The DC moments that give you chills, goosebumps, and the like.

What are some of your favorite DC moments (across all media) that raise the hairs on your neck, give you the bumps of goose, make you smile, warm your heart and the like?

A few picks of mine:

-Green Lantern #24: the Sinestro Corps War is in effect and all of the human Green Lanterns are together on Earth, ready to make their last stand against Sinestro. Hal says “Let’s light 'em up!” as they all recite the GL oath and shine bright, ready for the forthcoming battle. The energy, excitement and momentum of the SCW is perfectly encapsulated in that single moment.

-Superman #1 (Rebirth ongoing): The pre-New 52 Clark is at the grave of the N52 Clark and is thinking to himself about the second chance he got that his new world’s Superman didn’t, while also paying his final respects to the deceased Clark.

When Clark says “The world needs to see again that there’s a Superman looking out for them. You may not be here in body, but I know you are in spirit…” and then you flip the page to a glorious close-up of the Superman emblem and the conclusion of his thought that “The colors will fly.”, that makes my heart skip a beat with excitement (it also brings Hans Zimmer’s Superman theme to mind).

-the scene in Superman: The Movie, when Lois is hanging from the dangling helicopter. Clark looks up and sees her, then gives a look to a nearby pay phone and moves on. He crosses the street and when he pulls open his shirt to reveal the Superman shield with that glorious John Williams accompanyment, I get chills and goosebumps.

-Wonder Woman’s introduction in BvS. The very first scene of Wonder Woman in action in a live action movie could not be more perfect. I think this moment will be fondly looked upon for years to come. “Is she with you?” Yes, she is and thankfully so.

-Batman rising to the challenge at the end of Tim Burton’s Batman. “He’s out there right now, and I’ve gotta go to work.” says Bruce to Vicki. Cut to the suit chamber opening and Batman suiting up. He slowly rises as Danny Elfman’s music builds and then bingo! Both hit their awesome high notes as the scene concludes.

Those are but a few of my favorite excitement inducing DC moments. What are some of yours?

6 Likes

The scene that always chokes me up is the last issue of The Final Night, where a fallen Hal Jordan finds redemption by sacrificing himself to reignite the sun. And as he gives his life, straining his power to its very limit, he recites the oath one last time.

4 Likes

I love this thread, already.
Can’t wait to read more!

3 Likes

Oh, I love this, That one scene, you know the one - with me and the crowbar! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HP, that’s the one with the Rodgers and Hammerstein tune that goes “You and me togtherrrrr, now and…foreverrrrr!”, right? I think it is.

2 Likes

I’m a sucker for the recent Death of Superman movie - seeing how hard Bibbo was affected. Also when Hank was sure Superman was coming to save him.

Mask of the Phantasm when Alfred sees Bruce put on the mask for the first time.

No Man’s Land scene with Joker and Sarah Essen.

The ending of the Gotham Central arc Half a Life

Prison moments with Bruce and Sasha Bordeaux and their parting moment.

3 Likes

The No Man’s land scene in the Wonder Woman movie.

2 Likes

Wow, i’ve got so many, so i’ll list the ones that really jump out to me:

• First flight and Smallville scene from Man of Steel

• The conversation between Jason Todd and Batman at the end of Under the Red Hood

• When Superman lobotomized Manchester Black

• In Superman vs The Elite, pretty much the whole fight scene on the moon and when they take it back down to earth.

• When Batman decided not to save Ras from the derailed train in Batman Begins. We get the white eyes for a split second and then the back of the train is blown open and his wings open up and he just glides away before the train crashes

• Superman I w/ Reeve. When he sees Lois is dead from the earthquake and flies up and screams right before he turns back time

• The fight scene between WoWo and Doomsday in The Death of Superman

• Pretty much the whole fight between Supes and Doomsday in The Death of Superman

• No Man’s Land in WoWo the movie

I know there’s more, but that’s all I can think of atm.

2 Likes

Saga of the Swamp Thing #34, Rite of Spring:
“You’re a plant, for God’s sake! Just saying it out loud, I mean, it’s just so FUNNY! How could you love me?”

“Deeply…Silently…And for too many years.”

Swamp Thing, YOU OLD SMOOTHIE.

2 Likes

One that always comes to mind is the end of the “Shriek” episode of Batman Beyond.

“How did you know those weren’t just voices in your head?”

“They don’t call me ‘Bruce.’”

A few from the DCAU:

Batman: The Animated Series, The Opener - That first shot of the Batmobile powering up, and when the lightning bolt flashes behind Batman. I maintain that that sixty-second opening credits sequence is the best Batman story ever told.

B:TAS, Nothing to Fear - “I am vengeance. I am the night! I! AM! BATMAN!”

B:TAS, Heart of Ice - “Think of it, Batman. To never again walk on a winter’s day, with the hot wind in your face and a warm hand to hold. Oh, yes, I’d kill for that.”

Justice League Unlimited, This Little Piggy - Batman sings “Am I Blue?”

JLU, Fearful Symmetry - “Please. I go through everyone’s trash.”

JLU, Epilogue - Ace’s death.

JLU, Alive! - “Let the universe howl in despair, for I have returned.”

1 Like

Crap, messed up the Freeze quote in that last post. It’s a summer’s day, not winter’s.

1 Like

DC Nuclear Winter Special, Last Daughters - Kara as an adult still carrying the scars of her trauma and squeezing in with the last daughter of Earth in the too small spaceship so she won’t have to face the lonely cold darkness of space and a new world by herself.

Injustice 2, Shattered Alliances - “The House of El isn’t ruled by fear” “You’ll either make the right choice, or I’ll make it for you.”

Martin Stein’s Death in Crisis on Earth-X.

Christmas with the Superheroes #2 - Kara’s speech to Deadman: “We don’t do it for the glory. We don’t do it for the recognition. We do it because it needs to be done. Because if we don’t. No one else will. And we do it even if no one knows what we’ve done. Even if no one knows we exist. Even if no one remembers we ever existed.”

1 Like

Great, great picks all! Please keep 'em coming =)

A few more random picks of mine:

-“It’s Superman!”. From anything. I said this in another thread, but hearing or reading that gives me a shiver of excitement.

-What Joker does to Sarah at the end of No Man’s Land. Shocking brutal, and saddening in any instance, but especially who Joker does it in front of.

-Diana stopping fleeing bank robbers at the beginning of the JLU episode “Hawk and Dove”. She says something to the effect of “I try to take a day off and then this happens!”

-Superman letting loose in his battle with Darkseid at the end of the final episode of Justice League Unlimited (“Destroyer”). Cutting to the chase quote wise, Superman says “But you can take it, can’t you big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am.”

-Lex’s defeat of Atomica in Forever Evil #7. I won’t spoil it here since it’s a new to DCU title. It’s fun though :slight_smile:

-Joker dragon in Dark Nights Metal. Need I say more?

-Alfred seeing Batman for the first time in Mask of the Phantasm. Perfect union of dialogue, delivery, music and imagery.

-the final stand of Ted Kord’s Blue Beetle in Countdown to Infinite Crisis

-everything in the first arc of New 52 Justice League. Everyone gets their standout moment, the gravitas of these heroes is fully realized and it’s all so beautiful to look at.

-everything in the Darkseid War arc of N52 JL. A seismic battle whose power emanates right off the page and into the viewer. It too is beautiful to look at.

-the first time John Byrne’s Superman takes flight.

-Clark and Martha in the field in Superman: The Movie. Beautifully shot and acted.

-Lois and Superman’s flight in STM.

-Superman saving the space shuttle and airplane in Superman Returns

-the first time Henry Cavill’s Superman takes flight

-Superman’s final duke-a-roo with Zod in Man of Steel. Best comic book based movie fight scene ever.

-the final scene of Watchmen (the comic).

-the end of the Rebirth episode of Batman Beyond where Mr. Fixx says “You’re pretty strong for some clown who thinks he’s Batman!” to which Batman says “I AM Batman!”

-Michael Turner’s cover to The Flash #207. Perfect representation of Flash and an iconic cover from an iconic artist.

-Transmetropolitan’s Spider-Jerusalem. He’s just cool.

-everything from the “Apokolips…Now!” two-parter from STAS. It’s exhilarating, heartbreaking, thrilling and triumphant.

-“How could I ever forget you?” from DC Universe Rebirth

That’s it for me ATM. As the woman said to Gus in Superman III: “Next!”

3 Likes

Vroom, you’re taking all the good ones!
Good post though, helping me remember some moments I’d forgotten

1 Like

@DECE, there’s no such thing as repetition in this thread. List whatever you want =)

2 Likes

file under ‘and the like’: that golden lasso at the end of the holiday Yule Log video was too cool :dizzy:

good quality chills from a tv episode … Kara’s fury at the world at large and Red Tornado in particular dissolves into resolute determination mid-battle only after realizing Cat Grant was right–find the anger behind the anger–find a way to accept the loss of her previous life and home and family

1 Like

WW in the bank stare down at thief then going to work blocking bullets. WW showing up to fight Doomsday. Stas Apocalypse now ending with Dan Turpin portraying Jack Kirby being buried. Then Supes shows up & bends head to honor him, followed by a rip King memorial message.

3 Likes

Forgot to add those WW moments were from JL oops :grimacing:

1 Like

No Man’s Land scene in Wonder Woman and Superman’s first flight in Man of Steel

2 Likes