[ Spoiler Zone šŸšØ] Swamp Thing Ep. #05 Open Discussion Thread

This was the creepiest episode so far

2 Likes

Elle Graham needs to start getting props for her performance as Susie Coyle. Brilliant beyond her years!

4 Likes

Someone needs to pick this story up for season 2. It will continue to be a runaway smash and whoever decided to pull the plug can feel like an idiot.

3 Likes

Loved this episode. The whole show feels dark, gritty, and perfect. We need a second season!

2 Likes

Absolutely love this show!

2 Likes

the whispers when Blue Devil tries to leave Marais sounded similar to the whispers when Swampy sees the past through the Green ā€¦ really curious who BD made a deal with ā€¦

also, Belinda Carlisle

2 Likes

Nice to see veteran Director Greg Beeman to this episode. That opening with Shawna in the tub was eerie creepy. Stuff of nightmares.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really into this show! I have resisted bringing the cancellation up until now. I really hope they find a way to keep this incarnation of some of these characters active, like constantine after NBC cancelled it. I wish they would have waited to announce the cancellation until afterward, because it does create a bit of a nagging cloud as I watch the otherwise very good show.

Anyway, for the episode itself, this one really creeped me out and legit gave me some scares. Iā€™m so glad also that they made swamp thing verbal, Derek (?) Mears has a really soulful quality to his portrayal that is perfect for the character. Really hoping to get BlueDevil in costumeā€¦and really surprised by how much i like Ian Zerring (sp)

3 Likes

As I said in the thread for Episode #3 - this show should have been called ā€˜Abby Arcaneā€™ or maybe ā€˜Maraisā€™. Through five episodes, half the entire showā€™s run, weā€™ve really only seen Swamp Thing in passing and heā€™s not the main character of this show by a long shot. Liz Tremayne has had more screen time and development.

I think theyā€™ve taken the wrong approach to this series and thatā€™s a shame. Itā€™s not a bad show but itā€™s also not a show about Swamp Thing. Itā€™s a show with Swamp Thing in it and based in the world Swamp Thing was created in. It feels more like a Stephen King series or a David Lynch show. Again, not a bad thing but itā€™s not what I was expecting or hoping for.

That said, Iā€™m a bit lost on a few things:

• Who was the guy that met up with Swamp Thing in this episode?
  • Why canā€™t Blue Devil leave Malais?
  • This is not the Madame Xanadu I know and love from Hawkman
  • Sheriff hallucinates at a community event, pulls a gun on the townspeople and is back on duty the next day? Okā€¦
  • Whatā€™s with the spiral staircase in the corner of Susie/Shawnaā€™s room?
  • Malais calls in the CDC when they have a few sick people but donā€™t call in additional law enforcement with a murder spree?
1 Like

Disclaimer: Iā€™m only here because Derek Mears is Swamp Thing.

That being said, we are 5 episodes in now and I feel like things are about to start happening at a break neck speed. I just hope that weā€™re not all left hanging on a cliff at the end of episode 10.

If weā€™re only going to have 10 episodes, then the Blue Devilā€™s character development should be way ahead of where it is now. Iā€™m also starting to think that the horror element to the show is nothing more than a distraction to a sub par story.

1 Like

Phantom stranger cameo was interesting. I thought this was the best episode so far.

Itā€™s really a shame that the show was cancelled. I enjoy the action and I think it has just the right level of scary. I agree with other posters that this show does need to speed up. ā€œAbby Arcane showā€ lol

1 Like

This show just spike to 100xs the next level it insane so many new mysteries along with a few revealed mysteries.

https://youtu.be/KXTpeFu9h8k

2 Likes

This show just spike to 100xs the next level it insane so many new mysteries along with a few revealed mysteries.

My thoughts on the episode: https://youtu.be/KXTpeFu9h8k

disappointed in phantom stranger but episode was decent

1 Like

Once more I am going to be in the minority. But unlike most I liked last weeks episode better then the rest, but this is more of the same.

First off, the things I liked and there were several.

Blue Devilā€™s storyline continues to be intriguing and interesting, and Ian Zeiring (sp?) continues to knock it out of the park. Wish we would get more of him, as he is easily to me the best part of this series.

While I could pick apart how they changed Phantom Stranger so much it didnā€™t feel like him at all (much more then Madam Xandau even) but his scenes with Swamp Thing were well done and gave us some character development for Swamp Thing.

The threat of the week with the little girl being posessed was very creepy and a hell of a performance from the actress. As were the other actors involved. Wish there had been more of it, but for the threat of the week it was a good one.

But aside from thoseā€¦ it was mostly the same soap opera storylines with less then compelling characters (the main villian is no different then every other evil rich dude and I think way too one dimensional. For this we apparently didnā€™t get Anton Arcane? Jennifer Beals is a great actress who is not given enough to do. I am sorry but these characters feel like they are taken from a prime time soapā€¦ and not a great one. And maybe it was WB interference but they just ended the green flu completely? # episodes of it being the main ongoing arc and nowā€¦ what green flu?

And Swamp Thing in the endā€¦ so he saved the day in the end with one of his limited appearances byā€¦ lifting the girl out of the waterā€¦ Our impressive hero ladies and gentleman he caries a girl out of the water that Abby fought off, then abby saves her with CPR. I get that money makes it unavoidable to have to make Abby the star and Swamp Thing the supporting character. That is just the nature of TV, having Swampy heavily featured throughout the episodes is just not something they could do. Even in the 90ā€™s show the guest stars and supporting cast took up more screen time then him in almost every episode. And to make him look THAT good and also be in 2/3rd of the episode or more is just not possible. I get that. But since they can only use him sparingly they need to make it count. But he went from stopping the threat with minimal effort in 30 seconds, to pulling someone out of the water in 5. It is not good use of the time they have available to use him.

I am sorry, I know my post have been negative. I want to like this show more and for all of itā€™s flaws it isnā€™t nessecarily a bad show by any means. No one is making me watch it yet I still make sure to catch it every Friday, so clearly they are doing a lot right. A lot of it is while I am not saying it ā€œdeserved to be cancelledā€ or anything like that, and am sorry it did both for DCU and the fans who clearly do love it. But I just honestly am baffled how people think this show is some gem that will go down with Firefly and Star Trek as the worst cancellations in the history of TV.

Granted, I actually thought last episode was the best of the series, where as everyone else thinks it was the weak one. So a lot of it might just be this show is not my thing. But it is just an average show to me no matter how much I wish it was more.

4 Likes

If they donā€™t keep this show around, then all my years of devoted DC-dom is for nothing! Awesome plot, awesome acting, awesome creepy, awesome scary, did I say awesome?..yes I officially protest the cancellation of SWAMP THING! Iā€™m surprised that it didnā€™t come up in the democratic debates! Need a spokesā€personā€ for climate change?..SWAMP THING!

3 Likes

This show is awesome and different from any other comic book tv show. Canā€™t believe a bunch of suits are killing it off. Wish someone rich who loved the material took over, this brand deserves better especially when it comes to the movies

4 Likes

As the season goes along I am enjoying the show more. Iā€™m enjoying the supernatural mythos they are intertwining into the storylines, and Derek Mears is terrific as Swamp Thing. I just love his voice. Avery is an intriguing villain. I really enjoyed the episode, and the reveal of what really happened to Shawna. Iā€™m curious to see how Blue Devilā€™s storyline progresses.

3 Likes

Another good episode.

2 Likes