Stargirl Season 2 Going to CW, Reportedly Leaving DC Universe

I don’t play with unfounded rumors like DC Comics going away. The price point is on par with Marvel, that is enough for me even if streaming goes away. It is like saying because the streaming stuff isn’t there the DC comic library isn’t worth the same as Marvel, which I don’t agree with. Who needs the extras? Not this DC fan! NOW back to Stargirl talk instead of doom saying.

1 Like

Also I am not concerned with the quality of Stargirl being impacted on the CW. It fits in well with their other shows and who says any of their writers would leave when it moves? If anything being on CW is even more exposure as the channel is free and I have enjoyed writing on their Arrowverse shows. Sometimes it can not be perfect but for the most part they do love these characters and it shows. I’d rather this post not get into bashing others but more focused on protecting this group!

1 Like

Marvel Unlimited has an annual plan for $69, while DCU did away with the annual plan so a year of it would be around $95. That’s nowhere near being on par, IMO.

5 Likes

I would pay the same price for comics only, and if we got comics and the community I would be happier. And even more if we got the library of old cartoons, I wouldn’t be happiest. I just don’t think there is any guarantee of anything, especially if they won’t tell us, the current paying customers, because currently we are having content taken away from us without the price going down.

4 Likes

Getting rid of the annual subscription is saying they can’t commit to their fans that they will be here in a year.

11 Likes

Stargirl Renewed @ CW TVLine reports.

Not gonna lie, I am enjoying Stargirl. I’m kinda disappointed to hear this.

3 Likes

Yeah, the show is really good.

Hi, I did not see this topic listed, so I’m creating the post in good faith. If I missed an already established thread, I ask the mods to please merge this with that.

I see Stargirl is getting a second season, but that it is becoming a full CW show and will no longer stream on DC Universe. Seems it will stream on the CW app after it first airs on the CW and then the entire season will be on HBOMax after the season 2 finale.

I’m obviously thrilled the show will have a second season and is doing so well the CW wants to make the change, but I’m crushed that it won’t be on DC Universe anymore.

8 Likes

Cue up all the naysayers that DC Universe is over, which is starting to include me with all this stuff like no more DC Daily and now this. I usually try to be optimistic about this stuff but this one is a little harder to take. Why not both like they are already doing? What harm does that do?

I’m no business man obviously and I’m very ignorant of how the entertainment business works but as just a regular person, I don’t see what harm it does to put everything DC on here as well as HBO Max or the CW. The price we pay here is almost comparable to Netflix with a very narrow field of content. Something I’ll never understand.

Moving to the CW, my concern is in how the quality will be affected too. Being a non network show, Stargirl seems to be of a higher quality than the usual CW show and they can take some more chances. To be frank, the CW special effects are so cheap looking, I’ve seen better things put up on YouTube by just some guy working on his home computer.

As for how this looks for the future of this service, obviously it looks bad. The drastic pivots happening now should have been thought of long ago. If this was to be mainly a fan engagement platform, they should have made it a better version of Marvel Unlimited and not worry about any video streaming. They need to throw us a bone here, say something, ANYTHING about what this means. I’m sure we can all debate this stuff until we’re blue in the face and we get carpal tunnel syndrome but we just have to wait and see what happens.

12 Likes

Honestly I’m kind of freaked out. There really isn’t any content anymore that’s just here. We don’t even have DC Daily

6 Likes

I share some of your concerns.

It’s tough to say, not knowing the full picture and all the various contracts and agreements and the overall plan.

At the very least, it’s a great sign that the show is doing well and everyone believes in it enough that it’s not only getting renewed, but is being positioned as a valuable piece of both the CW and HBOMax’s long term plans.

Part of the decision probably is influenced by so many of the DC CW shows being on Netflix. This might be an indication that the contract for those shows on a streaming service is long enough that they want to put this on HBOMax to establish that as the emerging home of the CW shows.

I don’t think it’s an indication that DC Universe is going away, but I do think it is an indication plans are evolving and DC Universe may not be the priority when it comes to tv content.

2 Likes

Like you @ShuGrande I usually try to be optimistic about these kind of things but I am thinking this is another toll in the impending “roll DC Universe into HBO Max” bell. If I take a pessimistic look at everything I can see this app becoming a DC comic reading app only (like a Marvel Unlimited) and as much as i enjoy DC comics, I do not think I will stick around if that is what it becomes…but this is me being pessimistic and I am really hoping this does not happen

4 Likes

And it’s annoying that there is no comment from DC Universe about what is happening

7 Likes

I want to emphasize that I posted this equally to be a thread about how wonderful it is that Stargirl is getting a second season!!!

I love the show and am thrilled that it will not only continue but is positioned to be a big player in the CWHBOMax/WB plan going forward.

We’ll probably get a new Stargirl comic book, as well.

2 Likes

Yeah once I heard Stargirl was getting extended time on DC Universe that the CW airing wouldn’t have I signed up but after 2 episodes they became TV length :frowning: But Doom Patrol Season 2 came along at the perfect time for me to re-sign up.

Guess I’ll watch Stargirl Season 2 on the CW App. My hope is that they don’t force the series to be 20+ episodes like the other CW shows. Sometimes that’s just too much and can make some stories drag or stretch the budget/less quality. Stargirl could use some space for breathing room here and there for some story aspects but the CW format is a bit over-kill for me at least.

4 Likes

i feel that if it’s like 22-24 episodes long then the show could lose focus, and the budget for things like VFX would go down, and also if since the show will be on broadcast TV then it would be slaved to the sponsor’s

4 Likes

I just want them to figure out what the future of DC Universe is and tell us. Only comics? Great. No problem. Everything migrating to HBO Max? Wonderful. Shutting it down? Ok what can you do. You know? It’s the deafening silence about what this platform is that’s the most annoying part.

19 Likes

Per The Hollywood Reporter, Stargirl has been renewed… But only on The CW. HBO Max will get it after the broadcast season ends. I’m glad it’s renewed as I’m really enjoying it, but Season 2 won’t be here.

2 Likes

I just hope it then goes both here and to HBO Max. I am perfectly fine with both places having it, as long as we get it here.

1 Like