Stargirl S1, E1 Reaction Thread - šŸšØ WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD šŸšØ

Nice to see the characters actually treated with respect. You found a winning formula, be true to the comics. Keep it up.

5 Likes

The first episode was great. To be honest, that first sequence to introduce the show where Wildcat, Starman, and Flash are in battle with Brainwave, Icicle etc. was some of the best action sequences that Iā€™ve seen from a DC TV show. Hard hitting action and nice cameo from Joel McHale. Iā€™m interested why Geoff Johns went with the Cosmic Staff and not the Cosmic Converter belt but maybe episode 2 will explain that further. Really looking forward to the rest of the episodes and keeping my fingers crossed for a Young Justice cameo.

6 Likes

Best Superhero pilot since The Flash,IMHO. Looking forward to more great episodes! I might be wrong, but I think the run time was 52 minutes, if so the CW will have to cut about 10 minutes from the show. Dropping the pilot at midnight East Coast time turned it into a 9:00 PM Sunday night show for the west coast, brilliant move! I want to be the first to call for a JSA spin-off show

5 Likes

There were so many good things that I liked about this series. I liked the tone and feel. The tropes are a little played up (new girl in school gets sent to the loser table, gets threatened by the popular girl in school, picks a fight with one of the popular kids in school and gets sent right to detention even though they were sticking up for someone else). Though they arenā€™t done for very long, so it just sets up the conflict for later. The main cast works well with each other as well. The connections between them did not feel forced or over the top either.

The only complaints I have about the pilot are the joke about Pat not being worthy of the staff. If it were just the first one, it would have been fine. The second and third came off rather cruel to me. Also, everything had a rush feel to it. I understand they didnā€™t want to spend a lot of time building everything out, but some of the scenes could have been moved to other episodes I feel. Like Pat meeting, ā€˜crusherā€™ could have been in episode 2 or 3 giving more time to other things. Everything else is only minor, like how long was that house abandoned for there to be that many spiderwebs in the basement, or if it wasnā€™t that long, they have a major spider infestation.

4/5 stars

4 Likes

That was one of the best pilot episodes of a TV show Iā€™ve ever watched! Tons of really cool little easter eggs for readers of the comics and just DC fans in general. I really am looking forward to the many great episodes to come. Keeping in mind that I only saw the pilot episode, I am REALLY EXCITED for the rest of the season. I wish the cast and the rest of the staff working on the show to stay safe and healthy.

3 Likes

Theyā€™ve developed another winner here folks. Good stuff. Ready for more

4 Likes

Another solid hit for DC Universe, and this show is for everyone really. I have to say A+ all the way around. Special shout out to Brec Bassinger, we have an excellent leading lady in her.

4 Likes

I just watched the first episode of Stargirl. It was really good.

2 Likes

Very Strong start !

Luke gives Pat and the show geeky heart ā€“ I think only Luke Wilson could defend a name like Stripesy.

In a time when we are all looking for comfort , there is nothing like nostalgia and what would be better than Hometown USA and Geoff Johnsā€™ JSA. Hope we see more of the golden agers .

If they arenā€™t using GL name does that mean Sentinel is off limits too ?

2 Likes

Know Geoff Johns said in Stargirl the JSA were indeed active during WWII and hopes to eventually reveal how they managed to live in the present like in the comics.

Sure enough, the newspaper Courtney discovers is dated 1940.

8 Likes

I think Iā€™m the only one in this forum to say that this pilot didnā€™t quite land. I thought that the mixing of different generations of music (there were a LOT of songs crammed into one episode) muddled the timeline. The vintage car and old-telephone-on-the-line-with-a-cellphone were super strange when trying to pin down where we were (ā€œpresent dayā€?). Iā€™m also tired of seeing a 20-something play a teenager. When a child role is cast, it is typically a child of age who plays the part. But for some reason, when it comes to teens, itā€™s always a more mature actress. I wouldā€™ve loved to have seen this character portrayed as the braces-clad youngster from the comics. As expected from the trailer, there were also some oddly placed comedic moments. Iā€™m not a proponent for DCā€™s shows to only remain on the ā€œdark sideā€, but Doom Patrol and Titans seem to have a much stronger sense of self by comparison to Stargirl. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll brave watching more of this. For me, it was a bit of a disaster.

1 Like

Really hoping Pat and Larry ā€œCrusherā€ Crock a.k.a. Sportmaster develop a bromance because itā€™s sure to be fun and awkward when they discover each otherā€™s secret identities!

Actor Neil Hopkins shared on his IG a picture of him and his son featuring a better look at him in his Sportsmaster outfit

5 Likes

Wow! What a premiere episode! Getting out of the gate by having the JSA and Injustice Society doing battle was so cool! :star_struck:
Definitely enjoyed all the characters interacting with each other and how they can continue to build upon them in future episodes. The cosmic staff was a lot of fun seeing its personality and how Courtney tried to get the hang of using it properly. :smile:
Definitely was interesting having them tease Sylvester Pemberton was her dad. :thinking:
Canā€™t wait till they also build up the JSA again to take on the Injustice Society once more! :sunglasses: :+1:
@Shadow_Ninja Yes I also saw Sandman for a brief moment too. Just like @AlexanderKnox mentioned too, the events did unfold in a similar manner as they did in Smallville with Icicle giving him and untimely demise. Perhaps a nice Easter Egg for us since Geoff Johns did write that episode of Smallville.
Huh, now Iā€™m wondering if I should have used spoiler tags since this is the spoiler threadā€¦ :thinking: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I thought it was a nice start.
I really enjoyed the character in the JSA and although I never read the Original Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. Comic, Iā€™m certainly willing to check it out now.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious to know how edited the CW version will be tonight. Is anyone here planning on watching it? Itā€™d be nice for someone to report back with all the changes they noticed.

2 Likes

That picture of the Sportsmaster costume has created some confusion for me because it means that the person I thought was Sportsmaster wasnā€™t actually Sportsmaster, and so now I donā€™t know who the person I thought was Sportsmaster really is.

BTW, the person I thought was Sportsmaster is the guy in the obsidian-colored mask who is with the ISA in the flashback and standing next to Tigress when Grundy gets dispatched to chase down Starman and Patā€™s car.

I never realized how much I missed live action superheroes up until now.

4 Likes

I loved it, a good start for the new series. Canā€™t wait to work on the review for the premiere :smile:

1 Like

My boy Wesley Dodds. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. :frowning:

3 Likes

I plan to do so @Aylex. Will definitely be interesting for sure seeing what was edited out. Also, is it not airing on the CW tomorrow night? :thinking:

1 Like