The Bias Toward Marvel in Comic Book History Discussions

So I just read through the “12 Trials of Wonder Woman” arc

It really got me thinking about how biased the history of comics is. We’ve all heard about WW’s famous mod era, but this arc actually wraps that whole era up. I was always under the impression that as soon as her memories were erased, everything about that era disappeared, never to be spoken of again.

This arc has a lot going for it, even continuity.

Older comic readers I ask this question. I know that history is written by the victors and sales wise Marvel was in fact dominating, but why is it presented as if DC NEVER did any of the things that Marvel credits to its comic book success?

8 Likes

I dunno. Most of the ages are defined by DC:

• Golden Age: the era that began with the introduction of Superman
  • Silver Age: the era that began with the introduction of Barry Allen
  • Bronze Age: the era that began with Jack Kirby moving to DC
  • Modern Age: the era that began after Crisis on Infinite Earths
11 Likes

That is what I have now come to believe. I know the Silver age is credited to both Spiderman, Stan Lee and the Flash, but listen to Comic Tropes and George RR Martin talk comics and it always turns into “Marvel comes in and saves the Day”

5 Likes

My Super Hero Genre History, part of Essential Resources in Community
Is heavily DC

Here is my link

6 Likes

Yes, I have seen that! It’s a great guide!

A lot of comic channels on Youtube seem to prefer Marvel, (Even saying that they are not big DC Fans). And their reasoning for Marvel being better is… based on personal preference. I wonder if the MCU has anything to do with that.

5 Likes

Millions of people know the Marvel Super Heroes through the MCU and the various Disney+ mini series.

I bought the first issues of Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers and X-men on the News Stand (I am 71 years old.)

They were way better than DC Comics at the same time.

When Batman was on TV, the comics got even worse.

It wasn’t until the Bronze Age that DC was good.

Today, I only read Fantastic Four and Daredevil Marvel Comics.

I buy current DC Comics on Comixology but only Scan through them.

In general Both DC and Marvel are in decline, mainly in poor storytelling, padded story arcs and characters that I am no longer interested in. That is why my history ends in December 2019.

The promise of Early Rebirth has been abandoned.

Hawkman was the last DC Comic I enjoyed.

7 Likes

Interesting. I quite enjoy the new stories, but that could be my age.

4 Likes

I may not be giving the new stories a good try.

My vision is poor and I mainly use my Android phone to read comics.

Large panel are very difficult to read. The dialogue of The Batman who Laughs is unreadable to me, with its red ink.

The perfect story for me to read is Watchmen, with its nine planel grid per page. The more a comic deviates from that, the more effort is required from me.

Often I just give up.

I grew up with comics having three or four stories in an issues. Though lacking much or even stupid characterization, these issues were easy to read, with no continuity.

Even early Marvel were ‘done in one’ issues or two heroes sharing a title.

Even DC Bronze Age comics had mostly stories complete in one issue. If not, like Steve Engelhart and Marshall Rogers Batman in Detective Comics, there was enough story in an issue to satisfy a reader.

Paul Levitz had a major plot in each issue of Legion of Super Heroes, with one or two minor plots also, which would become major plots as the older plot was resolved.

Now, with many writers, you have to read the prior issues in an arc to see what is going on. The stories are meant for trade, not single issues.

Sometimes it is a good writer on a title they are not suited for. Tomasi was great with Superman, Lois Lane and young Jon Kent but I would read his Batman and not remember what the story was about, a half hour later, even when the issue had a favorite guest star like the Spectre.

Bendis seems to be unsuitable for all his books, though previously he had a great track record at Marvel on team books, young heroes and street level heroes. I think he is just burnt out or has to follow dictates of poor editors.

Bendis has a great line up in Justice League. He only writes Naomi well, and GA and BC somewhat okay. His villains are ridiculous.

Peter David run on Young Justice was great. Bendis was not, partly because of adding new characters that did not jell with the originals

I liked Jon Kent as a ten year old. The Kent family was an ideal one, that I really enjoyed when my own family was terrible to me.

His method of aging Jon by keeping him as a prisoner in a volcano for seven years, without any emotional trauma, is the worst idea I have ever heard.

I do like the idea of less continuity, which allows for Superman 78 and Batman 89.

I like the larger size books, which allow less selling characters to continue, but the five dollar or more price is too high, since the stories move at a slow pace.

Titans Academy is far inferior to Geoff John’s Teen Titans. Therein both the Original Teen Titans acting as mentors to the Young Justice graduates were all given characterizations. All were great characters. In Titans Academy we see little of the original team and the new characters are non entities.

I read in Comic Book Roundup that Ram V is a good writer but I miss Alec and Abby, so I have not read the new Swamp Thing.

I liked Tom Taylor in Earth 2 very much but the violence and killing in many of his stories are not my cup of tea.

(I like Horror Comics. I came back to comics starting with Marvel Black and White Horror Magazines in 1973. I was a fan of Wolfman Colan Tomb of Dracula, Wein Wrightson Swamp Thing, and Adventure Comics The Spectre. But I like my super heroes without horror, especially Body Horror, as in New 52 Animal Man)

I hope this gives a better view of where I am at.

7 Likes

Just read the first four issues of

Superman Son of Kal el

Pretty Good

But again

Built for trade
Not for individual issues

Jon finally has a personality as an adult.

I still miss ten year old Jon.

Tomasi has so many great stories to write about him.

Seven years lost for no reason.

Maybe a recon and a seven year jump?

Then two separate titles.

It would satisfy everyone

8 Likes

That is something that I have been noticing with modern comics.

I picked up Wonder Woman 772 at the comic book store earlier this year to jump into her story. I was completely lost, I couldn’t read it. It’s part 3 of a 9 part arc and the book was doing nothing to catch me back up. I had to read the first 2 parts on DC Universe Infinite when they came out.

There is a Supersons Animated movie coming next year, hopefully that will wet some appetites.

5 Likes

It is fully CG and a battle movie, so I am not getting my hopes up as I hope to be wrong.

4 Likes

DC Comics does not care for new readers.

In the old days
When a lot more kids read comics
They could afford them only occasionally

As a result

They were very few even two part stories

Justice League of America had a two part story with the JSA each summer

Fantastic Four went to multiple issue stories around the time of Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Even then the first page of each issue would recap what happened and who the hero was.

After Crisis on Infinite Earth, DC abandoned that approach and lost the new reader.

Now to understand a series

You have to start with the first trade of that series in that era, not just any trade.

Or hope that any new writer tries to establish the setting so that a new reader can understand what is going on.

That is why there are very few new readers.

A newbie who has to spend five dollars on a comic and understands little is unlikely to give it a second try.

Event comics with dozens of issues are financially out of reach. Also it is likely that most new readers won’t get every issue even if they could afford it, since the comic book store may not enough copies.

Newbies do not have pull lists.

7 Likes

Look at my my complete list for New DC Readers. It is intended to introduce most of the major characters of the universe at a basic level. It is by year

Compare them to the comics coming out today.

6 Likes

There is no reason why Batman arcs have to be six issues and more

This is my
Batman for new readers

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is on account of a kind of “imprinting” from watching the 60s era Superman, Aquaman and Batman animated adventures as a kid or what but I feel most connected to the DC heroes and comics.

That is not to say I have anything against Marvel characters. In fact, Spider-Man and the more cosmic heroes like Doctor Strange, Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer are faves of mine as well. But I still am most hopelessly warm-hearted for DC.

Due to space and budget constrictions for the last few years, I’ve pretty much bought only select DC comics on a regular basis. These days it’s been the terrific Nightwing series.

Also, I’m very lucky to have had access to the Future State TPB volumes on hand at my local public library.

And, yes, I realize that, thanks in large part to the MCU in theaters, Marvel is riding higher at the box office and comic rack sales. But I still can’t do without my DC Heroes fix! :sweat_smile: :+1: :star2: :star_struck:

5 Likes

I cannot find Batman in that image. Is it Bruce Wayne to the left of Wonder Woman.

I am also having an urge to watch Superfriends!

4 Likes

That’s a great observation! I hadn’t realized Batman is missing in that group picture! I think that particular pin-up art was created to celebrate Superman’s co-stars in the “DC Comics Presents Superman” monthly comic. He and Batman were already regular co-stars in “World’s Finest”. :grin:

4 Likes

It’s just something you WOULD NOT see until recent days

3 Likes

Oh my God@TurokSonOfStone1950, you just echoed my feelings about current comics. The only Marvels I now read regularly are also Fantastic Four and Daredevil. Spider-Man is currently on the bubble (and that is so sad). And I have recently pared down my DC reading list to The Flash, Blue and the Gold, and Superman '78. The decompressed storytelling employed by both companies, the event obsession, and ham-fisting agendas over narratives have turned me away from the “big two”. For the first time in over 55 years, I will longer be reading Superman and Batman on a monthly basis! And that is VERY sad.
And yes, Silver Age Marvel Comics were better than Silver Age DC Comics, but not by that much. Remember DC had a stable of writers and artists that jumped-started a new age of comics. DC fell behind in the sixties because editorial read the room (the buying public) wrong. Not all comic readers were 8-12 years old. Stan and company recognized this and wrote to a slightly older audience. This practice brought in new readers, keep the ones they already had, and probably poached a slew of teen DC readers. DC didn’t start to catch up until Infantino became editorial director and welcomed budding young stars like Denny O’Neil. Neal Adams, Len Wein, recognized what he had in Jim Shooter and Cary Bates, and brought in Dick Giordano, Jim
Aparo and Steve Skeates from a rival company. And finally polished off his poaching be luring The KIng–Jack Kirby–from “the house of ideas”.

5 Likes

Is the only regular comic from the big 2 that I’m buying. And Daredevil is usually a good read, I wish the Big two had more genre books like they used to do. I love the 70’s horror comics

5 Likes