[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Super Fans: Season 2! An Issue a Week of Superman Silver or Bronze Age: Week 5

Challenge of the Superfans Season 2 Week 5

Welcome to Week 5 of Season 2 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week from the currently- digitized DC Universe Infinite collection of Silver and Bronze Age Superman and Family comic over a three month timeframe!

This time around: Silver Age!

Superman’s Girl Friend Lois Lane #16 (released November 1959)

The Silver Age comes early in the Lois Lane series of the late ‘50s! Three wild tales in one slim comic book! Bring back bright yellow backgrounds for comic book covers!

• “Lois Lane’s Signal Watch” (about time!)
• “The Mystery of Skull Island” (like, why is it a skull?)
• “The Kryptonite Girl” (ooo ooo The Kryptonite Girl)

I read Superman’s Girl Friend Lois Lane #16
  • Yes I did
  • Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition SEASON TWO of The Challenge of the Superfans

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

1 Like

These eyes…

1 Like

Fun stories. Superman was very harsh toward Lois, calling her an idiot and a pest. I liked the little comic in between that explained the slang.

1 Like

I like how they give some depth to Lois’s character. She’s almost like an antihero in these stories.

Superman does come off as quite borish and mean I agree.

1 Like

“LOIS LANE’S SIGNAL WATCH”

Jimmy gets a comic, then Lois gets one. He gets a signal watch, now she gets one. Superman should have just stuck with his first instinct. Lucy’s signal watch story is in Jimmy Olsen #37. I’m with Superman on this one, she is being a pest and it’s lucky her “crying wolf” didn’t kill her. Jerry Siegel writes this “women… can’t understand 'em” story.

“MYSTERY OF SKULL ISLAND”

Robert Bernstein writes this clever little mystery tale. Here Lois gets to figure out the mystery and doesn’t even need help from meddling kids and their dog. Daily Planet’s sales must have been down for Perry to send Lois and Clark off to get a sensational celebrity story. Since its Superman, we know the butler didn’t do it.

According to the GCD, the “talk of the teen” feature is from the comic A Date With Judy #8 in 1949. It may have been a bit out of style by 1960.

“KRYPTONITE GIRL”

Jerry Siegel returns for the finale where Superman has to come up with another idea to keep Lois from learning his secret identity. As usual, she walks right into it and the plan works. Nice to know she can have a backup career teaching English to others. Just as long as she doesn’t try teaching them to spell.

2 Likes

Thanks again Captain, your facts and observations again much appreciated!

I just noticed oddly they don’t show the price of the comic on this digitized version’s cover. I guess that’s so if you buy it on Comixology you don’t demand to get it for a dime.

There’s that price!

Speaking of CGC, I had the worst experience with that group. I sort of understand why they exist so I went ahead and sent three what I thought were rare comics to them in decent shape through one of the comic dealers I buy from.

One year later I got them back. They are all rated like four or maybe five. And the worst part was they were vacuum sealed so I couldn’t look at them anymore lol.

1 Like