[Superman Fan Club] Presents: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS Week 11

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 11 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (1976) .

This time around: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #11, with Gerry Conway as writer (now freelancer) and Mike Vosburg, artist with Joe Orlando, inks! The new improved Wizard awaits!

(click the blur below to go to the comic)

Q&A:

1. It’s becoming obvious who Captain Comet’s girl friend is, but why doesn’t she have a French accent?

2. Do you feel she is really head over heels for the good Captain or is she up to no good?

3. How satisfied are you with how the “mystery benefactor” storyline played out to a conclusion this issue?

4. What exactly is the Floronic Man / Jason Woodrue up to here, and does his quest continue elsewhere in the vast DC Bronze Age landscape?

The previous chapter to this “denouement” story is in Super Team Family #14 and here are some fun panels from the issue as it is not yet digitized on DC Universe Infinite (beyond what is shown in this comic that is)!!

I read THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #11
  • Yes, I did!

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

Now it’s time to post more images from Super Team Family #14 that occurred just before this issue, but sadly are not digitized yet.

Scene 1:

Scene 2:

Scene 3:

Scene 4:

Scene 5:

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And our DC Community Live Chat room is here: Chat #Superman Fan Club

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday November 3rd!

2 Likes

Wizard, love the new look! That is you, right Wizard?

2 Likes
  1. Because Conway is writing eighteen comics a month and he forgot a couple of things.

2. Like Catwoman, probably a bit of both, but we’ll never know the conclusion.

3. Very satisfied, especially when the money changes back into leaves.

4. He appears with the SSOSV over the next few years before Alan Moore starts using him in Swamp Thing in 1984.

NOTE #1: This is Funky Flashman’s final Pre-Crisis appearance.

NOTE #2: In the letter column they are running a popularity poll for a villain to guest star in SSOSV. To no one’s surprise, the Joker is leading.

2 Likes

Oh yeah here’s that letters page:

I also saw this interesting offer in the same comic as well as in Super Team Family #14:

I’m planning to check the web to see if anyone’s selling what these kits looked like.

1 Like

Had my mom allowed me to spend money on postage (13 cents per envelope) I would have gone for…

Batman
Black Lightning
Flash
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice Society
Legion of Super-Heroes
Shazam!
Superman
Wonder Woman

2 Likes

Well, this woman is obviously very good at maintaining multiple identities. Maybe she’s just a great actress? Maybe it’s like with Pre-Crisis Supes and she just picks up and drops new secret identities at will? Maybe she was never really French at all…

I could be wrong, but I kind of do believe her feelings are genuine. The good Captain is a nice guy. That could be refreshing to a woman who has only known cads and super-villains. It also probably doesn’t hurt that he’s well-built.

If that is the conclusion then I’m not very satisfied. I mean, yes, it makes sense that the Wizard would want the sorcerer’s treasures to restore his fading powers, and that does actually fit the ongoing narrative. However, he’s not the most exciting answer to the “mystery benefactor” question, is he?

Young Jason is on a quest to save the planet by turning everyone into plant people! The first time I ran into him as a character was in Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing, so I’ll say that’s where he pops up next. In a more recent comics, Jason has actually changed his mission and philosophy…

1 Like

Thanks for the intriguing direction on the Plant Man / Jason Woodrow / the Floronic Man, @TheCosmicMoth !

One other slight let down for me on the conclusion of this particular storyline is that we had that wonderful set of new villains at the end of issue 10 that I was looking forward to reading the story of, but they were only featured together in the DC Special Series #6 issue that we don’t have digitized yet.

My assumption is that because it was a Special that it might be available when they’re done digitizing the rest of the SSOSV issues in the next month or so.

If they don’t I suppose I’ll have to go find that issue as well LOL.

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to say that we were teased with Bizarro and Ivy, but we got no Bizarro and Ivy… Hopefully it is digitized or it’s easy for you to find, LOL!

I guess the next step in the storyline from this “class photo” is actually pretty brutal, but still I’m curious to read it.

1 Like

I was wondering where Poison Ivy was. I thought I had missed an issue for a moment.

2 Likes

A fine copy goes for $6 and it’s better than most $5.99 comics put out these days.

2 Likes