[Spoiler Zone 🚨] Swamp Thing Ep. #10 Open Discussion Thread

Was the doctor that was loosing her memory the same one from teen titans ???

@stevenwilliams, there never was a season 2

You have to find a way to bring Swamp Thing back. It’s a fantastic show! So many characters to explore.

1 Like

Just sending a gentle reminder to please keep responses on this thread dedicated to comments on the episode or the series as a whole, as opposed to requesting additional seasons. If you’d like to do the latter, please instead use the thread created for those looking to lament the final moments of Swamp Thing - you’re invited to share your thoughts here: http://bit.ly/DCUSST

I would like a season two espically with the floranic man still in wind along with blue devil the still active but weakened rot, madam Xanadu and phantom strangers role still unknown beyond guides to people with patient all. Plus the conclave is still active meaning a batman team up can still end it for the current head like comics although the misunderstanding that makes batman knowing and understanding this role the swamp thing has might me easier since you know the speaking part. Plus is Matt going to dreaming or is getting powers first. Then becoming the raven mabye a animation or spin off comic on dc universe would be a alternative

1 Like

I’m soooo proud of my big cousin SwampThing so proud but back to trolling dimensions hehehe

1 Like

The last episode was really good, even though they had to wrap everything up quickly. The bit after the credits really left me wanting more! Even though the series has ended, I’m hoping that we will see more of Swampy in the not-to-distant future!

5 Likes

Swamp Thing has just been a fantastic series. I wish there was more, but I’m glad I at least got what we got. His visual look alone is just perfect and seeing him just loose it in this finale was awesome. The balance between man and monster was executed very well and Abby’s relationship to him made it all the more intriguing. Maybe someone will decide to keep this great series going in the future.

4 Likes

They left us wanting more. Had high Hope’s to see Animal Man and the Red.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this episode. It definitely felt like they were checking off boxes to wrap everything up, which given that they went from having 13 episodes and at least hoping for multiple seasons, to being told after filming episode 9 they would only get one more and clearly at the very least knew the show was in danger of coming back even by that point. So I can give them some slack for it feeling rushed, they had little choice.

But I still liked it, given they had to cram so much in it didn’t feel as slow moving as most of the other episodes did. The Blue Devil arc came to a somewhat rushed conclusion, but it did actively wrap up his storyline. I want to comment DCU and Swamp Thing on that storyline, the best part of the series in my opinion and they cast Dan Garrett perfectly, I hope Ian Ziering gets more roles from this performance, he knocked it out of the park on this one. Not going to wish too hard for a spin-off, as it seems unlikely they will do a spin-off of a show that only lasted one season and had an apaprently troubled production. But I would definitely watch one so hoping somehow someone at DCU at least opens up to the possibility.

As for the rest, the final battle with Swamp Thing and the soldier was well done. The main corporate villain guy’s come uppance was not as rewarding as it could have been since we hadn’t been given enough time to really be rewarded at Swampy turning him into a sniveling begging coward. But the fight was so well done I can’t complain. And obviously I will give them a bit of a pass on not building that villain up enough since they surely had planned to drag that final confrontation out for another 3 episodes.

The part with Sunderland killing the sheriff didn’t feel real satisfying. I guess it did in a sense wrap up the storyline but kind of left it open, does he just get away with murder? How? He doesn’t have the shrif to cover for him if he kills her?. But while I keep going to this well, I can only assume that they planned to carry that storyline out over multiple seasons, but then once they knew with only one episode left they had to wrap eveything up, they likely changed however it was supposed to play out to give it a conclusion. Would have preffered Sunderland met his demise instead, but I also can only guess it was not a completely done deal at the time of filming that Swamp Thing would never come back, so they probably dind’t want to write off their main villain should the show actually get picked up.

Maria Sunderlands ending was satisfying. Again, guessing her being committed was originally going to go a much different route. But it was tragic but somewhat bittersweet how they ended her storyline, and felt like a good payoff to her daughters thread.

Woodrue’s storyline was also mostly satisfying. Yeah the post credit scene, while well done was somewhat of a cliffhanger we will almost certinally never see followed up on. But it would have been dissapionting to not see Floronic Man at all. So a fair enough compromise. The story with his wife was tragic but well done.

And Abby and Swamp Thing got a good ending that both gave a satisfying conclusion to the main storyline with them staying together to fight the good fight, but also left it open had the show continued.

All in all a good episode to a good season. It had some flaws due in large part to I assume having to rush the ending. The biggest being Abby ran all over the place throughout the episode to wrap up Swampy and Woodrue’s plot (she felt almost shoe horned into that last Woodrue scene with his wife mostly just to wrap it up) which had the character who in actuallity was the true star of the show reacting to everything more then getting her own story. Not to mention she must have been exhausted having all of tha thappen in what had to be like… half a day. But again, they had to rush things to pay it all off just a shame Abby took a backseat to the rest of the casty in the last episode of her show. (again, I know this technically was Swamp Thing’s show. But due to the budget limitations of having Swamp Thing show up too consistently throughout the episodes Abby was by necessity the actual star of the show).

Some stuff was left unresolved. It felt like Abby’s friend dying in the swamp was supposed to mean more, something almost surely pulled her under the water and while I guess they could just say it was a crocodile, sure it was supposed to go somewhere more interesting. FLoronic Man being created was definite fan service at the time it happened, since it left a lot of unanswered questions like did Matt die? What would Woodrue do next, etc. And the shadowy figure in Abby’s vision dragging her was never revealed who that was supposed to be. Can only assume it was an early tease to Anton Arcane, and given everything else they had on their place can’t blame them for just leaving that one unresolved, but it definitely was a by product of the shows abrupt ending.

Still while I have been hard on Swamp Thing at times, and definitely don’t think it was the amazing show some do. This was a good series, it was uneven at time but had more good then bad and enjoyed watching it these past 10 weeks. Shame we didn’t get more seasons, but there is that old Hollywood addage, always leave them wanting more. At least the show did the audience right and left it with a satisfying ending, even if a few loose ends were still there they did their best to give us the best resopltion they could and I as a viewer appreciated them for that.

3 Likes

Solid and very strong start to the series only to have the final episode turn into an awful rushed mess.

We never see what happened to Abby’s partner who got taken. It was obvious Maria had a much larger part to play originally and they just shove in Xanadu to quickly wrap her up as well as we can somewhat say goodby to Xanadu character as well. Though we only do that because she’s from the comics and less her role in the show since she wasn’t in it as much as she should have been. Avery seemed scattered around the episode too with no explanation about him coughing up a plant because…how exactly? It looked like when he was hallucinating he was going to be infected by The Rot, but that never happened.

Speaking of The Rot/The “Darkness” that was the biggest plot point being built up only to go absolutely nowhere especially with Abby’s friend being taken down underwater after she jumped off the bridge. What happened to that story?

Again not to just give out hate on this show as I absolutely LOVED the first half. It was a really great horror show that happened to have a few “super heroes” in it. I really wish it was leading up to Justice League Dark or at least a season 2. But from all the rumors going on online about why the episode list was cut and the show canceled before it even aired, you can tell there were major changes made and all the actors did a great job with their roles and i’m sure what they were given. But the writing plummeted and that’s the biggest shame.

2 Likes

What a shame, what happened to this show that had so much potential. You can clearly see the difference between the first half and second half of the season. They really tried their best but ATT & Warner Brothers just killed all ideas of letting the show, writers and actors breathe. So much potential this show and setting had. Again, just a real shame.

I know the actors are accredited during the intro sequence, (which is one of the best looking intros I’ve ever seen) …but I think it would have been appropriate to have prominently displayed the words “Derek Mears as Swamp Thing” during end credits! The guy did such a great job.

And why even be so proud of North Carolina in the end credits if they ultimately caused the cancelation? I would’ve edited them out of credits entirely or reduced their logo to a squint. Should’ve just filmed in Louisiana. It’s becoming a hot spot for film locations (more recently The Highwaymen a great Netflix original movie was filmed there).
If it’s true the show was canceled over location/tax issues and not creative differences, then I’ll never spend another dollar in NC or visit there ever again. How could the studio cut production after seeing Floronic Man anyways??! He looked rad af!!

Ultimately enjoyed this series though, and I’ll be purchasing a blu ray when/if available. I still think the way it all ended was a big kick in the crotch though. Tease us major villains all season, then basically reduce everything to an after credit scene.

1 Like

“And why even be so proud of North Carolina in the end credits if they ultimately caused the cancelation?”

North Carolina had nothing to do with the decision to cancel the show.

That widely reported cause was ultimately proven to be false less than 24 hours after it was originally circulated, forcing pretty much every news agency that had reported it as fact to retract their earlier reporting.

I can’t wait to see if Anton arcane is coming to the show

The series was good. Started off a little slow for me. This is my favorite series out of what’s been on this service so far. I would like a second season even though I know it’s not happening…

The last episode was rushed. I’m mainly here for the comics tho.

I will compliment the creators for creating something that didn’t feel sanitized or political, which is very difficult to find these days.

2 Likes

I see alot of people on social media saying they’re canceling their subscription now that swamp thing is over due to them being angry that it was cancelled.

It’ll take a LOT of cancellations to make a dent in the money pit ST lost by not getting picked internationally. I personally don’t put much stock in all these people claims of cancellation, like how many of them were members in the first place.

Budget did this show in. The money spent showed up on screen, but, it just cost to darn much. But, better 10 really decent episodes, than 13 or more meh episodes where the costumes/effects/etc were not as high quality from the get go.

2 Likes

@PLPhillips2814.28433 I had forgotten those things but you are right, they never resolved Abby’s friend being taken. And Avery coughing up the plants went nowhere which was weird, because given they had one episode with limited planning to wrap everything up they didn’t need to include that, or probably should have edited it out. I can only assume that it was not a done deal the show was cancelled, so they wanted to leave some things open if it comes back, hence the plant. But that was probably not something they really needed to add given their situation. Abby’s partner I would write up to not having enough time to shoehorn that into everything else. But it was a gaping plothole.

My little sister and I watched the whole season as it came and loved it. She became a huge shipper of Abby and Alec and was satisfied by the ending of their story. Their relationship, especially as demonstrated in this episode and the one prior, was a real highlight of the show for me. Swamp Thing’s struggle with not being human was so beautiful too. Really liked that resolution, the scenes with him talking to “Alec” and then to Abby. Derek Mears and his amazing voice should get an Emmy for these last two episodes.

Lucilia’s extended death scene made me rather uncomfortable. I know it’s a horror show, but still, I think we could have just quickly shown Avery watching her car sink and still have gotten the point without being privy to her terror firsthand. Especially since we’ll never see Avery get his comeuppance. On a similar note…

Like others have said, I agree that Woodrue killing Matt was a REALLY bitter note to end the whole show on. The Floronic Man looked magnificent, of course, but man, how depressing for poor Matt’s screams of terror to be the last word of Swamp Thing. Cutting straight to black after “I used to be Jason Woodrue” could have been a good way for the show to end with mystery instead of hopelessness.

Other than that, I’m as pleased as I can be given the fate of the show, despite plots and characters like Ellery, Maria, Harlan, Liz, and Susie feeling unfinished. The effects (!!!), sets, and fight scenes were continually gorgeous. I liked that it showed how awesome the non-superhero side of comic books can be, and that is honestly the #1 reason why it makes me sad that it’s gone now.

Here’s to a great show cut down far too soon. Off to read “Saga of the Swamp Thing” again, I guess!

2 Likes