Superman and Action: Bendis ongoing series Superman 21 Open for Discussion

msgtv I appreciate you for having empathy for my disappointment in Bendis run. It just wasn’t Super Sons being canceled that made me bumed out. It was also the fact that my favorite run of Superman that was the beginning of Rebirth written by Peter J Tomasi also ended. Having Lois/Jon/Superman be a normal happy stable family was the most touching thing about Tomasi run.

Also when all three of them would interact with Batman and Damian were they would have different views on things but still respect each other. When Batman is talking about Jon being a potential threat because he might wind up being stronger then Superman. I like this exchange.

Batman: It’s easy for you to be optimistic tucked away out here, Superman. But out in the world, the darkness is real and growing.

Superman: Then we need to shine brighter.

Also when Jon is in Kansas sees a couple of muggers attempting a robery in gotham, he wants to stop it. Superman is standing right next to Batman and goes “Bruce its your city” to which Batman says “Be my guest.”

Switching gears my favorite moment in Super Sons is just after Jon loses control and his solar flare activates that could have potentially killed all of the teen titans. Up to this point both Jon and Damian had been growing mutual respect for each other. When Jon is worried he might have potentially hurt or even killed them Damian to calm him down and to stop overthinking slams him against the wall and says this “Listen to me Jon. I checked the titans vitals before we left. They are all fine, unconcious, but fine. You didn’t hurt or kill anybody. GOT IT?”

4 Likes

Also surprised its been this long into Bendis Superman run and Jon still hasn’t met back up with Damian. How long has it been since Jon came back with his trip with Jor-El?

It’s going to be really interesting to see Damian reaction to his best friend being an older teenager.

1 Like

Also I think you would like Superman/Batman that I think just got released this Wednesday. I read the first page at my local comic shop and just from reading that one page made me buy it. Apparently the person writing it is currently writing Flash Rebirth and now that run is on my must read list.

1 Like

JohnnyO had I the talent to write the book I would have left the family in Hamilton County longer. That’s not something we’ve seen before, with the three of them and their community. Don’t think Jon was back for long at all (few days?) before they had to had back out.

1 Like

Oh, I read Batman Superman earlier today. Really liked it. The interaction between the two was great. I don’t normally care for the hero goes evil stories but I was “holy crap” at the end of this one.

2 Likes

Oh my bad man. I wasn’t clear about the Batman/Superman comic. I have still only read the first page. Its in my stack of comics I still need to read. Now you have me curious if its Batman or Superman who goes evil.

1 Like

Johnny come back with your reaction

1 Like

I dug Batman/Superman #1, especially the last page.

I haven’t finished The Batman Who Laughs, but I understood what was going on just fine.

2 Likes

Didn’t read Laughs either don’t need it for this book. But man, that last page

2 Likes

So, are we chatting 'bout all of the current Superman books now, or are Action and Superman still the main focus?

Because…Lois Lane is great!

1 Like

Well,it’s the Bendis thread but the other books like to insert themselves.

1 Like

Couple things I still don’t quite understand. How did Krypton destroy Rogol Zaar’s race (or why is he convinced they’re responsible)? He is revealed to be Kryptonian in this last issue, which complicates things a bit more. I’m guessing there is more to be revealed later? Or did I miss something?

1 Like

msgtv well I didn’t see that coming in Batman/Superman with neither of them going bad but a different hero turning bad. After that reveal this is now my most must read monthly comic.

Vroom the reason the Lois comic is so good is because its written by Greg Rucka. If you want another comic with a well written main female character checkout his independent comic Lazarus.

Sorry for derailing this thread with discussions of other books.

1 Like

Moro I’m where you are on those questions

JohnnyO derailing is what we do here, it’s all good. I was going to say sorry for spoilers, but since you were headed in the wrong direction figured it was better to let you go that way. Pretty good ending though.

I like Lazarus but the economic system bugs me. For that high tech a society to work you would need an aristocratic class below the family’s and maybe an artisan class of high tech workers. I know I should go with the flow, but…

1 Like

Well since we are talking about greg rucka, his comics, and well written female characters you should really checkout his punisher run. He created a female character named Rachel Cole. She is a former Marine like Frank. She ran into him hunting the same people. Her entire wedding was massacred by them and she was the sole survivor. Frank giving a run down on his methods and mindset of what his mission is to her and their interactions with each other is some of the best writing that Rucka has done. Also if you read it don’t worry there is no romantic feelings for each other. Just fellow marines on a mission to take out a high tech criminal organization.

Also I’m a little mad at Disney for shutting down a fan film project based on that run. If you are interested checkout the trailer. The reason Frank looks wounded in the trailer is because near the beginning of the comic run he was attacked by a vulture like Spider-Man villain that spit acid.

https://youtu.be/AH_UI_KgO7s

2 Likes

Also the actors who play Frank and Rachel in the trailer look so much like the characters from that run.

2 Likes

Now going back to Bendis run how well do you think he writes Jon? Is he now an angsty teenager now that he is aged up or does he still have his carefree optimistic outlook on life? Also has all three characters Lois/Sups/Jon been re united? Or just Sups and Jon at this point?

1 Like

And about Lazarus you are right. It just seems there is the family, the lower class, and thats it. I guess you could say the scientists/medical personnel are middle class with how they live I don’t know but its a good point you bring up.

1 Like

No, Bendis hasn’t made Jon into the teen stereotype. One of the things I enjoyed was Jan and Kara’s back and forth, both in Superman and Supergirl. It felt like real cousins to me.

1 Like

Because of you I’m going to give Bendis run another shot.

1 Like