So Is DC Comics Really Ending?!

Dont know who that guy is but seems really premature in his assesment. If this is a youtube talking head, block his channel, your life will be much better :fist:

2 Likes

I’m here all the time, man. I don’t do YouTube,

@Kon-El if my tone sound argumentative I apologize, just talking about the issue with you. MCU has done a better job drawing from the comics. Personal guess is the movies and tv have bought DC Comics at least another decade or two.

1 Like

I just don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings being analytical. I’m an anxious person and the wheels spin hard. I’m not being pessimistic. Honestly. I’m just trying to be realistic. That way if something that sucks does happen I’m not completely floored, ya know?

P.S. I agree. So far Marvel has done a better job. Except Shazam. I’m a fan. That’s what these moves should be like in my head.

1 Like

Whoa so disagree with this statement. Iron Man wasnt so witty prior to the movies, the Avengers line up never existed prior to the movie. The Guardians of The Galaxy where I do think are great movies, are absolutely nothing like the comics, Spider-Man clearly has little in common with the comics version. I can go in and on. The DC movies outside of Joker are pretty on point. The only big difference is the film directors are inspired throughout DC’s long publishing history. Take Lex for example. He had the rich corporate thing that was created in 1986. He was also a mad scientist which he was for most of his pre1986. He was quite insane like silver age Lex. He also had a hairstyle reminiscent of golden age Lex.

1 Like

If they close up shop while it is still profitable they stand to lose money. If they close up before doing so will put them close to the break even point, then every cent they would have earned up until that point will be lost.

If it cost you 2 dollars to close up shop (severance pay and rent etc.) in a fiscal year you should go on until the point where you only earn 2 dollars a year before closing up or you leave money on the table (granted you’d probably do it a bit before to avoid any surprises, but no need to do it much earlier)

1 Like

I’d sell while it’s profitable. I’m not much of an investor though.

Edit: I’m talking about any company. Not just DC.

There’s a difference between drawing from the comics and being comic book accurate. Marvel has in many cases taken elements from actual Marvel stories and “remixed” them so to speak. Used the original stories as inspiration and done a new take on them.

1 Like

If they were to actually sell it I’d agree, but I doubt that’ll happen. As long as the characters can still make them a lot of money in movies selling DC Comics makes no sense. Licensing the comics out for someone else to do would be a possibility, and if that was the route they’d be taking I agree that they shouldn’t wait until the very last minute.

As far as other companies I agree, but here we’re talking about a company that still has a lot of use for the properties outside of that particular branch.

1 Like

@Tenzel I totally agree. I think we’re saying the same thing.

1 Like

I’m just using a lot more words because I’m bad at keeping it short and simple. :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a risky time. I’m not being alarmist. I don’t think the company will drop comics. I think we could see more team books and less titles. More focus on bankable stuff. Sucks. I really like The Terrifics right now. No way does it survive this.

1 Like

Yeah, I just dont recognize the characters in the MCU movies. I feel at least DC gets there characters right.

1 Like

I guess we see them differently. To me the Marvel characters seem closer to they way I see them from the comics than the DC characters do (even if they have changed some details)

Could be because I’m no longer as attached to the Marvel characters as I used to be so I’m more open to the MCU interpretations.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here

I think DC Comics has too many titles for fans to buy

Why not cut them down to a smaller list of titles?

In June 2016
the first.month of Rebirth
there were 10 titles published

Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Aquaman
Flash
Green Lanterns
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Titans

Add 6 more for 4 titles a week such as

Harley Quinn
Justice League
Legion of Super Heroes
Shazam
Rotating Bat Family
Rotating B lists Heroes

And assign top writers and artists to each

Wouldn’t that be a good enough situation for most fans

3 Likes

Why would DC end? There are better chances that DC would be sold in a boardroom with the sites picking up the story after the fact. The intellectual property is worth more than comic sales. However, without comic books that IP has a shelf life. Look at it like a popular TV show. Friends at its peak was massive, then years later it remained huge on syndication. While it has found a new life in streaming it isn’t likely that you will see people wear shirts with the shows logo or find coffee houses packed to watch a streamed episode. That is only 20 years after the show ended. Another 20 and the show will looked at like Lucy episodes. My point being, is that there needs to be something fresh for the IP to remain valuable. Think of the toys, shirts, video games, cartoons, movies, mouse pads, pint glasses, and whatever else is out there. To look at AT&T and think they will chop the company to pieces makes sense at the initial cuts. With DiDio leaving and no statement will only leave room to speculation, I am guilty myself. However, to think DC is on the verge of locking the doors is pretty ridiculous.

3 Likes

EVS has made a second career out of stirring the pot. Don’t believe a word of it.

8 Likes

I think the characters will endure, in one form or another, whether comics as a medium lives or dies.

I also think DC Universe is probably the future for DC. Most entertainment services have gone to subscription models, and I think comics will be no different.

7 Likes

As long as they can print the digital stuff so I can own a physical copy, then I will be fine to have comics come through here

4 Likes