:00_superman1:Superman and Lois S2 Discussion Thread :00_superman1:

E14

Great episode

Clark without powers and the invasion/merge is full force. Red sons cause panic can the family set up.

Nice stuff between Lana and Kyle. And at the town hall great too.

Jordan steps up and reveals it all to Sara in an effort to save her and his family. Greta fight an Nat saves the day.

Now steel stranded and the world changing now more than ever.

Can they save the world? Can they stop the merge? Can Steel be saved? All this and more on the epic season finale Same :superman:uper Time Same :superman:uper Channel

4 Likes

I think they had more plans for it but Covid definitely changed a lot of those.

4 Likes

I think I understand where you’re coming from. And I suppose that “passively” giving a reason for Kara’s absence during these “crisis” moments might mean little to some. On the other hand, acknowledging her existence, as well as that of the Flash, Manhunter and others (likewise unavailable) might add a little more credibility to a wonderful show. That for all it’s pluses, exists with it’s head in the sand, regarding the roots of it’s own origin.

Look, I’m not trying to be argumentative here. But disavowing the crossover nature of those past series (whatever your feelings for them) as being inconsequential, particularly Supergirl, seems a little off base. So, any nod to the Arrowverse (as you mentioned) will definitely receive a :+1: from me.

I do agree that creating a JLA, and then doing nothing with them, seems wasteful. How much of that had to with Covid or all the hubbub surrounding the Snyderverse, is anybody’s guess. And given the slash 'n burn actions of the new WB/Discovery to their CW produced products, makes that even more unlikely now. But who knows what the future holds for the remainder of the DC/CW lifecycle. They may still surprise us. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Would receive a :+1: from me as well. Look I wasn’t trying to argue that the simple acknowledgment you value is a bad thing, nor was I “disavowing” anything (bit harsh there, friend!) All I was trying to say is that if it’s not consequential to the story, then its absence doesn’t really bother me all that much.

In this interview panel, Todd Helbing says that at the end of the season we’ll get answers regarding the show’s Arrowverse connections (last question at the very end). Maybe the finale will have a nice surprise up its sleeve :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

Sorry if disavow was a poor choice of wording. In my conversational exuberance, I got a little carried away. Still friends I hope? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Always!

Also, no apologies needed :grinning:

3 Likes

Well after 2 full seasons, we finally have an explanation for my biggest question/problem w/ the show. Sam’s comment about seeing the heroes of other earths and how Clark is the only hero of this world confirms what many of us have suspected all along: this show does not take place on Earth-Prime. As much as I hate that they straight up lied to us about this being in the Arrowverse proper at the start, I also have a weird sense of relief about this. I always got the sense the show never even wanted to be in the Arrowverse in the 1st place, and now we know it’s literally not. I still don’t think it was the best move from the beginning, but given how everything’s played out, it does still make some sense

Also, this is a relatively small thing, but how the hell was Clark able to breathe in space w/out powers?

6 Likes

Maybe Kryptonians have slight biological differences making this possible.

3 Likes

The reveal made me think of the behind the scenes stuff mentioned in other interviews by the show runner and he followed up on those here as well:

I’m just thinking back to lines in Season 1 like Lois saying “What we’ve learned about the multiverse” has a different meaning now in that they learned it through the DOD.

5 Likes

That point about the other Arrowverse being canceled also makes this make more sense. After all this, I’m sure the CW wanted this to be a full Arrowverse show at 1st but clearly the writers didn’t, and now after these changing circumstances, it made it easier for them to just confirm it’s on another earth

5 Likes

Glad I watched this episode on TV rather than my laptop like usual. Those effect sequences were awesome and eases the pain of all the hiatuses, just a bit :ok_hand:

Jordan had a great transformation through Season 2.

For Jonathan there was some set up that didn’t go anywhere really. The stuff with him and the XK girlfriend stopped at a point until she just appeared with him at the end, the suit being offered to him by Nat… I honestly don’t remember if they resolved the issues with him, the school and teammates. But we did get the set up with him meeting Lara + the Kryptonian tech Clark mentioned :eyes:

While Jonathan’s arc wavered several others shined, I think Nat’s became stronger as it went along and Kyle’s was really great and bittersweet. Of course JHI is great as usual and Jordan became an MVP as well.

I can forever watch Tyler as Superman and Bitsie as Lois. :star_struck:

Great to see Tal-Roh again and his growth. Wonder if the the revelation of his wife or escapades on Bizarro World will lead to anything. :thinking:

In retrospect Ally wasn’t as captivating a villain as hoped. The cult arc admittedly become tiring mainly due to Lucy. Coming back from a hiatus and remember we’re still doing this with Lucy being a butt to Lois and Sam became annoying.

The good outweighed the lacking aspects still. Hopefully S3 will be even better.

4 Likes

I had also been hoping that Diggle’s appearance might offer at least a hint that the GL story isn’t actually over, but now that we know this isn’t the same Dig we had seen on Flash, Batwoman and Supergirl over the last couple years, it seems that whole thread really is completely finished

3 Likes

I enjoyed the season finale. If I have a gripe, it’s those damned delays between episodes. It kills the momentum when you have a new episode, then three weeks until then next one, then two weeks after that.

I really hope they get things straightened out next season when it comes to hiatuses between episodes.

6 Likes

True story: I was grinning ear to ear when Clark came out of the sun, the S and suit threads glowing in gold, and defeated Parasite. “Here, have some more!” Ha!. I was chuckling in glee when he flew around the world, Chris Reeve style, not to turn back time, but to gain momentum for that badass stomp that separated the two earths. I was clapping and cheering when with everybody else on the show when he made his triumphant return to Earth and Smallville. Whispers of “Clark” and cheers or “Superman!” sent chills through my bones. That scene where Lois calls out “Superman” in the crowd, for them to only look at each other without getting too close too keep the secret? That felt potent.

Guys… that was the best hour of DC entertainment I’ve had the pleasure of watching in recent memory. No cynicism, no corny humor, no deconstruction, no “grounding in reality”; just pure superhero joy. It was hopeful, it was exciting, it was emotional, it had action, it had drama, and it was respectful to the character & legend of Superman.

Side notes:

• Was nice to see Superman’s power levels this high.
  • John and Natasha Irons are solid additions to the Superman family.
  • Just make Tal-Rho a regular. I’m enjoying the character that he’s becoming.
  • Really looking forward to this new Fortress of Solitude and what it means for the whole family.
  • The revelation that the show is set on a separate Earth from the rest of the CW shows didn’t bother me at all. I think it’s a smart move, especially with those shows getting cancelled/winding down. So much they can do with the Super family going forward now that they’re not tied down. They don’t have to of course, but they have options should they choose to.
  • I was a bit envious of the kids with Superman figures during the celebration in Smallville. Where’s my Tyler Hoechlin Superman action figure, McFarlane?
5 Likes

Are Jordan and Sarah back?!!!

2 Likes

I agree with you about the revelation. I thought I’d be angry about it. It turns out I’m actually cool with it.

If anything it reaffirms what I want with it being it’s own thing. This doesn’t mean I don’t want them to eventually meet other heroes in crossovers and stuff. If anything we can finally put an end to the questions about Kara because oh my god those were getting on my nerves.

5 Likes

This. They started talking and I was thinking “Clark should be dead. Just being in space should have killed him. That’s why his Mother thought it was so dangerous.” :laughing:

I like the arrowverse explanation but I don’t understand why we couldn’t have gotten the same exact line in season one somewhere? What was the big deal? Sam could have said the same thing and explained all the issues away.

It was nice to see Tal again although all he did was throw Clark into the sun and then this:

I like that Chrissy knows now. She deserves it. And Lana and Clark talked it out which was good too.

The new Fortress is a neat idea. I can’t wait to see Jonathan get some cool stuff.

Did this show get renewed for season three or was it just not cancelled yet? So much happened in the Arrowverse that I don’t remember anymore.

4 Likes

It already got renewed, though we won’t see season 3 start until at least early next year

4 Likes

Thanks! With all the cancellations I couldn’t remember the status of this show.

4 Likes

I explained this away by assuming being that close to the sun was starting to restore him, or Tal was somehow lending him some power. More fun explanation: It’s Superman.

Tom Helbing said in an interview that they initially wanted to tie in, but it didn’t work out for various logistical and creative reasons, at which point WB wanted them to keep a lid on it.

It’s renewed :grinning:

4 Likes