Suicide Squad was a good movie and made good net profit

Suicide Squad (like it or loathe it) did a better net profit than MCU Dr Strange & BvS.

It was fun. A good comic book movie that resonated with audiences. Yes, Robbie stole the show, but can that really be a surprise? HQ is very well known, she gave a great performance, and she looked hot. (Yes, this is Hollywood and sex sells, it’s a fact.)

It has earned a sequel by virtue of its net profit, if for nothing else. And the nature of Suicide Squad is that you can swap out characters. So don’t return Deadshot, since Will Smith has said he’s not returning. Plenty of incarcerated villains to choose from.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the last one and am stoked for the next one. Whoever is in it and whatever character they are playing. It’ll be a comic book movie so for me it’s automatically pretty cool. Even if the plot was crap it’ll still be visually cool enough to eat a tub of popcorn and check out.

1 Like

As a movie, it’s a bit of a mess. But, a very watchable mess. Most of the characters are engaging and it is definitely a Suicide Squad story. For me the biggest detraction is the Joker. It’s not that I minded the redesign too much (thought could have been better) it’s more that he felt shoehorned into the story. Would have rather spent the time with Squad members (Katana) who were shortchanged. Very much looking forward to #2 and beyond.

1 Like

#releasetheayercut!

I dug it. It fit the tone of most Suicide Squad comics quite well.

2 Likes

Suicide Squad is my third favorite DCEU film based on the characters alone. The film is completely a mess, from the editing to action to story choices, but is incredibly rewatchable solely on the fantastic casting choices. I’m glad they’re making a sequel, though I’m also happy that they’re taking a new route with the characters and story with James Gunn.

1 Like

I enjoyed it! If it has a fault it’s that you could tell there was studio interference in the editing. I think the extended cut shows us what was originally intended.

I’m always confused by the hatred this movie gets. I remember when it came out it got slammed by critics and everywhere you went online said it was a bomb, but people went to see it week after week and they enjoyed it based on how many weeks it stayed in the number one slot.

Was it because it came out after Dawn of Justice and it got lumped in with all that drama of fans vs critics? That’s the only rationale I can think of.

2 Likes

The extended cut is better. I can understand why they did the theatrical cut. It’s possible the extended cut might have given it an R rather than a PG-13 rating. Hard to tell. However it likely made more money being a PG-13 than an R. As for critics & reviews, they are like noses, everybody’s got one. I totally ignore them.

3 Likes

And I’ll bet BvS didn’t help the situation. However it doesn’t surprise me that Suicide Squad had a better net profit.

I was surprised that it out performed Dr. Strange. Just goes to show, DC can compete with Marvel on the movie front.

4 Likes

It also won an Oscar.

2 Likes

Honestly, Suicide Squad is sort of a mess as far as a movie goes. It’s got a lot of plotholes, character development and motivations are muddled and poorly written, and most of the acting is pretty bad (even Robbie, the best actor in the movie, had an accent that was New York one minute and Boston the next). Yes, it made money, but surely there’s a better film somewhere out there that could make just as much if not more than a Suicide Squad 2. Now, as far as “The Suicide Squad”, is concerned, I’m still excited, but that’s largely due to James Gunn, not the prospect of seeing these characters again.

@Super-Squirrel
*For makeup effects

I actually just watched it for the first time and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Yes, the story is focused on villains, but what makes the script so great is the fact they focus on each characters goodness.

1 Like

Hey, an Oscar is an Oscar! It got recognized. And come on, the make up on Killer Croc was amazing. It deserved it.

3 Likes

@superby1
I didn’t say it didn’t deserve the Oscar, and I didn’t say that the award meant nothing. The award was most certainly earned and any Oscar is a massive achievement, I just meant that it was an Oscar that has little affect on how objectively good the movie was to me.

@batwing52,

No worries. I didn’t think that was your intention.

@Batwing
I don’t care about an Oscar win or not, but the makeup was first rate and really helped the film.

1 Like

Maybe it wasn’t perfect, but I still found it to be a solid film that didn’t remotely deserve the critical thrashing it got. The plot, I’ll concede, was nothing special, and the fact that the uncut version never made it to theaters only proves that (politics aside) Steve Mnuchin should never be trusted to go near another movie ever again, but the characters, music, dialogue, visuals, acting, and special effects more than make up for the faults, I think.

I think this is why despite what early reports said about the sequel being a reboot, half the original cast is returning (Harley Quinn, Boomerang, Rick Flagg, and Waller all the same actors). I think they are moving away from caring so much about critical response and looking at what actually made them money and what audiences want to see more of. The characters from the movie were what people wanted to see more of.

2 Likes

I enjoyed parts of suicide squad but I hated other parts with a passion like the way the joker looked also the nameless faceless enemies they fought for most of the movie but other than those two things I thought the movie was pretty decent