So Is DC Comics Really Ending?!

I really thought Shazam was solid as an adaptation.

2 Likes

Not saying that the movies are direct copies of the books, rather that the books are idea generators for the movies. Despite their flaws, I much prefer the DC movies, but the MCU has drawn major story ideas from their comics that have been produced in the past 10-@5 years

1 Like

A good, rotating cast team up title would be a blast if done well. This gives more minor characters a spotlight.

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself, but that lineup could use some diversity. DC has a diverse set of heroes. They should have solo titles for the readers who are looking for their stories. The Justice League in the 2020s need to be better than the Justice Society in the 1940s.

I have come to a point in my life where I realize my money feeds some troublesome status quo’s in society whether I want to or not so I am getting more careful with what I do with them. Comics are a bit of a pet peeve of mine as I love them, but they talk the talk, but are less eager to walk the walk. That’s why such a lineup would be a no from me.

I spend some $5000-$10000 yearly on comics related things… comics, merch, experiences, media, games etc. That’s on me if that money upholds these status quos, so I look for a balance in my spendings. The 2016 lineup lacks that balance so I would be out.

2 Likes

Anybody

What wiuld the 16 or 20 titles you would want to be published if there was a limit on titles imposed by AT&T?

3 Likes

DC is owned by AT&T.

Now really wrap your head around that for a second. AT&T is a Top 10 Fortune 500 company (#9 I think).

They can afford to keep things going despite the past failures, but why would they. Definitely not for the fans of an industry that doesn’t provide major revenue.

Plus I have been hearing about all the Lay-offs going on, and it spells bad new for DC comics IMO. I just don’t think a major conglomerate like AT&T would care about fixing a story line.

Bottom line is they will probably push 5G, it will most likely backfire, and then AT&T will be forced to re-evaluate why they should keep trying to fix a reoccurring issue.

It could be good, only if they scraped 5G. However the material is ready and to toss that out would not really be cost effective.

4 Likes

Check out the Geoff Johns run on JSA. He added Black Canary, Star Spangled Kid, Power Girl, Hawk Girl, Mister Terrific, and Jakeem Thunder to the team.

6 Likes

It’s doubtful the subject of DC Comics comes up at ATT board meetings at all.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I agree entirely. Batman alone makes $500 million in merchandise sales most years. That gets attention…even in a $20 billion company.

4 Likes

That comes up at the Warner Media level. Where there are two choices-- publish, or sell outright. Closing down the comics biz and trying to maintain trademarks without further copyrights will bring people and their descendants out of the woodwork wanting their creations back. And endless legal hassle that will cost far more than running a comic book company.

3 Likes

@MisfitCMJ I don’t consider WarnerMedia separate from AT&T anymore. There are too many ex AT&T folks involved. It’s not operating as a conglomerate. It’s just one big company now. It doesn’t really feel like they’re operating in entirely different industries anymore. Been into an AT&T store lately? It might as well be an HBO store.

2 Likes

HBO is what they wanted when they bought Warner.

3 Likes

@MisfitCMJ I get that, but it’s not operating separately. It’s all entangled. Then you have crossover properties (GL on HBO) inside the entanglement (GL is DC property). I’m just saying I doubt DC gets to fly under the radar is all.

1 Like

Superman
Action Comics (team book)
Batman
Wonder Woman
Detective Comics (as a team book)
Green Arrow
Titans
Young Justice
JLA
JSA
Legion
Green Lanterns (Corp team book)
Justice League Dark
Aquaman

I figure that kind of lineup would leave the fewest beloved characters on the chopping block. Everyone would have some spotlight. This list leaves room for 6 more titles.

6 Likes

Good choices

2 Likes

This would be my list:

Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Batman Family Title
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps.
Titans
Teen Titans
Young Justice
JLA
JSA
Legion
Birds of Prey (to have more female representation in the line)
DC Comics Presents (Team-up book with one of the three trinity members rotating)

If I am counting correctly that is 18 titles. I would make the last 2 slots for ongoing 6 issue mini-series. These minis would rotate with minor characters and one would be started 3 months after the other, so that every 3 months a new mini would be starting. This would also leave room for the possibility of a larger event as well, as they could wait until a miniseries ended and launch the event series.

6 Likes

Don’t forget Nightwing. That’s been going for a long while.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst

Great

Maybe the Batman family can rotate
Or two stories with different characters
Batwoman Nightwing Batgirl Red Hood the big four.

2 Likes

I’d honestly rather Red Hood keep his own solo title. The other Bats have had decades of their own solos already and to be honest Jason’s not been well treated outside of his own solo by most writers. He’s either used as comic relief, as the dumb muscle or he’s treated like crap.

Now if we’re talking about some sort of Bat Family anthology title that features stories or team ups where individual characters like Red Hood get an actual chance to shine. One that actually advances a character’s story and attempts to build on a character’s past established continuity because the writers involved take the time to actually research the characters involved that’s a different thing altogether.

2 Likes

I can’t see how Warner would just up and shut it down, Lease it, sell it, turn over operations to another publisher or other things like that maybe. But just shut it down when it isn’t actually losing money (all be it not making a fortune for them) over selling it when someone would clearly buy it. Just wouldn’t make sense unless I am missing something.

2 Likes