The Future of the DCEU (2022)

I just want them to cancel that Gotham Knights series before the pain & embarrassment arrives lol

2 Likes
4 Likes

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” and “Shazam!: Fury of the Gods” will land in theaters later than planned.

Warner Bros. announced a slew of release date changes on Wednesday, pushing the “Aquaman” follow-up from March 17, 2023 to Dec. 25, 2023. The “Shazam!” sequel will open on the date previously occupied by Jason Momoa’s hulking King of Atlantis. The story about Zachary Levi’s Billy Batson was originally set for Dec. 21, 2022.

On its new date, “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” will debut a few days after Disney’s “Star Wars” spinoff “Rogue Squadron” (Dec. 23, 2023). Meanwhile, “Shazam!: Fury of the Gods,” which was initially set to face off against James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water,” now has free rein over its new opening weekend. Plus, a March release date worked well for Robert Pattinson’s Caped Crusader adventure “The Batman” ($770 million globally), another DC Comics film.

These things are never coming out. :smiling_face:

And I’m kidding… probably.

I wonder if The Flash will move too… again.

I guess it doesn’t really need to, but who knows…

EDIT:

At some point though they may say just forget it and just move on…

Well with the current heads ruining WB my guess is that once they’ve completely ruined things either Paramount or Universal will swoop in and buy the company’s carcass. Hopefully this will lead to a real long term plan for a DC film universe.

I just hope DC Comics will be ok and weather out this storm.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

@SuperBrainiac

I just hope DC Comics will be ok and weather out this storm.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Well, there’s rumors… :smiling_face:

In addition to the film and TV division, now Warner Bros. Discovery and David Zaslav have their sights set on the failing DC Comics division.

As I have been reporting on for years, DC Comics has been in dire straits due to its S-J-W and woke agenda where the company doesn’t care about the fans, doesn’t care about the characters, doesn’t care about quality content, and doesn’t care about making money (much like Marvel Comics).

Well, with the new merger it’s all coming to a head for Jim Lee and Marie Javins as it is reported the accounting offices of Warner Bros. Discovery have been taking a hard look at the books of DC Comics, where things are so bad that only Batman sells, as last month saw over half of the comics published not making the Top 100 list of sales.

And obviously that’s just a rumor from one of “those” kind of sites.

But… if in the not too distant future, DC Comics, Detective Comics Comics, is little more than Bat-books, I would not be shocked. :smiling_face:

There’s some months where it’s like that now.

1 Like

Yeah please don’t repost things from far-right Propaganda sites! It does nothing and is kind of inappropriate.

4 Likes

Oh wow, what I wouldn’t give to be a fly on the wall for 1 of those! Perhaps someone will pull a Deadpool and some of the footage will just happen to show up online :eyes:

For real, any site that’s pushing the comicsgate agenda has absolutely no worth and doesn’t deserve to be promoted anywhere

3 Likes

[quote=“arkhamassassin, post:107, topic:3240013”]
For real, any site that’s pushing the comicsgate agenda has absolutely no worth and doesn’t deserve to be promoted anywhere
[/quote

Meh, comicsgate has some worth. Just don’t get too into it or the anti-comicsgate crowd. But like everything there are good people on both sides. It is all internet BS afterall

2 Likes

No it really has no worth. The far-right fringe of Geekdom is Toxic as all get out!

And no there really aren’t “good people on both sides” the far-right is very very bad, bigoted and down right evil!

But let’s not get off topic any further!

Back on topic For the future of the DCEU, I hope for the best but will be ready for the worst. Only time will tell, but right now things seem pretty shaky.

But who knows maybe Black Adam will pull an Aquaman/Joker and make a billion! Probably not, but would be nice! Just have to wait and see.

4 Likes

Maybe the movie just doesn’t exist lol

2 Likes

Too late, I’m 100% anti-comicsgate. That’s a movement that’s full of hate for anything diverse and has absolutely no worth in comics

3 Likes

No you are Comicsgate. Hell everybody is.

1 Like

Its the internet, if you met most of Comicsgate in person I gurentty you would like a chuck of them as people. The internet lacks the nuance of humanity

1 Like

Not sure how that’s possible since I actually support more diversity in comics, which is the exact opposite of what they stand for

3 Likes

@Clonegeek18 now that’s just blatent trolling. Please Stop.

2 Likes

Considering how the Big Two have gotten LESS diverse in the last few years. There is a lack of diversity in genre at the big two. It’s all more or less Superhero stuff with maybe a dash of horror in the line but even that is often put in conjunction with a Superhero story.

Where are the War Comics of old? Where are the Westerns? Where are the Romantic comics? This is the diversity in the line that is missing. Hell there really isn’t any Fantasy comics in the current big two that don’t involve some type of Superhero.

With the exception of the new 52 trying to bring back the War comics line of old. Even the up coming Sargent Rock mini is a mash up of war and horror. DC or Marvel haven’t really tried to do a line of genre books. Hell, DC killing Vertigo was a death blow to the diversity of the line because it was an access point for non cape comics fans to read comics.

DC having most of their line being Batman or Batman related isn’t really diversity. There needs to be more variety in the comics being published.

2 Likes

Thats not the type diversity he’s talking about and you know it!

Now lets stop trolling and get back on topic!

Back to the topic at hand: We really need Black Adam to perform well or WB will be hurting financially even more so then they are now!

I know I plan to go see Black Adam in theaters at least twice. But yeah here’s hoping it can do big bucks at the box office!

3 Likes

The reviews are going to make or brake Black Adam. I think if Black Adam is marketed well and it looks cool then it will do fine. Yet in the long term DC needs a film worth rewatching and not a disposable film that you forget after a few days.

They need a Top Gun Maverick like hit in the long run.

2 Likes

On the Bright side Film wise Black Adam doesn’t have any competition the first couple of weeks after its release so it should theoretically have at least 2-3 weeks where its the #1 film in the box office. But then Black Panther: Wakanda Forever in mid November will probably knock it off the perch.

But still if it has good legs/good reviews it should stay in the top 5 films for the box office for awhile.

Anywho just 57 days till its release and I for one can’t wait!!

@TheMidnightGhost

Maybe the movie just doesn’t exist lol

It is hard to say. :smiling_face:

One thing on these moving of release dates, David Zaslav said…

“The objective is to grow the DC brand, to grow the DC characters,” he said. “But also, our job is to protect the DC brand. And that’s what we’re going to do.”

Zaslav name-checked “Black Adam,” “Shazam! 2” and “The Flash” as DC features that he’s “very excited about.”

“We’ve seen them, we think they’re terrific, and we think we can make them even better,” he said. (Zaslav’s mention of “The Flash,” currently scheduled to debut June 2023, is particularly meaningful, as star Ezra Miller is facing multiple allegations of abuse and misconduct that neither the actor nor the studio have addressed publicly.)

The part about: “We’ve seen them, we think they’re terrific, and we think we can make them even better."

When he first said that I assumed that translated to “we’re reshooting the endings.” :smiling_face:

Or something like that, at least. And I just now noticed that he didn’t mention Aquaman. :smiling_face:

Either way, so I guess they’re trying to make these flow smoothly into whatever they actually want to do? Maybe?

And I can understand and agree with him saying the infamous…

“We’re not going to launch a movie until it’s ready,” Zaslav said during the Q&A portion of the call…

“We’re not going to launch a movie to make a quarter and we’re not going to put a movie out unless we believe in it.”

“These are brands that are known everywhere in the world,” he said of the DC characters. “And as part of that, we’re going to focus on quality. DC is something that we think we could make better and we’re focused on it now.”

I can totally understand that when it comes to their movies, the things that he green lights.

But these other things, I don’t know how much longer you can keep them on the shelf.

Because that was that problem during the height of the pandemic: continually pushing these movies back costs money. Because I don’t believe they pay for these huge movies out of pocket. No, they get loans for them.

And then after that first massive weekend they pay back those loans, and then start taking money for themselves. At least that how I understand it…

And so when you’re just sitting on these movies, you have to keep telling them to wait until we release them to pay back the money we borrowed. And so I imagine at some point people want their money. :smiling_face:

So you gotta do something with these movies at some point.

Of course, I’m a bit of a masochist, so I would say just move on, take the PR hit, eat those hundreds of millions of dollars, and get started on your 10-year thing. :smiling_face:

But I guess they’re probably not going to do that.

But I say just cut it now, and make what sure whatever this new thing is… make sure it’s a banger, make sure it’s a winner. Because winning cures everything.

And at the end of the day, people just want to be entertained. And if they like what you put in front of them, I seriously doubt most will care about what happened in the past.

2 Likes