So What SHOULD He Be Called?

First off: I agree that Captain Marvel is the superior name. In a perfect world, he would still be called that without any problems. Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world, and even if they did change it back for the comics, Disney put out a billion dollar movie this year called Captain Marvel. Legal issues aside, to the general public at large, Captain Marvel is an Avenger named Carol Danvers.

So, then, as an informal poll, what do you think DC should name Billy Batson’s alter ego, if not Captain Marvel or Shazam?

1 Like

Captain Thunder. It worked for his Flashpoint iteration.

Then he can have a cool, dry-wit, action hero catchphrase that kids will belt out from sea to shining sea: “It’s time to bring on the thunder!”.

11 Likes

I like the Captain Thunder name as well.

6 Likes

Shazam is perfectly fine

4 Likes

@chrissy68 the only problem with him being named Shazam (which I never thought about until the movie) is that he can’t say his own name without changing back and forth

2 Likes

The new52 books got around the issue with saying ‘Shazam’ by making conviction and intent part of the spell to transform. This doesn’t appear to be the case in the movie; I’m not sure if it carried over to Rebirth.

I think Shazam can work as a name, but with the whole family shouting shazam, getting 6 variations of it could be awkward. Going with more standalone superhero names could make team communications more clear without using alter ego names.

All that said, I vote Captain Thunder.

3 Likes

I’m leaning towards Hubert.

2 Likes

Mary Thunder is an adequate, if insufficiently alliterative supername.

Mary Shazam sounds stupid.

I’m on board for the Thunder.

5 Likes

Shazam is a better name

1 Like

I’ll never refer to him as anything other than Captain Marvel. I dont care about the general public or Disney.

5 Likes

Shazam is much better than Captain Marvel.

2 Likes

I’m voting for Major Marvel

4 Likes

“Shazam” fits in much better with classic superhero names like IsfromKryptonguy, I’mBatmanman, and Zeus (formerly known as Artemis, Athena, et al.; it was a mouthful).

1 Like

Other alternate names:

Lieutenant/Sergeant/King Marvel–not sure if DC is specifically forbidden from using the word “Marvel,” period, or just “Captain Marvel,” but if it’s the latter these would be a good workaround.

Stormguard–this was the name of a minor character who showed up in the “Futures’ End” event and, as near as I can tell, hasn’t appeared since. So, yeah, name’s just sitting there collecting dust.

The Whiz–“Kingdom Come” reference. Honestly so silly it might actually work.

Vlarem–so this is a reference to a 1980s Captain Marvel story where it’s revealed that the Wizard was originally a Champion himself named Vlarem (an anagram of Marvel).

2 Likes

Captain DC. :wink:

2 Likes

I like Captain Thunder, but you have to admit it is pretty funny that we have a major superhero character that can’t even say his own name, which I think separates him in a fairly cool and unique way.

4 Likes

The name intended before Captain Marvel. Captain Marvelous.

2 Likes

The Big Red Cheese

2 Likes

What about Captain Shazam. Kind of bridges the gap between both names and differentiates him from the Wizard? Not sure if that works or not.

3 Likes

@BatWatch: It’s a decent thought, but I’m not feeling it. It still has the “Why doesn’t he transform every time he introduces himself?” plothole which, even with the “intent” handwave, is still going to invite lots of dumb jokes. Also, “Mary Shazam” and “Captain Shazam Jr.” still sound kind of dumb compared to “Mary Thunder” or “Captain Thunder Jr.”

Honestly, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pre-Flashpoint compromise of calling him Captain Marvel and just not using it in the title of his book.

3 Likes