The Future of the DCEU (2022)

When Discovery bought WB and talked a bit about the DCEU, their initial ideas and plans seemed promising. Obviously some details would need to be worked out but it looked like they really wanted to re-organize and strengthen DC films.

This is being posted following the announcement that WB-Discovery has cancelled the Batgirl movie. Their initial announcement had the decision connected to their strategic shift. Other reports also had it connected to apparently poor test screenings. I’m not here to argue if Batgirl was really as bad as these reports make it out to be. I have not attended any such screening. What I do know is that the decision to cancel a roughly $90 million movie that’s already complete is an odd and bizarre decision. With TV shows, you can scrap a show after they get a look at the pilot episode. It happened to a Wonder Woman TV show in the 2000s. But to cancel an already completed movie at this stage makes no sense. It would make sense to simply release it and get what you can from it and move on if it truly performed that badly.

But this decision also has larger implications. WB-Discovery has recently clarified that they want to have a focus on events type movies for their DC projects. It is unclear what room more mid-sized budget movies have moving forward. Films like Blue Beetle, Zatanna, and Black Canary are currently at risk of being shelved or cancelled.

It is entirely possible that the cancellation of Batgirl - as bizarre a decision as it is - is a one time incident. But this doesnt really change perception of the studio that hasn’t made a lot of appealing decisions regarding their DC properties. This already has the making of another online movement to get the studio to release a film. Only this time we know for sure it is a finished product and there really isn’t that much in the way of releasing it.

This represents a slipperly slope. Like I said, this could truly be a one time thing. Those other movies i mentioned could very likely be made and released no problem. But this does connect to a long standing problem WV has had with rheir DC properties - they don’t know how to capitalize and expand on them. For a long time, they only DC characters they were interested in for movies were Batman and Superman. They are starting to expand but this could severely set them back. People have been wanting a focus on the Bat Family on screen for years. This studio has such a wide and rich variety of characters and potential stories to use and tell. I just don’t want them to be afraid of taking any risks and go back to old habits.

8 Likes

I just feel so blindsided by this decision to cancel Batgirl. They need to make some big fan friendly announcement and soon. I want them to at least in some way tell us what they are planning to do. What is the focus going to be? Are they going to do origin stories? Are they only focusing on the big three? I just have so many questions.

WB-Discovery needs to build trust with the fans and so far they aren’t doing a great job of it.

4 Likes

All they can do to repair this situation is #ReleaseBatgirl

6 Likes

Yea, like mentioned, this is creating a Snyder Cut movement already. Continuing the trend of peopke not look favorably on WB

4 Likes

They want to focus on theatrical, big movies but they’re :poop:ing on the fans in the process by alienating people who want to see their favorite characters in things. Characters that don’t always get the spotlight. HBO Max is perfect for things like that. A new person takes over and fails to use the resources the company already put in place. Like if every human civilization decided to reinvent the wheel instead of building on the generation before.

Let’s break into their board meetings and scream “WHAT IS YOUR VISION?!?!?!” I want to know where we’re going as a company if they want me on board. It’s their job to produce content that we want to see. I don’t feel they’re doing a good job right now.

6 Likes

Blue Beetle is the only project you shouldn’t worry about

I’m aware they moved it to a theatrically released film. But i also know it is more mid sized budget and was greenlit before the merger. So there is still a chance, although admittedly smaller

1 Like

I just hope they tell us all the projects that get canned so we can figure out what happens or not.

Yea, they need to make some sort of announcement on what their DC direction actually is

2 Likes

@EDT

This is being posted following the announcement that WB-Discovery has cancelled the Batgirl movie. Their initial announcement had the decision connected to their strategic shift. Other reports also had it connected to apparently poor test screenings. I’m not here to argue if Batgirl was really as bad as these reports make it out to be. I have not attended any such screening. What I do know is that the decision to cancel a roughly $90 million movie that’s already complete is an odd and bizarre decision. With TV shows, you can scrap a show after they get a look at the pilot episode. It happened to a Wonder Woman TV show in the 2000s. But to cancel an already completed movie at this stage makes no sense. It would make sense to simply release it and get what you can from it and move on if it truly performed that badly.

Actually, it’s not that odd of a decision if you just want to cut your losses and move on.

Because to continue forward with it you still have to pay post production on the movie to finish it. That’s a cost.

And promotion and advertising. That’s a cost.

And the actors have to be paid more than what you’ve already paid out, because contracts today of course as structured around streaming views.

And if they were to put it in a theater, that costs money.

And physical release (Blu-ray) costs money.

So if they don’t believe in the project, then now is the time to stop putting money into it.

Switching gears: the Aquaman sequel is done, but who knows if that’s going to come out. And who knows if the third Wonder Woman movie will happen. They may even shelve The Flash. Unlikely, but you never know.

My guess is The Batman will continue. And they’re in the process of trying to figure out how to make Superman work.

Henry Cavill has been gone since 2019, so that’s been done and dusted. How they are going to relaunch him though is the only trick.

Maybe some take on Jon… maybe not. But a young Clark Kent is most likely the play.

And anything else that’s in the pipeline that Discovery didn’t announce themselves is up for question as to whether it will continue or not.

1 Like

But if they are at the stage of test screenings, my guess is that post-productions and any sepcial effects are more or less done. And they can release it on HBO Max and just not get a DVD/Blu Ray release. There are plenty of old cult films that still havent gotten any home media release. And like mentioned, all this does is strengthen negative perception of the studio by having another online movement. I mean…the execs at the time mentioned how bad the test screening for Whedon’s JL was and yet still bit the bullet and released it. And that movie costed way more than Batgirl probably ever would have costed

1 Like

@EDT

They could just be switching directions too, and Batgirl just doesn’t fit in with whatever the grand plan is now.

That was my immediate guess when this all broke.

That they’re just doing Batman and Superman, and everything else may or may not happen.

I mean, that’s what I would do, so…

If Black Adam does well then they’ll do more of that, and if it doesn’t, then it’s done.

I have a feeling that it’s not going to do that great, but you never know…

But Batman and Superman I suspect are the priorities. Batman they already know works, now they just have to get Superman to work after 40 years of it not working.

And everything else is just everything else.

EDIT:

Sort of like this…

Their ideas were never promising.

But that ties into an issue WB in general has had for a while. Up until the last few years, the only characters getting movies were Batman and Superman. TV shows did play with other characters but there were weird restrictions on who they could and couldn’t use. I just don’t want them to fall back into that pattern

1 Like

My eyes are glazing over already.

1 Like

@EDT

But that ties into an issue WB in general has had for a while. Up until the last few years, the only characters getting movies were Batman and Superman. TV shows did play with other characters but there were weird restrictions on who they could and couldn’t use. I just don’t want them to fall back into that pattern

Yeah, I guess it’s just that Superman and Batman are kind of the safe bet.

Everything else is kind of a risk.

I mean, say you had $300 million dollars to spend on a movie. Would you spend that $300 million on a Superman movie, or some other DC character (like Green Lantern or something)?

The smart money says Superman. And your shareholders are probably saying Superman. So your options are kind of limited.

But say you go ahead and spend $300 million on a Green Lantern movie and it bombs… you’re probably out of a job.

$300 million on Superman and it also bombs… you’re still probably out of a job. But you can probably get hired somewhere else, because you didn’t risk hundreds of millions of dollars on f*cking Green Lantern. :smiling_face:

Speaking of which, this might mean that Green Lantern Corps HBO Max show is at some sort of risk

2 Likes

I’d say that was already at risk given the fact that it’s been stuck in pre-production for years, but this recent news certainly does put it even more at risk

1 Like

Yeah, with that Green Lantern show the producers were saying how ambitious it was, and how cinematic they wanted it to be. In other words: expensive.

Under the old bosses I guess that was obviously not a problem.

Under the new bosses… yeah, it may or may not still be happening.

I wonder if they will end Batgirls early now that the Batgirl movie is canceled?

They did something similar to Yara Flor Wonder girl series when the tv show was canceled in production.

DC comics syncing these media properties with each other is my pet peeve as it really is a gamble whether they are successful or disappointments that it affects the comics getting canceled themselves.

2 Likes