[Superman Fan Club] Presents: DC Challenge #9 / Challenge of the Superfans Season 3 Week 7

Welcome to Week 7 of Season 3 of a very special [Superman Fan Club] challenge / contest, reading **one single issue a week from the currently- digitized DC Universe Infinite collection of Silver and Bronze Age Superman and Family comic over an interesting space of time (we had to read issues #1-3 for the first week to keep up with each new issue being freshly-digitized) – open to one and all!

As always, you can go back and read an issue and comment on it weeks after it is posted.

This time around: DC Challenge # 9, written at the very precipice of the Bronze Age before the Crisis rolled in the Modern Age officially at DC Comics . This is the Pre-Bryne Superman, the pre-Perez Wonder Woman.

#9 β€œAll this, and World War, too?”

Writer: Roy Thomas Artist: Don Heck

(link above is blurred to avoid spoilers for this 37 year old story)

Q & A:

1. How would you rate this tale by Roy Thomas and Don Heck compared to the previous issues?

2. Do you feel like this issue finally has explained everything going on in a way that makes sense?

3. Did you have a favorite obscure hero or team that appeared this time around?

I read DC Challenge #9
  • Yes I did

• Oops, I did not

0 voters

Please share any favorite heroes / villains from this time around below.

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Longs of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle), the next one being Thursday September 7th !!

2 Likes

I admit it, my head is still spinning from the Roy Thomas " Mr comic book history" treatment this time around.

1 Like

@Mystery_and_wonder @patterson65.37405 @RexRebel @scoop001

1 Like

My head spun as I read this, too!

1. As much as I like this series, this is my least favorite issue. I like how ridiculously convoluted the explanation of what has happened over previous issues is, but what a heavy-handed exposition!
  2. Yes, I think the explanation made sense and the writers must have had copious notes!
  3. I am always happy when Raven shows up in any book and was both happy to see Challengers of the Unknown and disturbed by this specific incarnation of them.
2 Likes

I have to say that to this day, my fav version of the Challengers of the Unknown is the original Silver Age Kirby one.

But I’m always glad to see someone try to bring them back.

1 Like

Hi @don-el! :smiling_face:

Is this a stand-alone issue? Meaning, if I read it, will it make sense on its own, or do I need to read 1-8 to understand it?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello hello @JLWWSM ! This particular issue, the plot is actually fully explained during the issue, so if you want, please join in.

I hope you and yours are having a great summer!

2 Likes