The Dark Nights: Death Metal Reaction Thread (***SPOILERS***)

Start your headbanging, SPOILERS-filled, all-encompassing from start to finish, Dark Nights: Death Metal discussion HERE!!!

What did we think of #1? I loved seeing Sgt. Rock and Wally, plus Dinosaur Batman was cool. The issue was fun and has me hungry for more Metal mania.

Also, are you reading Death Metal on its own, or are you all-in for the tie-ins too? I’m particularly excited for Trinity Crisis.

Shred your axe on Death Metal below, and remember…SPOILERS are absolutely allowed! :metal: :guitar: :metal:

7 Likes

I will read all of it but to be honest I would rather read it all at once because the idea of stretching this out to January (and we know there will be delays) is exhausting. Except I don’t have the self control to wait.
Metal was cool but I’m a little burnt out on “look at this wild and wacky idea” and just want the story to end. I feel like this is driven less by a story and more by the desire to go crazy with ideas. Maybe I’m just over events or maybe I’m at a point where I know the routine. “ . . . and the DCU will never be the same “ until next time.
I know that’s really negative and I’m actually genuinely sad that that’s how I feel but I’m more excited for it to be over than I am to experience it.

3 Likes

I’m hopeful there won’t be any unintended delays. We do know of the planned break after #3, but I would hope everything else is on schedule, especially due to the unintended downtime from a couple months back.

Regardless, I loved how brave and bold Metal was, so if they turn it up to 11 on the sequel, that’s fine by me. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It was fun. I don’t like how casually Earth 22 was swept away (Kingdom Come is one of my favorite stories of all time) but as long as they return it/bring it back to life by the end of this, thats forgivable.

Not a fan of the Batman Who Laughs, so I was pleasantly surprised how the issue turned out.

5 Likes

I’m curious if TBWL will stay dead, or if he’ll somehow come back. I’d be surprised if he stays dead this early on.

2 Likes

Maybe for an issue or two, but judging from the Bruce we saw in that last panel- he’ll be back for sure.

At least they acknowledged our fatigue with BWL…

5 Likes

I smiled at that.

The dude doesn’t bother me, but it was neat to see Snyder acknowledge that some feel he’s overused.

3 Likes

I did enjoy it for what it is. I think if they said “ok this is it for Metalverse” I could sit back and commit to it. I just feel like this story has been dragging for years. Snyder’s JL was a 3 year prequel.
I did like: B. Rex, TBWL taking it in the gut, designs for alternate Batmen, and the BL ring.
My concern about delays are related to a second shutdown but I think artistically these things always fall behind and they have already added an issue prolonging it.
I know I’m cynical and negative about it but I do love stories. I even love events, I just miss the days when they weren’t stretched over nearly a year.

3 Likes

The BL ring was a really cool surprise.

I’m not a big fan of Snyder’s JL (particularly the portion that came just prior to Doom War), and felt that that was unduly stretched out. As Death Metal progresses, I’ll likely revisit it as I can see discovering a newfound appreciation for the material, now knowing exactly what it was planting the seeds for.

3 Likes

Well they do hint at the “Final Body of Bruce Wayne.” So he probably still has some part to play. I imagine his head might still work and it will be some kind of God Of War thing. That would be both entertaining and odd.
Can’t wait to see the new Lord of Death Batman go all out. Supes/Darkseid will be very interesting to see.

2 Likes

The final body deal is what leads me to believe TBWL is far from dead.

Also, you don’t need to hide spoilers here. You may spoil away, good sir!

2 Likes

I just read it 10 minutes ago. It’s my first real event that I’m actually going to subscribe to. So I want to read all the tie-ins. I just need to find a reading order for them.

3 Likes

Keen! Reading the big events as they unspool is always a good time. Hopefully Death Metal is the first of many “read it as it comes out” events for you.

2 Likes

Yeah, but then someone will wonder in and spoil it for themselves. They need to read it for themselves. Was there an issue just before this that transitions into Death Metal? Or are they going to explain the full extent of what happened in a later issue?

2 Likes

I read “Heck” Arisen. Is that the last one before this happens?

2 Likes

Had it come out when intended, I imagine the Free Comic Book Day book may have had some minor set up for DM.

Otherwise, AFAIK there’s not a specific prologue to DM that can be found elsewhere. The story starts where it is, and we just go from there.

Hell Arisen was an Apex Lex vs. TBWL and whom Perpetua sides with tale more than anything. I don’t remember it leading directly into anything we’ve seen from Death Metal, so far at least.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me. Still super hyped for this!

2 Likes

Rock on, dude! :metal:

2 Likes

I was literally looking for a Death Metal thread just to share this same exact panel. Gave me a good chuckle. Nice to see a little wink/acknowledgement from Snyder there :slightly_smiling_face:.

Was a good issue that did a nice job of setting up the landscape for the story. Capullo draws the post apocalyptic world rather nicely. Didn’t see it coming when Wondy killed BWL with an invisible chainsaw. Was cathartic; about time that guy got his ass handed to him. I wonder if he’s really dead though?

3 Likes

To quote Lloyd Christmas: “I was thinking the same thing.”

2 Likes