📚 Superman: For Tomorrow | Read Along | Birthday Bash! 🧁 | @ModernAgeSupermanClub

Calafiore is *chef’s kiss

Gleason may need to do some more research :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought this was just a cool looking image of Superman using his heat vision. Didn’t occur to me that it was a spoiler… (I would blur the image, but I feel like 18 years is enough time for this to be ok.)

One of my favorite moments from the series. It’s like Superman playing bad cop with the world :slightly_smiling_face:

I remember being shocked for a moment, then thinking about it and realizing that this is exactly what Diana would do and it’s what sets her apart from every other hero. “Make a hawk a dove, Stop a war with love”.

One of my favorite Wonder Woman moments of all time.

2 Likes

Haven’t read all the issues for this week yet, but I’m definitely enjoying this story so far. It’s interesting to read this now, because from what I understand, not only was this story very influential to how Superman was portrayed in the DCEU, but it’s actually Henry Cavill’s favorite Superman story.

I think you can definitely tell, from how it plays with how Superman affecting world events would realistically pan out, to the stuff with Superman and the priest. I feel like the scene in Man of Steel where Clark talks to the pastor in Smallville was an intentional nod to that story.

3 Likes

:exploding_head::star_struck::heart_eyes:

I didn’t know that! How cool!!!

3 Likes

Yep. He apparently talked about it a few years back on his Instagram:

And he also talked about how it’s a story that he would love to do for a future Superman movie.

4 Likes

Wanted to show this off – much like Lee’s previous large story in Batman: Hush, there was a two page story by Lee with Azzarello showing the basics of Superman’s origin, and much like Hush, it’s shown in the first pages of the trade collection of the story.

4 Likes

Thanks for the birthday wishes, all! :hugs:

Fun Fact: My birthday is on the 15th, so nobody’s belated in their :superman:uper greetings, which are just great!

A very special thanks to club Co-Leader @Bar-El for setting this up!
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2: :superman_hv_4:

I’ll chime in with my thoughts on the story soon enough, but I’m so glad everyone is enjoying it, thus far!

For Tomorrow truly is one of the best 21st century Superman tales, as well as being one of the best Superman stories in his overall modern oeuvre.

Talk soon, :superman:uper Fans!
:wave:t2: :clark_hv_4:

4 Likes

:partying_face: Good to see ya @Vroom! :birthday:

3 Likes

Well then, Happy Actual Birthday! :smiley:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday, good @Vroom!

I hope you’re enjoying yourself today. Thank you so much for being a special part of our community :heart: :superman_hv_2:

Btw, you’re a cool guy!

Oh… how cool, you ask?

This cool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Classic cover from Jim Lee (I’m drawing a blank on what ‘after M.B’ is referencing though…)

Love the Batman/Joker cameo, and Superman’s conversation with Batman as well.

Jim’s Fortress is breath taking

Hell of a cliffhanger :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If the promise of a showdown between Superman and Wonder Woman drawn by Jim Lee doesn’t get your blood going, we can’t be friends…

I need to see Jim draw more Superman rogues.

I didn’t catch this initially, the implication that Superman was behind the vanishing.

^ Underrated rivalry.

Love the bit that his blood cracks the blade.

“Time runs out through us” while we close in on an immortal woman’s face :relieved:

2 Likes

One of my favorite Superman covers

Love the conversation Superman has with ‘Clark’.

This peach metaphor always stuck with me. Great way to visualize why Superman helping us wouldn’t hinder us.

Iconic moment.

Beautiful splash page.

One of my all time favorite cliffhangers. I was beyond excited that General Zod vs Superman drawn by Jim Lee

3 Likes

They had spent some time showing how formidable Equus is, so to see Zod show up holding him on a chain like a dog was a great reintroduction.

It was very Superman of this to be his response to that question: trying to come up with a way to save everyone.

A very “All Star Superman” way to show Superman’s origin quickly, but with enough nor to miss anything.

If I could sign into law that going forward, all dialouge intended for General Zod must be written by Azzarello, I would. It is just…chefs kiss perfect.

3 Likes

chills!

2 Likes

Michaelangelo Buonarroti

his sculpture Pieta

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

One of my favorite covers of all time. ‘Superman vs General Zod inside the Phantom Zone’ is a phrase give me goosebumps

Jaw droppingly gorgeous.

“I opened my eyes wide. They dried, then cracked…but I wouldn’t blink…”

THAT’S Zod.

exquisite-68234644~2

3 Likes

That was a very interesting conversation, especially when you consider how Azzarello has written Batman in the past.

Batman in Azzarello’s past work like Broken City would describe his life before his parent’s murder as being “before I was what I am.” I don’t know if he’s fully said it, but from this and other scenes in his work with Batman, you get the vibe that he subscribes to the “Batman is the real identity, Bruce Wayne is the mask” idea of Batman’s psychology. It’s not the route I personally prefer, but I can see why it’s appealing for certain writers and you can do interesting things with it.

Anyway, during that conversation, Superman rebukes Batman calling him Clark and asks him to instead call him “Kal-El.” During this whole conversation, and really, some of the previous issues, Superman feels…off, aloof, a little unhinged, he’s hurting and scared and is retreating from his circle of peers and isolating himself. And at the end, when Superman leaves, Batman’s last words are, “My name is Bruce.”

Maybe this is me projecting into the work, but I think this conversation shook Bruce to the core. Bruce sees in someone who while they don’t always agree on everything, is still the closest thing he has to a friend, start to talk like what he thinks in his own head, and it scares him. It’s a very illuminating scene.

Oh man, I didn’t notice that detail! That’s really cool. I kind of felt like the action, while solid in figure work, kind of got obstructed with the panel layout, but details like that does help amp it up a bit.

That is a great quote. I also loved in this page (and a lot of the rest of this arc) the way Superman thinks about Lois. “She has her faults, of course, but they only prove to make her perfect.” You can really feel the warmth and love the two have, such good stuff.

THANK YOU. I was trying to google search for that and I just wasn’t getting anything. I guess both of them being more on their feet and Wonder Woman’s sword was throwing me off.

2 Likes

“Isn’t my existence proof enough that there can be happy endings?” - said while he’s uppercutting Zod so hard he smashes his helmet. They could have stopped there and I’d still have given the story a round of applause.

I remember staring at this page for twice as long as I normally do. Just taking it in.

This one too :grin:

‘Kick his ass and save the day’. That’s why Lois has a Pullitzer :smile::grin:

My father saved me. I choose to save others. You can’t save someone who won’t save themselves.

This story hits deep with the questions it asks you as a reader, and this ending doesn’t dissapoint.

2 Likes