[ Spoiler Zone šŸšØ] Swamp Thing Ep. #05 Open Discussion Thread

Iā€™m enjoying this show more and more each episode, especially Blue Devil and the Swamp Thing, but I had such high hopes for the Phantom Stranger and was left utterly disappointed. When did he become a hillbilly? I do give them credit for weaving in DCā€™s supernatural characters, they could have done so much more with him.

4 Likes

Thinking A-shawn might be the avatar of the Rot. Who is with me?

ā€œThinking A-shawn might be the avatar of the Rot. Who is with me?ā€

As I mentioned in my review of the episode, thatā€™s what I was thinking might be the case until this episodeā€™s events played out, especially given the way that The Rot was depicted in ā€œHe Speaksā€.

Swamp thing was cancelled by ambush bug. Dont listen to the fake news.

Surprisingly, this is turning into a favorite show. Love the Blue Devil development. Every episode makes me a little sad this is cancelled, I really hope they come to their senses and revive it or announce justice league dark.

2 Likes

Blue Devil has been the highlight of this show to me. Even as critical as I have been, I have enjoyed every minute he has been on the show. I am not going to dare hope for a spin-off given the show was cancelled (although guessing they could theoretically make it cheaper then Swamp Thing, but even so seems extremely unlikely. But I wish they had done a Blue Devil show instead of a Swamp Thing show. It has been some great stuff.

I am really liking this show more and more and hate that they canceled it. Really wish they would reverse that decision or that another network /service would pick it up.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t aware that this show had been cancelled until I started reading this thread. Super bummed now.

Yeah itā€™s really quite unfair that they literally announced the cancellation of this show after the first episode aired. Not sure another network would pick it up but it would be great. I am hoping for enough fanfare to push for it!

1 Like

@trimblair.70254 These kinds of comments arenā€™t appropriate for the forums. If you need to take a look at our Community Guidelines, you can check 'em out here: https://yourdcu.com/cmg

Snyder cut

Soā€¦I know itā€™s the cool thing to love this show and rant about it being cancelledā€¦but is anyone not enjoying the direction itā€™s going in? Week after week, weā€™re seeing more and more very cliche, generic B movie ā€œhorrorā€ā€¦ and not the good B movie horror. All of the beats and scenes here are so contrived, itā€™s turned into quite a bore. From the first episode which was damn near perfect (except for the introduction of Swamp Thing which was too soon), itā€™s slowly gotten less and less enjoyable and more and more me cringing to the cheesy ā€˜scareā€™ scenes that are reminiscent of something on the old SciFi channelā€¦

1 Like

Super late watching (again), but this episode was thankfully a return to form! Every character seemed to have a suitable amount of progression, unlike last weekā€™s filler episode, and finally seeing what happened to Shauna was a really nice way to cap the first half of Swamp Thing. The only major problems I had were the cliche horror elements (a first for the season) and how Swamp Thing himself is becoming more and more a deus ex machina episode after episode. Hopefully heā€™s given more to do going forward. Compared to last weekā€™s episode though, episode 5 felt darker, weirder, and more character driven, which is where this show needs to be.

1 Like

I really enjoyed this episode, the plot is starting to pick up and as others have mentioned weā€™re getting some character development. I especially liked that we are finally spending more time with Alec/Swampy- Iā€™m most interested in delving into how heā€™s holding up. It seems that they are going the original route that Alec is indeed the monster, however Iā€™m a bit apprehensive that with Woodrue looking into it more that they have used the Moore storyline, which I didnā€™t enjoy as much as the original Wein or New 52 storylines. I think that itā€™s the human element at the core of the ā€œmonsterā€ that makes him so tragic and relatable a character.

1 Like

Ehh, canā€™t I agree, itā€™s giving off way too many cheesy horror, low budget, poorly written SyFy made for TV movie vibesā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m glad others are enjoying this show but for me it is a huge disappointment, especially after Titans and Doom Patrol. The ongoing dread and waiting for some direction is beyond boring. Never thought Iā€™d be bored by Swamp Thing. Get to the point already!

This episode was SO good. Loved Ian Blue Devil. Loved all of the supporting characters. Suspenseful. Even though we donā€™t like to watch horror on big screen, would watch this we think. Would love to see it as a move. Itā€™s not really horror like crime. Not a super hero movie. But, the good guys win. Just really strong. Abby, the only item we noticed, is so scientific, that despite crazy things happening to her, she is only just now having a muted response, while dealing with monsters etc., as an every day occurrence, and not being shaken by it. On the one hand, this response could be considered a wrong response (unrealistic) as an acting decision. On the other hand, maybe her momā€™s experience left Abby with the feeling that she does not like people falling victim to mediums and the supernatural, so she will only open her mind to science. This has not yet been explored in the series. We love this series better than anything weā€™ve seen here to date. Although we have liked others.

Maria Sten as Liz Tremayne, ā€œEat your own damn turtle Soup!ā€ I literally cheered when she said that, sheā€™s great.