Welp, unless IMDB is wrong, she was never on Supergirl. She did play Terra in Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. Her WB output will endure via The Matrix 4, as well.

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder if this was the beginning Superman’s imitation game that later became a running joke with the Justice League in the post Metal era.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was wrong – I don’t know how I mixed those two up. :rofl:

And I agree, Superman was definitely pulling some Batman moves there when he was looking for Perry’s son.

2 Likes

When I was reading Superman Annual 1 I got some major Chernobyl vibes and that definitely could have influenced the story as that was not even a year prior to this being released. Things like not even insects were to be found in a completely empty town while toys and weapons were seen on the ground. Completely creepy. The inclusion of Reagan only re-enforces my thoughts on the inspiration of this story.

The Legends crossover didn’t really fit but was a fun story with a cool ending.

All of the other issues were pretty fantastic. We saw the first appearances of Cat Grant, Bill Henderson, Gangbuster…sort of, and more! I did forget how wordy Wolfman could be but that is also part of reading older comics. For the most part, each issue was a self contained story while telling a bigger story for the monthly readers. This has become a lost art in comics, sadly.

3 Likes

Speaking of President Reagan, I hope @Reaganfan78 has read these issues at some point, due to The Gipper’s appearance.

Re: the Legends tie-in issue…for being a tie-in to a bigger event only three issues in to a brand-new series, it’s one of my favorite issues of the group we read.

Of course, I’m a mark for most anything Fourth World-oriented, but objectively speaking, I did honestly enjoy the issue to a good degree.

4 Likes

After reading Annual 1 last night I was curious what comic had The Gipper’s first appearance. Sadly, @Reaganfan78 and the rest of us won’t be able to read his first appearance on DCUI anytime soon, I am sure.

5 Likes

52 big pages, eh? That number…

People harp about others being Richard Craniums at the movies in the modern era (and for good reason), but that cover serves to reinforce that d**kery has sadly always been part of the overall in-theater experience.

Also, I do wonder what madcap hijinkery Gordon MacRae got into in that ish…:thinking:

3 Likes

I am interested when 52 became DC’s “number”. This came out in 1950, over half a century before 52 was released on comic racks.

3 Likes

Sounds like a query for @HubCityQuestion

Say, wouldn’t Baskin-Robbins be great for breakfast? I sure could go for a big, meaty, bowl of their Bubble Gum ice cream.

2 Likes

I am still sipping on my Cinnamon Toast Crunch flavored coffee with a nice heaping of Busiek Superman/Action comics. Yeah, it is almost 1 but it’s my day off.

2 Likes

Time be damned! Do what you want! :grin:

Did I care that I had a breakfast burrito last night, alongside my homemade dinner of street tacos and a chicken quesadilla? Nooope! :clark_hv_4:

Say, where can one buy that Cinnamon Toast Crunch creamer you’ve mentioned?

Also, can you drink creamer on its own? I’m not a coffee guy in most respects, but liquified Cinnamon Toast Crunch sounds like a Treat of Treats.

3 Likes