[Superman Fan Club] Presents: Challenge of the Super Fans: Season 2! An Issue a Week of Superman Silver or Bronze Age: Week 4

Challenge of the Superfans Season 2 Week 4

Welcome to Week 4 of Season 2 of a very special challenge / contest , reading one single issue a week from the currently- digitized DC Universe Infinite collection of Silver and Bronze Age Superman and Family comic over a three month timeframe!

This time around: Silver Age!

ADVENTURE COMICS (1938-) #310 (07/03/63) Adventure Comics (1938-) #310

Just the third story in the back of the comic for this club, “When Krypto Became Superboy’s Master!”

I flipped through the last story of ADVENTURE COMICS (1938-) #310
  • Yes I did
  • Oops, I did not

0 voters

Here are the latest exciting standings of this very special limited-edition of The Challenge of the Superfans

To join the [Superman Fan Club] (and enjoy the chic benefits of membership such as direct messaging for club members only and our occasional audio Discord [Superman Fan Club] chats), click here: Click Here to Join the Superman Fan Club

To stop by the Superman Fan Club Lounge Area , click here: Club Lounge Room Entrance

And be sure keep an eye out for our once a month first Thursday evening of the month Listen A Longs of the classic 1940’s Superman Radio Show adventures (in the Watchalong aisle).

1 Like

Woof!

2 Likes

Any idea why this last story wasn’t colored? It was a mildly amusing story, typical of what I remember for Superboy stories back then.

1 Like

I think this is one of the earlier issues digitized and this is all they had to work with apparently

2 Likes

To see it in color, there are definitely places you can find on the web for that.

2 Likes

Did anyone else notice that Professor Lang was called Professor Kent several times in the second story? I also didn’t mind the story being in in black and white. It actually looks pretty good that way.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed the Legion opener. We have had Brainiac 5, now Mxyzptlk V, I wonder what Terra Man 5 is going to look like.

The Superboy feature is written by George Kashdan and drawn by George Papp. How often does a superhero try to protect someone from charges of academic fraud so they can get a promotion? I love that now Krypto is in charge, he’s going to milk it to the last drop. The faces they put on him like a stern 1950s dad are just great. Yes, they’re running a scam, but it’s enjoyable.

3 Likes

Lots to cogitate about concerning Adventure Comics (1938-) #310. Like, how nature everyone is acting at the university when several professors gather round in a room…and Superboy AND Krypto AND Professor Lang’s teen age daughter are all hanging around like they should be there.

I guess I keep reading these wacky Silver Age DC comics because…they’re just so dog-gone good!

2 Likes

@RexRebel For some reason I thought you read this one?

2 Likes

I missed this one, but will read it now, and comment shortly.

2 Likes

As to the masked man, it was impressive seeing him crush the legion, and I did like the scene with all the lightning early on when the first Legionaires died, reminiscent of lighting lad being brought back to life. I enjoyed the way SB tricked the masked man, a bit ingenious compared to the normal ways to get him to say their name. As to The Krypto/SB swap it was an enjoyable tale, and well done, and I do wonder why it was black and white though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the note.

2 Likes

All good later I’ll attempt to change my photograph of the standings LOL

2 Likes