šŸ–¤Stories for ChangešŸ–¤ Your Picks For Comics & Episodes of Revolution

Grant Morrisonā€™s Doom Patrol, DeadShot by Christos Gage, Green Arrow in New 52, Much of Vertigo

Mostly just want to follow this thread and ask nicely again @DCU could you please work things out with MILESTONE?

5 Likes

The Justice League (original series) episode ā€œLegends.ā€ Tom Turbineā€™s interactions with John Stewart always seemed kinda skeevy when I watched the episode as a kid; the subtlety flew right over my nine year old cereal-high head.

4 Likes

Netflix has set up a Black Lives Matter category:

https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/81299227

This includes great movies like Moonlight and Mudbound, as well as series and documentaries.

5 Likes

Freedom Fighters, I love this team and I am always excited when DC puts out a new book. The characters are not overpowered or have strange powers like doll man/woman. But they still alway fight tyranny.

5 Likes

I have to say that the current (and last) run of Aquaman have done a great job at making one think of how they treat others and their place in the world. The storyline of the 9th Ward, that has been so crucial in this run, does a great job at making one consider inequality. Are people worth less to the world because they are fiscally lesser, impaired, underprivileged, forgotten, elderly, handicapped, or look/act different? They really have been exploring this with that story line. It also brings up the question (most recently) of how a leader can take control of a society that feels under appreciated. I recommend giving it a read. Itā€™s thought provoking.

3 Likes

:thinking: I donā€™t have DC related items to add to this reading list, but these were good:
Black- Kwanza Osajyefo
Palestine- Joe Sacco

Some stuff to watch:
Drawn Together: Comics, Diversity And Stereotypes
I Am Not Your Negr0 (James Baldwin)
John Leguizamoā€™s Latin History for Morons

6 Likes

Just thought of one. Sorta. :thinking:
The Sandman: Dream Country- Neil Gaiman, lots of metaphor about defining reality and destiny, along w/ commentary on the importance/power of story-telling. (Age: 14 and up) Not exactly cheerful, butā€¦:purple_heart:

Also:
Stand and Deliver
Hidden Figures
The Color Purple (book, movie or musical)
Anything by Maya Angelou

Thanx for starting this list, @Applejack.

6 Likes

Solid list. Palestine is one of my favorites of all time.

I really dig Joe Saccoā€™s work. Have you read Safe Area Gorazde, The Fixer, or But I like It?

5 Likes

Thanks! You too. This would do nicely for the list. The Fixer too, (assuming youā€™re referring to Bernard Malamudā€¦? And not some other cool thing Iā€™ve never heard of :wink:). Never read But I like It. Good?

4 Likes

thatā€™s a sharp reference! that would be good to add too.

all three of those are Joe Sacco. The Fixer is a good companion piece to Safe Area Gorazde. Well worth the read.

But I Like It is from his younger days when Mr. Sacco toured with a punk band through Europe. music is the centerpiece, through various other short strips and such. it is just inspiring how even at that age you could see some of what would become his comics journalism. how inspiration from one source could lead to growth/change and a drive to another.

4 Likes

off the top on the DC front, I think of Aya and Razorā€™s mutual story arcs from the Green Lantern animated series.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/videos/green-lantern-the-animated-series/54/season-1

when I first saw their story unfold, it moved me quite a bit. how the writers handled their feelings and actions being both right and wrong simultaneously was surprisingly more complex and layered than one would think to give an animated show; although, DCā€™s standard always sets the bar high in that regard.

Aya and Razorā€™s process from one life outlook to another is a reminder of how hope and change are often and necessarily intertwined.

3 Likes

Climbing into the way back machine there is one DC story that immediately comes to mind:
ā€œNo Evil Shall Escape My Sightā€ from Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76 (Apr. 1970)
Comic books grow up when the mediumsā€™ limitationsā€“as seen through the eyes of Hall Jordanā€“are acknowledged and acted upon. It was an eye-opener for a certain 14 year-old from Brooklyn.

2 Likes

Ooh. ON IT! :facepunch:t3:

3 Likes

Still canā€™t think of any DC things that havenā€™t already been listed, but hereā€™s a few more: (Thnx again @Applejack :purple_heart:)
Fist, Stick, Knife, Gun- Jamar Nicholas
Lowriders in Space- Cathy Camper

Some docs: most are on NF
The Square
Farmland
Period. End of Sentence.
The Devil We Know

More movies:
The Battle of Algiers
Under the Same Moon
12 Years A Slave

5 Likes

Superman: The Man of Steel (1991-2003) #44
In this issue of Superman: The Man of Steel, Perry and his soon to be adopted son Keith, who is black, have a discussion of being different, yet the same.

4 Likes

La Perdida by Jessica Abel

Duran Duran, Imelda Marcos, And Me by Lorina Mapa

Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine
cc5

Arab In America by Toufic El Rassi
cc6

4 Likes

Dennis Oā€™Neilā€™s ā€œHard Traveling Heroesā€ (GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW #76-87 and #89) is eerily relevant to todayā€™s social climate as we undergo another civil rights movement. Powerful panels by Neal Adams present superheroes confronting real-world issues of racism, poverty, and police (or should I say ā€œLanternā€) oppression. The significant story begins with protesters throwing rocks at Hal Jordan, and from there, the story begins to shift perspective from the superhero to that of the people, and may offer a viewpoint as to why some citizens commit the crimes they do.

4 Likes

super sons 5

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to propose The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode ā€œThe Ethnic Tipā€ :slightly_smiling_face:
Or the Michael Jackson song ā€œMan in the Mirrorā€

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Those of us who are familiar with the qualities of being a hero need to step up and help others find the hero in themselves

3 Likes