Supergirl to be cancelled and replaced with Superman show?

I saw a rumor that they are considering cancelling Supergirl and giving us a Superman series. I like the character, but that show is the least fun of all of the CW shows IMO for the last few years.

I like the guy playing Superman so that could be fun if they just tell good stories and not dive headlong into social issues every episode.

Do we think she dies in the crisis event?

4 Likes

I hope so, Supergirl is one show that I don’t watch. It would also be comics accurate for her to die.

Supergirl is my favorite current CW DC show but if it does exit to make way for Superman, I’d be fine with that. The world needs Superman, particularly Tyler Hoechlin’s version.

Nevertheless, I’ll wait for Crisis and official developments to come along before accepting Chicken Little-style rumors.

Superman, Lois and young Jon would make for a great show, preferably here on the DCU. Agree, it’s to early to speculate about CW shows, but the Crisis would be a perfect way to end Supergirl on a high note.

2 Likes

It seems to me that there were clues’ crossover event, that there may be a way out for Supergirl and the Flash having to die. I am guessing that it might mean and exit for Oliver Queen. But that does not mean the end of the show, Arrow. A probably replacement Green Arrow has already been introduced.

What they CW writers really have in mind though, is anybody’s guess. For those of us not in the know, anyway.

MACJR

Seem to have dropped part of what I was thinking, that should read, “there were possible clues in this seasons Arrowverse crossover event that…”. and the rest of what I said I still stand by.

MACJR

I wish they’d just add more and not cancel. Supergirl isn’t my fave in the Arrowverse but it’s still freaking SuperGirl which makes it better than most other shows. Need to make room get rid of that darn Charmed reboot.

1 Like

Given it was one lone article I don’t know if I believe it. But I love Superman so would not hate it. Always up for a Superman TV series.

2 Likes

@DTMO1, I agree. Superman flavored TV has been absent from the airwaves for far too long. At least we have a good amount of his shows here.

1 Like

I would loooooooove this to be true. Superman, Lois, and Jon would be so fun. A spinoff down the road with Jon and Damian would be amazing. God, I hope Berlanti pulls the plug on Supergirl and give us a Superman show.

2 Likes

I don’t think this will happen because it’s one of their top shows and going off the CW’s politics it doesn’t seem like a move they would do. The only way I can see this happening is if DC is really thinking about making a Supergirl movie. Another problem will be the cast. Are people like Jimmy Olsen going to move to the Superman show? The whole thing just seems unlikely.

Jimmy could go to the hypothetical Superman show. Its not unheard of in genre TV for characters to go from one show to another. I’m sure Mehcad Brooks would be for it.

In any event, we’ll see what’s what later in the year.

1 Like

It would represent an enormous change in direction, as the theme of the entire series up until now has been female empowerment. I think if we got a Superman show, it would be completely divorced from Supergirl. Otherwise it reads as “Stand back and let the MAN handle this,” and that’s not a good look.

2 Likes

/
|
This

Would be kind of nice if the 60th anniversary of Supergirl isn’t an ode to being whisked away to give Superman more space. :smiley:

I doubt it but sure hope that rumor is true

1 Like

@HubCityQuestion, I do not buy into the theory that a Superman TV series would detract from the Supergirl TV show. Yes, if they brought out a Superman TV show that did treat Supergirl as an underling, or second rate hero, then that would be an issue, and not cool. However, it does not need to be that way, at all.

Superman should neither be the dominate or the submissive character of the two. They should be equal partners in the fight to so what is right. Both respectful of each other.

So far, this the working theory is flawed, with the handling of superman as a second rate hero, just to promot women empowerment. I find that more harmful than positive in bringing women up to an equal status with men. Yes, they way it has been treated so far does help make women feel more powerful, but it also tends to make some feel like they are the better sex, and thus end up hating men even more because in their reality, many are just not being treated as equals, let alone as the dominate gender. Thus, creating and even bigger divide between male and female.

I think this needs to be corrected now. Tone down the “Women Empowerment” and shoot for Equality instead. I highly respect women, but do not want our roles reversed. Just changed to something more fair for both of us, men and women.

MACJR

1 Like

Supergirl is a mess. Cancel it and do a Superman show on DCU. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, CW should never have their hands on Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman.

1 Like

I partly agree with you, cbplanets. CW versions of superheroes mostly seem like anti-heroes to me. However, Supergirl is not a show I want canceled, but I would like better stories written for that show. I have no problem with the cast, it is the stories that could be better. And even so, not all of the stories are bad, even as the show is now.

MACJR

1 Like

I hope they cancel the whole Arrowverse at some point. There isn’t a need to put DC content on The CW anymore, now that we have DC Universe. Plus I think many of the current problems with the Arrowverse is The CW trying to turn DC shows into regular CW shows. Here on DC Universe it seems like the original series’ have more freedom to tell a proper DC story. Instead of on The CW, where they force the DC shows to tell a CW drama story with a DC skin. This is the reason why I stopped watching the Arrowverse shows last October 2018 with the season premieres. I find the DC Universe original series’ are far superior to the CW’s Arrowverse shows.

2 Likes

I do not totally disagree with you, @purewits. I do suspect that all the current DC Shows on CW could be done better here in the DC Universe.

MACJR

2 Likes