The Future of the DCEU (2022)

I know I’m the author of this post but WOW - I didn’t expect this much in the replies

5 Likes

Well this is a topic that won’t stop being relevant anytime soon, so get ready for a whole lot more

6 Likes

@arkhamassassin

Well this is a topic that won’t stop being relevant anytime soon, so get ready for a whole lot more

More you say… :smiling_face:

The new head of DC has been found.

Dan Lin, the executive-turned-producer who counts hits such as the live-action Aladdin, The Lego Movie, and the It horror movies, is in talks to take the role of DC chief, multiple sources tell THR.

The role encompasses not just overseeing film but television as well, with Lin reporting directly to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav, according to sources.

The structure bypasses three separate division heads — Warner Bros. Pictures’ Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy, HBO/HBO Max chief Casey Bloys and Warner Bros. TV chair Channing Dungey — and puts control of DC in the hands of one person.

Walter Hamada, the current head of DC Films, would transition out of the role, according to sources. If a deal closes, it would cap off months of one of the most intense executive searches in recent memory, one that faced scrutiny by rival Hollywood producers and executives, as well as DC fans.

Zaslav has said he was searching for Warners’ own version of Kevin Feige, the famed Marvel executive who has steered the rival comic book company’s movies, and then later its TV portfolio, into a multi-billion dollar pop culture juggernaut.

That is a nigh-impossible ask, but it didn’t stop executives’ names from surfacing. Emma Watts proved to be an early contender while in recent months, names such as Amy Pascal, Matt Tolmach, Sean Bailey, and Greg Berlanti were rumored to be meeting or pushed by canny agency heads.

Lin’s name rose late in the game, but he has a champion in Warners advisor Alan Horn, the former Disney chair who ran Warners as president and COO in the aughts. It was during that latter tenure that Lin worked for Horn, starting as a junior exec and rising to senior VP of production. He struck on his own as a producer in 2008, but not before shepherding movies such as The Departed and10,000 B.C. He also oversaw the infamous and aborted Justice League feature that was to have been directed by George Miller. (The 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America strike and tax credit complications were factors in its derailing.)

Lin is a respected producer known for his smarts and, in a town full of hype and egos, his willingness to find experts on the fields that are not his forte. He has worked on franchises — the Robert Downey Jr.-starring Sherlock Holmes moves, the four Lego movies — as well as wildly successful two-part adaptation of Stephen King’s It . His resume ranges from big offerings, such as the billion dollar-grossing bright-colored Aladdin , to intimate dramas, such as the Oscar-nominated The Two Popes . He is coming off of the early August release of Universal’s Jo Koy comedy, Easter Sunday.

I imagine it won’t be long before he’s hated, and “it’ll all be his fault.” :smiling_face:

Alan Horn likes him though, so… So let’s see what Mister Lin does – well, if he gets the job.

More to come, I’m sure…

EDIT:

EXCLUSIVE: We are hearing from several sources this afternoon that former Warner Bros executive Dan Lin’s name is one of those in the mix for the top spot at DC Films.

The sense around town is that he has a pole position feel to him, and like Marvel boss Kevin Feige brings the best of both worlds: Lin is a franchise producer of such movies as It, Sherlock Holmes, the Lego franchise and big branded titles like Aladdin, and even better he’s a former Warner Bros studio executive. He’s the kind of guy that Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav would savor; Lin being a Harvard Business School MBA grad. Another plus: former Warner Bros Motion Picture Boss Alan Horn-turned-current Zaslav consigliere was a mentor to Lin.

So a Harvard man…

2 Likes

Glad they actually got someone competent to be in charge of the DC Film/TV branch.

Was worried they’d get someone with no business working with DC, but Dan Lin is a decent choice.

So hopefully some good things will come out of this!

Finally some good news for once!

4 Likes

His experience does look good, though I’m still gonna be skeptical of anyone Zaslav approves of at this point. Hoping for the best but still gotta be prepared for the worst

2 Likes

Second time I see this today. What do you guys mean by “preparing” for the worst in this case? Not being facetious, honest question :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

I guess more just mentally prepared

2 Likes

Variety is saying…

From “The Lego Batman Movie” to just…Batman?

While veteran producer Dan Lin is in contention for the top job overseeing DC’s film and TV adaptations for Warner Bros. Discovery, Variety has confirmed that no offer has been made to Lin, and several hurdles stand in the way of any deal moving forward.

The biggest hurdle is Lin’s production company, Rideback, which has ties to several other studios, including a first-look deal from January 2021 with Universal Pictures, and development on several features for Disney, including a live-action version of “Lilo & Stitch.” Were Lin to decamp to Warner Bros. Discovery to run DC, his involvement with those productions would need to be sorted, if not severed outright.

Beyond his business entanglements, Lin is a strong candidate for the role, having shepherded the animated “Lego” movies for Warner Bros. starting with 2014’s “The Lego Movie.” In an interview on the Ankler podcast earlier this month, Lin spoke about a moment in 2008 when he almost had a job “overseeing the entire DC franchise” due to his work producing a “Justice League” movie for director George Miller. That film fell apart, and Lin moved on to a wildly successful career as a producer, including the two “Sherlock Holmes” films with Robert Downey Jr. and the two adaptations of Stephen King’s “It” with director Andy Muschietti — the director on DC feature film “The Flash,” which is still set to open in theaters in June 2023, despite ongoing controversy around its star, Ezra Miller. Overall, Lin’s films have grossed more than $5 billion worldwide.

So yep, let’s see what The Talented Mister Lin does in regards to Superman.

Because that’s my litmus test. If you can make Superman work… then you’re doing something.

And I guess he has to decide on what he wants to do in relation to his other deals he has going.

Being the new DC boss is probably a pretty good gig. Probably… maybe.

2 Likes

But can he make Black Condor work?

2 Likes

Yeah, just give him time and the people.

3 Likes

Welp, seems like no good news can go unbalanced.

Looks like Z*slav is going to be be a problematic CEO afterall.

Laid-Off HBO Max Execs Reveal Warner Bros. Discovery Is Killing Off Diversity and Courting ‘Middle America’

Also “Middle America” is diverse too Z*slav you moron! Firing diverse staff and cutting diverse projects. Yep Things aren’t looking good for WB.

Worrying for the Future of DCEU once again.

4 Likes

At this point I just don’t have any high hopes for WB in general. The continuous push backs and cancellations on not just DC but WB projects in general has made me very cynical.

2 Likes

@SuperBrainiac

Welp, seems like no good news can go unbalanced.

Looks like Z*slav is going to be be a problematic CEO afterall.

Laid-Off HBO Max Execs Reveal Warner Bros. Discovery Is Killing Off Diversity and Courting ‘Middle America’

Also “Middle America” is diverse too Z*slav you moron! Firing diverse staff and cutting diverse projects. Yep Things aren’t looking good for WB.

Worrying for the Future of DCEU once again.

Of course, balance it out fully:

What is he cancelling, and what is he continuing, and what is he green lighting?

Also, one of the shows mentioned in that article, while I’ve personally never heard of it, is being shopped…

Either way, you have to look at the whole picture.

Idris Elba is doing more super-hero stuff at DC…

And that’s more The Suicide Squad stuff most likely.

In the midst of everything, James Gunn has said that his projects are still going forward. And I guess this Idris Elba thing may be one of them.

And I guess a surprise to me, but that House Party reboot movie is actually going to the theater – December 9th.

The official synopsis:

When a pair of down-on-their-luck house cleaners discover they’re assigned to clean the mansion of LeBron James while he’s overseas, they decide to make a life-changing decision to throw a giant party in a quest for immortality and some cash. As the party gets out of control and one of LeBron’s championship rings goes missing, they will be launched into a wild night that they will never forget.

That’s a bit of a curious one to me, given that LeBron James’ production company, Springhill Company – that he and his high school friend, Maverick Carter, founded – also played a part in that Space Jam movie that was a bit of a flop at Warner Bros.

But they also did some good things at Warner Bros., too:

What’s My Name: Muhammad Ali comes to mind…

https://www.hbo.com/what-s-my-name-muhammad-ali

And they did that Dreamland: The Burning of Black Wall Street last year on CNN (which Warner Bros. owns)…

So despite Space Jam: A New Legacy’s $167 million dollar “flop,” Warner Bros. still apparently wants to be in the LeBron James/Maverick Carter/Springhill Company business – although I guess LeBron James is moving The Shop from HBO to YouTube, so…

So they’re kind of in, and kind of out.

And I believe The Shop is a show that LeBron James puts out whenever he gets around to filming it.

And I guess David Zaslav is like, "Well, if you were Michael Jordan we would continue to pay for that, but you’re LeBron James, so no… " :smile:

Also, I guess HBO has just bought Master of Light

HBO Documentary Films has acquired worldwide television and streaming rights to Master of Light, the SXSW award-winning film about artist George Anthony Morton, who honed his exceptional talent while serving a prison sentence.

Morton “is a classical painter who spent ten years in federal prison for dealing drugs. While incarcerated, he nurtured his craft and unique artistic ability,” HBO Documentary Films noted. “Since his release, he is doing everything he can to defy society’s unlevel playing field and tackle the white-dominant art world. Now, he is on a journey back to his hometown of Kansas City, where he tries to heal the broken relationship with his mother and paint family members in the style of the Dutch Old Masters.”

The release from HBO Documentary Films adds, “Going back home forces George to face his past in his quest to rewrite the script of his life and discover the contribution of African influences to the realist tradition.”

In a statement, Boesten commented, “As a first-time director, I am overwhelmed with excitement to work with such an acclaimed company as HBO Documentary Films. We hope George’s story of perseverance and talent as a classical painter will resonate with all audiences.”

And I’m sure there’s more things if I looked.

But there’s so much stuff that it’s hard to keep up.

Oh… the Seas Snake, Lord Corlys Velaryon, from House of the Dragon

Author George R.R. Martin has announced the writer behind one of HBO’s potential Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon spinoffs, also explaining why the tentative series was renamed.

Updating fans about his many, many projects, Martin devoted the bulk of a recent post on his website Not a Blog to the various novels, live series, cartoons and coffee table books in the works for the Game of Thrones franchise. Martin began by dropping a couple of precious details about a seafaring adventure. “Bruno Heller, the creator and showrunner of Rome, is writing his pilot script for the Corlys Velaryon series,” wrote Martin. “That one started out as Nine Voyages, but now we’re calling it The Sea Snake, since we wanted to avoid having two shows with numbers in the title.”

The Sea Snake, if it gets picked up, will tell the tales of Corlys Velaryon, a celebrated ship captain who used wealth and prestige amassed during his world travels to become one of the most influential lords of Westeros. Only alluded to in Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire and never mentioned in Game of Thrones , House Velaryon is one of House Targaryen’s oldest allies. As one of the few Valyrian families in Westeros, Velaryons are frequently born with the silver hair and purple eyes most often associated with Targaryens. They’re also the only other Westerosi family regularly capable of riding dragons.

With the obvious success of House of the Dragon, this probably has a good chance of happening.

And of course The Weeknd’s show, The Idol

Oh yes. :smiling_face:

Either way, again, watch what he green lights. What he cancels are things that very few people were watching, most likely.

And of course the world is gray, not black and white.

@MatthewHecht

But can he make Black Condor work?

[Looks up Black Condor because I have no idea who the hell that is… ]

[After finding him I still have no idea who the hell that is… ] :smile:

Yeah… sure… maybe.

Or maybe not?

Who’s to say?

One thing on The Talented Mister Lin:

So I guess he did the LEGO movies. People love those, don’t they?

So that’s a positive. He knows how to put together the right mix of people to create something that people really like.

That’s what you want in a new DC boss.

“Do Superman. Find the right people to do what we think will work.”

“The Black Condor thing… let’s kick that one around a little more before we do anything.” :smiling_face:

2 Likes
2 Likes

So… from 2009:

Producer Dan Lin on the JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie, SUICIDE SQUAD, and Stephen King’s IT

Posted:December 22nd, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Let’s start with the easy stuff first: According to Lin, Dave Kajganich is turning in a draft of It over Christmas and Hiding in Time and The Chaser are scripts he expects in the new year - but they’re both in deeper development. When I asked Lin what deeper development meant, he said “scripts that need some more work.”

When I asked about Justice League, Lin confirmed what we all knew: its on-hold right now. He also said “it seems like they’re (Warner Bros.) building to Justice League instead of going with the team movie first and doing individual movies after that.”

He also confirmed what I’d been hearing about WB’s plans for their DC superhero movies and that’s “they’re unveiling their DC strategy in January”. Meaning, we’re probably going to hear what other DC characters are getting movies very soon!

And while Justice League might be stalled right now, he sounded more optimistic about Suicide Squad. He said, “that’s a different kind of superhero movie. For us that’s a super villain movie. It’s almost Dirty Dozen set in the world of supervillains. That’s the only one for me that’s on the front burner.” Meaning, it’s his only superhero property that’s moving forward.

Here’s our full conversation about Justice League, Suicide Squad and Stephen King’s It. Look for more with Dan Lin tomorrow night.

Collider: You’re listed also for Justice League Mortal.

Dan Lin: It’s the dream project.

Right, that’s why I’m sort of saving it. It’s like the punch at the end.

Dan Lin: Yeah. I mean it’s…I’ll say it’s the reason I started my company. You know, I thought that was the ultimate project. I was a fan-boy for me to work with all those characters together on a team and kind of the themes of that movie. That’s my dream. It’s on-hold right now as DC sorts out its strategy but as you’ve talked to Alan Horn and Jeff Robinov it seems like they’re building to Justice League instead of going with the team movie first and doing individual movies after that.

So the George Miller Justice League movie.

Well, well, well…

EDIT:

And John Campea’s take on Dan Lin (because I’m always curious in what he says; he’s sometimes entertaining to me)…

And a Grace Randolph Tweet:

In response to this Tweet…

So I guess the Zack Snyder Cult will instantly hate Dan Lin… and I think they already know that David Zaslav wants nothing to do with them – at least I assume they do.

Twitter is fun.

Pretty meaningless, but still fun.

And the Grace video on Dan Lin…

1 Like

So this was said about WB in an article from The Wrap.

Warner Bros Discovery’s push to cut $3 billion in costs is risking long-term damage to relationships with creative talent.

“The messaging both inside the company and externally is ‘Stay away or get out if you can,’” says one talent agent.

So in mere months Z*slav has sunk a near century old movie studio and made it a toxic place for creatives and talent. Great, just great!

3 Likes

Not really

3 Likes

The reports would say otherwise. But ok. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

So now it looks like Legendary Entertainment is planning to move on from Warner Bros and make a deal to develop films with either Sony or Paramount!

The company has worked with Warner Bros on ‘Dune’ and the MonsterVerse films.

So yeah, not looking good for WB. :frowning:

2 Likes

So…. I honestly can’t believe anything I read at this point. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING that has been said is now being backpedaled in some way. I’m just gonna have to wait and see what happens because I think most of these scoopers are blowing hot air.

2 Likes