Stargirl Season 2 Going to CW, Reportedly Leaving DC Universe

Thank you for the clarification/correction. I’ll concede I was wrong here. However I don’t think it’s correct to say that its goal is to be a streaming service when original content is such a small part of what the site actually offers. Comics feel like the majority of content available now (even if that wasn’t the case at first).

1 Like

The issue is there is no guarantee of this, and it really isn’t anything more than hopeful

@OmniLad

It is a topic on Watchtower

Click on the link within this link

There is a drop down box of topic areas

3 Likes

Thank you!!! That is definitely concerning and odd. I was looking at the announcement sites, so I appreciate the link!

2 Likes

Yes I agree, Swamp Thing, scrapping annual, sharing Doom Patrol, moving Stargirl, Making HBoMax Comics, DCDaily all feels like a chunk of the fandom fornthis service is akward.

3 Likes

This sounds like it could be bad news to me. It makes me wonder how devoted they are to keeping DCU open. I guess they might continue it as a comic book service, but I would hate to see the original shows go.

2 Likes

It’s mainly do to the fact that when the news came out no one was paying attention to threads already posted, so this thread has turned into like 6 different threads merged.

1 Like

Also one cannot live without the other, ATT want sub $

Mine is annual

@Stargirlfan2020 Perhaps I’ve always been projecting a bit when I assumed people saw comics as the largest part of DC Universe content. I’ll have to reflect on that. I appreciate you sharing your perspective and correcting me. I feel like I’ve addressed a lot of different arguments so far (which wasn’t my original goal).

So, just to everyone else, my goal in responses are not to say DC Universe is fine and there’s nothing to worry about. Absolutely not what I’m saying. What I’m trying to say is that DC Universe’s success and lifespan has always been under question since it was first announced. If we spend every moment on this site worrying about it ending then we don’t actually enjoy it while it’s here. Try your best to just stay positive while you can and wait for confirmation of the service ending (something we’ll probably get by email or at DC FanDome).

As far as Stargirl’s life, there’s absolutely no reason to fear it’ll drop in quality at the moment. No evidence suggests a drop in budget, a change in style, or a new cast. The only thing you can expect with absolute certainty is that episodes will drop in length a bit. But that’s all we should expect changing given the current evidence. On top of that, it’s not moving to HBOMax. It’s moving to CW. That is a public broadcast channel making the show completely free to watch on television or the CW website/app. Everyone who currently watches the show will still be able to watch it after the move.

Please, try your best to stay positive for now. Enjoy the app while you can. Interact in as many threads with as many fellow fans as you can. Don’t worry about the end. Stuff like this never lasts forever so enjoy it while you can.

That’s pretty much all I have to say/intended to say in the first place, but I got sidetracked and needed to clarify along the way. I don’t intend to respond in the thread further, but I’ll check in every once and a while and respond to any necessary corrections to my statement. :heart: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

ALSO (and I can’t believe I forgot to say this in that last response), don’t go bother the moderators/admins of DC Universe over this. They have no control over what happens to the app overall and have a LOT to do when moderating the forums. They aren’t going to be able to respond or do anything about what you say. Be nice to them and respect them throughout all this. They are all most likely locked under NDA’s too, so they won’t even be able to tell you about what’s going on behind the scenes even if they knew something. Respect them, be nice to one another, stay positive. (Alright, now I’m really done lol.)

9 Likes

I didn’t believe DCU was dying but this is undeniable proof. I’d be very shocked to not see budget cuts which sucks as the CW shows haven’t been that good lately. Who knows what’s going on with Legends, Batgirl needs a new actor, Flash needs a new actor.

1 Like

Stargirl will be moving to The CW exclusively for season 2. Sadly, I think this means DC Universe is over. With the removal of annual subscriptions and focus on HBO Max, I expect Titans and YJ Season 4 to move to Max soon.

2 Likes

I’d been pretty optimistic about DCU up to this point, but I sadly have to agree with your assessment. All things are starting to add up and it’s becoming more difficult to optimistically deny. It’s a bummer as I was really enjoying the service for what it was. :frowning: Anything’s still possible but things are definitely not looking good.

4 Likes

I love the service and have been a subscriber since day 1, but this looks like the end. Movies and TV will all go to HBO, but I’m worried about the comics (what I use more than anything else).

8 Likes

Seems a waste to get rid of the comics too. I’d stay subscribed for a cheaper price just for comics.

4 Likes

I have to say that I’m pretty bummed about Stargirl moving to the CW too. If nothing else, I would be concerned with what that would mean for the show behind the scenes, ie whether or not there will be any budget cuts and the like. That said, with the fact that Stargirl’s first season has been airing on CW now anyways, and the fact that all the same people who work on the other CW shows are on Stargirl, this is hardly surprising news.

Hopefully the app itself stays, at the very least as a digital comic library/ community message board :crossed_fingers:t2:

9 Likes

Yeah at the very least I think the comics should still survive on dcu. But there doesn’t seem to be much hope for the tv and movies. It sad because I love this app, but what can you do?

4 Likes

I do worry about budget cuts. Stargirl stands out from the rest of The CW shows because of its budget

2 Likes

I didn’t realize they got rid of annual subscriptions. I’m on my second annual one now, and I fully intended to re-up for another when the time came.

5 Likes