šŸ–¤Stories for ChangešŸ–¤ Your Picks For Comics & Episodes of Revolution

Youā€™re welcome.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Your Black Friend by Ben Passmore

3 Likes

First, I just wanted to say, from what was already mentioned in the movies section, that The Color Purple is one of my all-time favorite movies.

The Color Purple, also on HBO Max

Also from the movies section, from ā€œAnything by Spike Lee,ā€ Malcolm X is one of my top two or three favorite movies ever.

Malcolm X, also on HBO Max

Iā€™ll add, for stories for Change in the movie section, the upcoming Judas and the Black Messiah.

Watch the trailer for Judas and the Black Messiah, a movie about the betrayal and assassination of Fred Hampton, chairman of the Black Panther Party. Starring Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfieldā€¦

ā€œYou can murder a revolutionary, but you canā€™t murder a revolution."

Hype.

ā€œIā€™m gonna die for the people, 'cause I live for the people. I live for the people, 'cause I love the people!ā€ (Ha!)

Chairman Fred Hampton was 21 years old when he was assassinated by the FBI, who coerced a petty criminal named William Oā€™Neal to help them silence him and the Black Panther Party. But they could not kill Fred Hamptonā€™s legacy and, 50 years later, his words still echoā€¦louder than ever.

I am a revolutionary!

In 1968, a young, charismatic activist named Fred Hampton became Chairman of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party, who were fighting for freedom, the power to determine the destiny of the Black community, and an end to police brutality and the slaughter of Black people.

Chairman Fred was inspiring a generation to rise up and not back down to oppression, which put him directly in the line of fire of the government, the FBI and the Chicago Police. But to destroy the revolution, they had to do it from both the outsideā€¦and the inside. Facing prison, William Oā€™Neal is offered a deal by the FBI: if he will infiltrate the Black Panthers and provide intel on Hampton, he will walk free. Oā€™Neal takes the deal.

Now a comrade in arms in the Black Panther Party, Oā€™Neal lives in fear that his treachery will be discovered even as he rises in the ranks. But as Hamptonā€™s fiery message draws him in, Oā€™Neal cannot escape the deadly trajectory of his ultimate betrayal.

Though his life was cut short, Fred Hamptonā€™s impact has continued to reverberate. The government saw the Black Panthers as a militant threat to the status quo and sold that lie to a frightened public in a time of growing civil unrest. But the perception of the Panthers was not reality. In inner cities across America, they were providing free breakfasts for children, legal services, medical clinics and research into sickle cell anemia, and political education. And it was Chairman Fred in Chicago, who, recognizing the power of multicultural unity for a common cause, created the Rainbow Coalitionā€”joining forces with other oppressed peoples in the city to fight for equality and political empowerment.

Judas and the Black Messiah, also on HBO Max

Judas and the Black Messiah | Official Trailer | HBO Max

Inspired by true events, Judas and the Black Messiah tells the story of the betrayal of Fred Hampton, chairman of the Black Panther Party. Coming to theaters and streaming exclusively on HBO Max February 12.

Available on HBO Max in the US only at no extra cost to subscribers, for 31 days from its theatrical release.

Like Steve Jobs, I already know itā€™s going to be insanely great. [insert smiley face]

Anyway, itā€™s my most anticipated movie of the year; followed by Dune and Zack Snyderā€™s Justice League.

For the comic book series section, Iā€™ll add, one of the last DC Vertigo series, AMERICAN CARNAGE.

4 Likes

This topic has been updated to reflect the new suggestions. Keep 'em coming! The fight for change never rests :heart:

6 Likes

Thanks @Applejack :pray:t3::purple_heart:

4 Likes

For a Non DC film, I would like to add Glory (1989), based on a true story of when African Americans join the union of 54th Massachusetts during the Civil War to fight for their freedom.
This is a good film. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Where I first saw a young, Denzel Washington. Good movie!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a great film.

2 Likes

MOVIE:
Which Way Home - itā€™s streaming on HBO Max and is an Oscar nominated documentary about kids from South or Central America trying to get to America by any means necessary to reunite with their parents who left them behind when they themselves came to America. It will change the way you view the immigration crisis.

1 Like