The Complete Batgirl Appreciation Thread

A while back, I did an appreciation post for the “Batgirls” book when it was announced that the series was canceled. But I wanted to do a post that is for people to share their love for all the Batgirls beyond that one book.

This is if you are a fan of any or all people who have taken on the Batgirl mantle. And even to talk about things they did if they were using another alias. Oracle, Spoiler, Orphan…no matter the person or codename, they are all Batgirl. So share your love for some of the best to have ever come out of Gotham.

8 Likes

Okay

DK43

9 Likes

@DC89 @TheBatgirlofNML

5 Likes

Last time I checked, Carrie never took on the Batgirl name. But I like the enthusiasm

4 Likes

Trust me, if @MatthewHecht says something about Carrie, it’s most likely true.

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 9.20.37 PM
And there we go lol

6 Likes

You made a batgirl appreciation thread without memorizing the list? You need to appreciate all the Batgirls more. Like I am, as I get ready to read my little Robin/Catgirl/Batgirl/Batman/Batwoman her bedtime story.

6 Likes

I am curious about WHEN she took that alias. TDKR had her as Robin, then the sequels had her as Batman and I think she was in a Cat costume for the other book

5 Likes

The Dark Knight Returns- Robin

The Dark Knight Strikes Again- Catgirl

The Dark Knight III: Master Race- Batman then Batgirl then Batwoman

The Dark Knight Returns IV: Golden Child- Batwoman

6 Likes

All right. Honestly, I never really liked Carrie. The main problem is that the books I’ve read that have her never actually gave her anything to do to actually flesh out her character. They always just made her Batman’s sidekick…and nothing beyond that. Even then, I never saw anything unique about her

7 Likes

I liked Batgirls from the very first issue. Actually, I liked it earlier than that, since the art immediately caught my eye and it featured one of my favorite characters (Babs) and two others I wanted to read more.
I’m sad to see it ending, and reading it has made me want to read more Cass, Stephanie, and Barbara stories. I can’t think of much higher praise from a series than it making you want more.

9 Likes

A lot of Steph’s original develooment can be round in the Robin solo title back when Tim Drake was the Boy Wonder

6 Likes

Exactly, she shows you do not need a tragic backstory to be a hero or be the protagonist in 3/4ths of your appearances. Talk about inspiring.

6 Likes

I mean, there is a way to do that and also give her a personality. She just isn’t interesting to me

4 Likes

You mean like supportive, caring, ambitious, disobedient, innovative, touchy-feely, introverted, and jealous?

7 Likes

That’s…not really how I was interpreting her in TDKR

3 Likes

Thanks for the @ ! Cassandra Wayne is probably my second favorite DC character (after Batman). She first appeared in a story you may have heard me mention called No Man’s Land. Her Batgirl comic run was amazing. Her origin is one of the best I’ve ever heard and I love her character development.

(I will freely admit there were a few rough times for Cass fans where her character was handled very poorly but on the whole, a great character)

8 Likes

Thanks! I need to check that out. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have yet to read her solo book, but I have heard really great things about it!

5 Likes

Shadow of The Batgirl featuring Cassandra Cain is one of the best YA graphic novels I ever read.

Besides being a gorgeous book about the personal journey of Cassandra overcoming her past and learning how to appreciate the little things in life like reading books, her feelings, and good Chinese cuisines. I love this volume simply for the opening introduction where writer Sarah Kuhn tells us why Cassandra Cain is so significant and it’s pretty beautiful. Just goes to show the person who wrote the book had a lot of passion for her, and why she’s one of the best DC characters we ever got.

6 Likes