[Superman Fan Club] Presents: THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS in the 70’s Week 21 February 3rd 2023

[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Secret Society of Super-Fans!

Welcome to Week 21 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week (as they are digitally published that is) of THE SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS 1970s adventures .

This time around: Justice League of America #167 (June 1979), with Gerry Conway as writer, Dick Dillin, Artist, and Frank McLaughlin, inks.

Click below to read the issue in DC Universe Infinite:

Q&A:

1. Can you relate to busy Superman’s procrastination that ended up saving the day for our heroes?

2. How much did you like the scene when Red Tornado is revived?

3. Did the ending this issue give you a slight shock???

I read Justice League of America #167
  • Yes, I did!

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of Secret Society of Super-Fans

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: [Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club] Superman fan club - DC Community

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , where currently we are featuring a weekly old time Superman newspaper Sunday strip in color, click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And our DC Community Live Chat room is here: Chat #Superman Fan Club

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Long of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle). The next one is planned for Thursday March 2nd at 9 pm ET!

4 Likes

This is part two of three…then, we will bid adieu, adieu to the SSOSV!!

2 Likes
  1. Oh just about everyday, I recall something I should have finished months ago.
  2. To be expected actually, why wouldn’t he react like that.
  3. Not really, the benefits of the body swap would naturally be using your former enemies Allie’s to defeat them.
2 Likes

I was surprised to see this would be three issues of a story.

I just wonder how the villains knew that the heroes escaped from that Cube? Maybe the Wizard put a magical alarm on it.

2 Likes

Well you had me at “Superman’s procrastination” and I’m intrigued!

3 Likes

Yes, they knew how to stretch out a story back then.

2 Likes

Went back and read last week’s for context. Definitely can relate to Superman and loved Red Tornado being revived.

Curious to see what happens.

3 Likes

Enjoy! This is my first time reading this three-part story as well!

2 Likes

Since we’re coming to the end of this story arc, can I please request we have some Red Kryptonite stories? Those are often a lot of fun.

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can find!

3 Likes
  1. I can definitely relate to Superman’s procrastination. Maybe too much! However, that kind of procrastination doesn’t seem that super.
  2. I liked the Red Tornado scene if for no other reason than I always liked the bronze age Tornado’s design. It was cool to see the League figure out their newly acquired powers. I also love that the Society didn’t think about this whole body transfer thing thorough too thoroughly.
  3. The ending did shock me a little; at first, I thought it was more body-swapped society members, but thankfully Oliver clued me in!
3 Likes

Very much so considering I was very late to my response for Week 20! I’m a procrastination pro. Otherwise, it was really in character with how Superman approached his JL duties back in the day. In the Silver Age, he was often absent because he was “busy with a mission in space.” C’mon Supes, be a better teammate…

It was kind of funny that the Justice League, even in their “new bodies,” struggled to contain Red Tornado who has spent most of his history losing fights and generally being considered a lesser hero. It was also reminiscent of times when Reddy has been sent to infiltrate and defeat the JL. Ultimately, though, I was once again left feeling bad for Red Tornado as he was subdued by a bit of overkill when Zatanna couldn’t properly control Sapphire’s gem.

Not as much as it did the Justice League :laughing:! But… nah. The cover pretty much tells you what’s going to happen, and, if you’ve read enough superhero comics and body swap stories, it’s not much of a surprise. I’m excited to see Zatanna against the world in the next issue, though.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, Ollie was on the cover wasn’t he…

2 Likes

Yeah I agree I thought the Red Tornado was presented about as powerful as I’ve ever seen him.

Now I want to go look up Red Tornado stories!

2 Likes