Stargirl S1, E4 Reaction Thread - 🚨 WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD 🚨

Kudos for taking on a sensitize subject with what happened to Yolanda.

3 Likes

It’s true that the lantern Courtney has is broken. Yet, depending on which backstory they use, it doesn’t necessarily eliminate the possibility of a GL appearing.

If they use the classic backstory of the lantern being the vessel for the Starheart, a magical entity that the Guardians of the Universe imprisoned in a meteorite, a portion of which powers the lantern, then it’s possible the lantern can be restored by mystical means. The ring used by Alan Scott in this iteration of GL was fashioned by Alan to channel the power of the ring, so it not being around isn’t an issue. The new GL could do the same.

If they go with the New 52 backstory, then the lantern’s connection with the Green of earth is likely unaffected by it’s present physical condition. Additionally, the ring used to channel the lantern’s power in this iteration of the character was an engagement ring he had on hand after proposing to his partner who subsequently died. Therefore, any ring the new GL has could serve as a conduit for the lantern’s power.

Either way, the possibility of someone being granted powers by the lantern still exists. It all depends on how the writers choose to develop the character. In any event, its unlikely that we will see a new GL this season; a reappearance of a GL will most likely be a future season story line.

4 Likes

I’m still not all that of huge fan, it seems very Kiddy-ish for me , it’s like Full House meets the Incredibles. Tho the back story and the production are done very well. But I dont like the fact that they made it like the suit made WildCat when the fact is WildCat trained himself to be that gifted, so that disappointed me. We saw Wildcat train Black Canary on Green Arrow so how does this fit in with the DC-WB-Verse. Also this seems like it’s becoming Scooby Doo detective agency meets Teen Titans is forming still with Full House effect. So far if not for the Villians and the really good Production and being a comic fan this wouldn’t be a show for me.
PMA EVERYDAY!!!

1 Like

The original characters were from All-star Comics and All-star Squadron plus they had a few mini-series and a bunch of crossovers with the Justice League. They’re the ones we see in flashbacks plus Pat and the Original ISA.

Then came a second generation of young trainees in Young All-stars set around WW2. This series gave us Tigress (Paula) who we’ll be seeing as one of ISA. We’ve seen her with her daughter (Artemis) and husband (Larry/Crusher) at the PTA meeting. Technically, she was an original member from the earlier series but they re-created her.

Then came Infinity Inc starring Skyman (Starman) which introduced many second generation characters including Yolanda (Wildcat), Beth (Dr. Midnite) and Rick (Hourman). Alot of the 2nd generation ISA members came from Infinity Inc, too.

Then a new Justice Society of America comic came out introducing us to Courtney (who also had her own comic Star-spangled Kid and S.T.R.I.P.E.) and she appeared in a few Justice League series.

This TV series is pretty much an Amalgam of Star-spangled Kid and S.T.R.I.P.E. and Infinity Inc.

2 Likes

I loved this episode! It was cool to see Dragon King, I know almost nothing about the JSA and the ISA so it is really cool to watch this series blind and find out as we go, I know a little about Icicle but as a member of the Flashes rogues gallery not in this capacity, I know of Hourman, Dr. Midnite, Johnny Thunder, and Wildcat but not much more than what you learn in the first episode here and season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow in the five minutes before they die. Until I read through some of the comments here I didn’t even know the pink pen was associated with Johnny Thunder or that he had a fifth dimensional genie pal. I loved how real the scenes were with Yolanda and her heart to heart in the gym with Courtney and during all of her moments as Wildcat, it felt real and the moment Courtney blamed Henry instead of Yolanda made it perfect. It is ridiculous how much victim blaming goes on with things like that, and how it was shared around was perfect too. Air Drop is actually used like that to share images around instead of shows using the text message sounds like everyone in the school is in one group chat or something. Wildcat’s cowl could use a little work though, the tails are a little weird since they aren’t cheek guards and they also don’t connect to the rest of the suit, and the cheeks and nose look a little bulky and could be made a little sleeker. I might just be nitpicking though to find something wrong with it. Another great episode in a great series.

1 Like

First off, Welcome to the boards.
Correct on those. However in both origins Alan was specifically chosen by the Starheart. That’s why his version of Green Lantern has always been the only one in existence, his ring and battery have never transferred or chosen a successor.

So unless the writers merge the Green Lantern Corps and Alan’s version of GL then maybe. Though with Geoff John’s on the writing team I highly doubt that.

2 Likes

Re-watching the show. The breakfast scene actually had a cast inside joke. Mike says too much sugar won’t kill you. Courtney responds you’re kidding. Brec Bassinger is a diabetic. I caught it probably because my one son is a diabetic.

7 Likes

Another good episode. I guess Yolanda will have to get her honor back by joking the JSA and disobeying her family wishes. I thought her brother or grandmother (I think that’s who she was) was going to say something that let her know that she was welcomed back into the family. Looking forward to seeing the next episode.

2 Likes

It’s an alternate timeline.

3 Likes

While I understand Yolanda’s family being disappointed in what had happened, I find them to be really shallow with not helping Yolanda moving forward. Her being Wildcat will help her confidence. Who knows, maybe her family will learn of her being a hero down the line and might ask her for forgiveness with how they treated her.

Do I spy Beth having night vision, there?

Looks like Denise sufffered an “accident”. I’m hoping she is alive (maybe being held captive). I’m wondering if there is more to that black cat then what we see. If that cat is the Wizard’s familiar, then my guess is the Wizard’s spirit is alive and within the cat. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Quickly losing interest in this show, too much high school angst. For me, the best part of the show is the staff, Pat/S.T.R.I.P.E. and the villains.

1 Like

But for Airdrop to work, that meant everyone’s phone had to be unlocked while Yolanda was giving the speech. Highly unlikely.

What was everyone’s thoughts on the new episode today? I instantly fell in love with Yolanda. They really pulled out all their stops to cast this show really well.

Each episode keeps reminding me that this show isn’t built on cliche writing. When Yolanda confided to her family, and it turned out the way it did, it really hit home with me. I really can’t wait to see more of the Injustice, and it’s getting me pumped for the build up.

Anyone else have any thoughts they care to share about today’s new episode? Can’t wait for the new episode!

4 Likes

She did everything she could when she talked to her family. I have a feeling it will come out about Cindy and her phone. Certainly one way of manipulating everyone to do what you want. Hopefully it can be a warning IRL for teens to be careful what they send to others.

The first one is from JLA #26 the second one I’m not quite sure.

The bottom is entry for Secret Files and Origins issue.

Only thing I was disappointed in was the Wildcat suit and Not Yolanda doing all the cool stuff. Yes, I’ll give the claws a pass but the increased agility, etc that was totally bypassing Yolanda and her own abilities.

What about Jade and Obsidian his kids?

Don’t say that yet I mentioned there is mysterious unknown episode title so unless it’s been confirmed today to be something else it could be GL connected.

Well, the teen drama doesn’t hold my attention. But the stuff around it is really, really good. I really felt for Yolanda and was rooting for her. Especially when she stood up to her family at the end. I know very little about the JSA, but I am fascinated by this Dragon King character. Holy crap.

1 Like

Wow. What an episode. Very interesting seeing Yolanda’s backstory. Looked like her grandmother and brother were ready to help her move on and I’m sure hopefully her parents will do the same eventually. :thinking:

Yolanda’s Wildcat montage was pretty interesting too. Looks like her good fighting ability in combination with what the suit also does will be fun seeing when they take on the Injustice Society again later. Wonder who might be the superhero dry cleaner? Would definitely check into that Yolanda! :sweat_smile:

Dragon King was also very cool in seeing this episode. I suspect we shall see kids start to disappear from school eventually too. :flushed: :fearful:

It’s great that Mike’s friend is Jakeem and that the Thunderbolt will be unleashed once more again later! Also, Cookies and Cream Poptarts are good Mike, but I’m more of a Hot Fudge Sundae kind of guy. :drooling_face: :smiley:

Now to look forward in how Courtney recruits Beth and Rick in the next episode! :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes