So Is DC Comics Really Ending?!

I dig this. I just don’t think we need two Batman solo titles if we have a bat family title. I also wouldn’t keep one of the trinity in the DC Presents title because it would reduce character exposure. Certain characters (Ambush Bug, Doom Patrol) would need there time to shine. I envision it taking place in this book.

1 Like

But would a single, giant sized book featuring 3-4 full length stories be the better choice for things like the Batman Family? 3 issues is $12-- 4 issues is $16-- would you pay $8 or even $10 for the same amount of story in one book?

1 Like

I feel that the 100-Page Giants format is the way to go.

3 Likes

Honestly I would pay 8 or ten dollars to get the same amount of story as one would in 4 seperate comics that would cost me 16 to get. I hate that I pay so much for so little with an individual comic so much so that I’m currently only buying one DC book regularly right now.

2 Likes

As I mentioned, the DC Comics Presents would be a team-up book. The trinity members would be who they team up with in my vision. So one issue could see Ambush bug team up with Wonder Woman and the next Superman is teaming up with a member of Doom Patrol. Allowing people to feel that they are getting an additional trinity title for those that will only buy the big characters and for those of us that want to see the obscure or lesser characters we would get that as well. Batman and Detective Comics serve 2 different purposes in my mind. I despise Batman, a lot. I have voiced this a lot on the forums, but I see two versions of Batman that need represented. The Gotham City detective and the larger than life JLA style Batman. I would see each title representing that aspect of the character to better serve fans. That is why I felt that way about my choices. Interesting to hear your thoughts though.

3 Likes

Thats a lot of money for hbo lol, hbo good but not that good

3 Likes

Either that or go to a flat rate streaming setup without the six month to a year restrictions. Publish enough paper copies to satisfy LCS actual pulls. Do a digest type printing like the 100 Page Giants we get now only with all the stories being all new material not reprints for the more casual reader as well as titles in trade format but put your focus on the digital market.

3 Likes

I don’t think we need a larger than life Batman anymore as it is, but…

The trinity are scene stealers. I always like Marvel Team-Up because it was random and though essentially a Spider-Man book, often completely replaced him. Hulk and Human Torch comes to mind.

Something like Red Tornado and Elongated Man. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. Katana and Vixen. Lobo and Deathstroke.

That allows lesser characters to be in situations the trinity would easily handle. Or situations to weird or taboo for the big three.

I’m not saying never use them. Just don’t have them always be in the title.

2 Likes

Maybe. I do only buy his volumes. I always liked volumes better than buying individual comic books. It’s like reading a chapter of your favorite book and then waiting another month to read the next chapter. That’s probably why comics aren’t really doing as well as they used to.

4 Likes

If trades disappear I’ll be sadly disappointed. Comic shops are already almost all gone in my region. We now have more vinyl record shops.

2 Likes

I really love comic book art. If at&t wants to sell DC I hope they sell to an established comic company that can keep producing the comics.

Also I recently read that comic con is the center of a 60 billion dollar a year industry dose DC not go to comic con?

Why couldn’t they just go digital release this app world wide and take the movies off? That way people won’t expect Netflix when they get here and find comics.

I’m under the assumption that if 5G fails, DC will just repivot.

4 Likes

I personal think that we are in trouble, the plan is not that good and is set to ruin characters

1 Like

In my personal opinion, I would love to see a focus on both digital subscription services (such as DC Universe) and a physical subscription service. I feel like some sort of subscription service where new issues could be received in the mail would be extremely beneficial for fans who don’t have comic shops nearby. Additionally, as much as I hate to admit it, there have been a few instances where a new issue that I was waiting for has had pages leaked online before I had a chance to buy the issue myself. In cases like this, I often think to myself, “Well, now that I’ve seen most of the issue, what’s the point of buying it?” I feel like a physical subscription service, along with a continuation of the larger 100-page issues, would help to combat this problem.

However, no matter what the future may have in store for us, I will always be a DC fan. :smile:

6 Likes

I’m not familiar with how copyright law handles creations like comic hero but I think they is extremely valid point. If continuing to print stories about these characters is the basis for establishing copyright ownership than I believe WarnerMedia will be forced to keep some form of publishing. But could the copyright be held so long as new shows and other media are produced? Does it have to be printed material?

“Selling DC” as several folks (@Tenzel) have pointed out is completely out of the question. You own DC for the IP. Walt Disney has been amassing one of the largest IPs in the entertainment industry across ESPN, Disney, Marvel, Pixar, and more. AT&T did not buy Warner to start throwing away the IP. They could close the comic publishing division and license out comic creation & publishing while retaining full ownership of the DC IP, if they felt that comics were needed for legacy or copyright purposes. This could bee basically treated as a write-off to maintain copyright and likely results in quality, story, etc would be devalued since the focus would be on the Films and Television properties.

I think @Kon-El’s concerns and skeptical approach for a large telecom corporation managing a small creative business is warranted.

From AT&T’s 8-K Jan 29 2020 8-K:
AT&T Level - “Fourth-quarter 2019 revenues were $46.8 billion, down 2.4 percent from the fourth quarter of 2018, and full-year 2019 revenues were $181.2 billion, up 6.1 percent from the previous full year.”

“Warner Bros. revenues for the fourth quarter of 2019 were $4.1 billion, down 8.0 percent versus the fourth quarter of 2018, driven by foregone television licensing revenues as we prepare for our launch of HBO Max and lower theatrical product resulting from a more favorable mix of box office releases in the prior comparable period and, partly offset by increased initial telecast revenues. Warner Bros. operating expenses totaled $3.3 billion, down 9.6 percent versus the fourth quarter of 2018, driven by lower film and television production costs. Warner Bros. operating income margin was 19.5 percent compared to 18.1 percent in the year-earlier quarter.”

Please note that the 8-K separates WarnerMedia into Turner, HBO, and WarnerBros.

So from AT&T parent company perspective all of WarnerBros is less than 9% of their quarterly revenue. From my business experience, if DC is as small as the the $200-$350 million mentioned earlier in this thread, it is so small that AT&T executives would not spend their time on a $200 million dollar business that they do not see as critical to the companies future, like HBO Max. Again we have to make sure we’re separating the DC Publishing business from DC Entertainment which I think is where the Film and Television properties sit, they know for HBO Max to compete with Netflix and Disney+ they will need great content attract and retain subscribers.

Additionally to truly understand the risk to the current DC Comics publishing, we would need to know how much of that $200-$350 million in revenue comes from monthly published comics versus collections, trade paperbacks, graphics novels( i.e. previously created content).

All of this is to say that, the DC properties will likely have to make a business justification for continuing the legacy publishing business in its current form. I think Disney being an entertainment and experiences (Theme parks & cruise ships) company understands the value of continuing to publish Marvel and other comics as part of their broader strategy. But for a Telecommunications headquartered in Dallas, Texas, surrounded by Oil and Gas counterparts? You’ve got a group that understands the ROI of capital and capital investments, not IP and entertainment.

3 Likes

My understanding is the earnings comes from all print (trades) and digital. Print costs are, from what little I can find, fairly low. Distribution hurts though.

This is exactly my thinking. No, no, no way do they shut down DC Entertainment. It’s profit is billions of dollars a year. Most recent I can find is $4.5 billion in merch for 2016. You don’t let that go.

Publishing, my favorite part, is a big question mark. People are saying it’s profitable. Sure, it makes $250 million a year, but what are operating costs? I can’t find that data.

2 Likes

I normally buy all of my comics on digital. Unless I really liked them like Nightwing or Superman Rebirth.

3 Likes

@RedWing7 Discount Comic Book Service is a comics mail order service that offers great prices, packaging, and shipping. Perfect for folks who don’t have a Local Comic Book Store. Check them out.

https://www.dcbservice.com/

5 Likes

Legitimately had a mini heart attack for a moment.

1 Like

Does anybody else buy both the comics and then the digital to actually read? These hardcover books like the Black Label are very nicely done. I bought the Harleen book recently and then haven’t even wanted to crack open the plastic protective sheath. So, now I’m probably springing for the digital so I can read the book. I know, I know, it sounds silly, but it seems better as a collectible lol.

Maybe that would be a good way for DC to market the comics? Give a code for the digital version when the physical version is purchased.

I’m having a hard time believing that print costs are going down. Paper costs are rising, not falling, based on many factors.

Source:

2 Likes