Spoiler Free Opinions on The Suicide Squad

The Suicide Squad reminds so much of doom patrol.

2 Likes

Stop :rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

I agree for the most part.

completely agree

3 Likes

Since not only is Peacemaker season 1 done, but the Academy Award nominations are out, which I predicted would ignore TSS, I’m revisiting this topic. An academy award nomination is, of course, an unreasonable bar to set for a super-hero movie.

So, first off, I was not a good candidate to start this thread, because I was cranky with some aspects of it. DC Community could have started this thread way before I did, since the movie was having free showings all over the country.

Free showings don’t necessarily make for better reviews, because the one free showing may be miles away at an inconvenient time. Second, if the audience is laughing at King Shark eating people, while you are rooting for the humans to survive and kill King Shark, that isn’t nurturing some communal experience and instead makes you question why you are around these people. On top of that, if it is your first trip to a theater since the start of the pandemic, you are doubly questioning why you are around these people. So I think they’d have been much better off giving a brief, but wide theatrical release ahead of it hitting HBO Max

I thought the movie was outstanding in most categories, but pretty flawed in the few areas it wasn’t outstanding. I really don’t understand the cinemascore for The Suicide Squad turning out the same as the first film, since it is unlikely the general movie-going public had the same gripes as me, and it was a better film than the first Suicide Squad.

I thought the biggest problem was how the characters’ status as villains was handled. Savant was the only character where we right away recognize he’s a cruel dirt bag, willingly follow his point of view, but don’t mind his demise. The rest of the characters were basically treated as people we should identify with/root for, even in the scene where they mistakenly butcher a load of rebels. Why Peacemaker is in prison never becomes apparent, since we never get an idea of how he puts his agenda to use. Waller would be able to keep him out of prison if he is killing whoever she tells him is bad for America. I think the villains in the film need to be particularly horrible for us to be rooting for the Suicide Squad, but most of who they fight are just military grunts trying to do their jobs

One problem is that the initial crew is killed off too quickly to get great impact out of their deaths. Another scene with Javelin, Boomer, etc before they boarded the plane would have really helped in convincing us they’re along for the whole ride. Also, if they had kept one more alive until a bit later in the film (maybe Flagg plus one other get captured by the rebels?), you could have created more suspense on who lives. But then you get back to issue 1 - how much harder is it wring suspense out of a situation if the main characters are dirtbags?

I also think that as you approach true excellence in your dramatic scenes, but also have Troma-level gore (see decapitated head with “hilarious” moving eyes) that is creating a pretty big gap in content for you to try to bridge.

Anyway, I could take most individual scenes from the Suicide Squad and see them as the best things to ever appear in a DC movie (particularly when you add in the musical score), but the whole of the parts still doesn’t quite work. But apologies for mostly dumping on what’s clearly an above average film.

I can understand most of that

1 Like

The way Polka-Dot Man’s power was portrayed made a D-list villain look pretty dang formidable to me.

And as far as Starro not looking real…

Um, he’s a 300 foot tall alien starfish. Whattya want?

2 Likes

The Suicide Squad, the one we are talking about here, is easily one of my favorite superhero movies. I love it.

I thought so, too. There’s enough humor in it (even though I found Peacemaker pretty insufferable) that it dulls down some of the gruesome crap that goes on. I nearly cheered at the mutiny, though.

1 Like

Just one thing i didn’t like through the whole movie