Show Us Your Cosplay WIP

What are you working on? Foam armor? spandex costumes? 3D printing? Hot glueing something and hoping you don’t burn yourself?
Let’s see what our fellow cosplayers are doing and share your projects here!

9 Likes

I’m working on a Red Robin cosplay but I’m still mostly in the research stage because he’s had so many suit changes that it’s really hard to find good references :cry:

7 Likes

Good luck! I would love to see it when you’re done. By the way if you choose to make the New 52 costume I imagine that would be the most difficult with those wings that could be crafting nightmares.

6 Likes

If I made this topic, I might as well contribute. This was today’s task: working on a classic Harley Quinn mallet. Completely con safe, it will all be made out of EVA foam. It’s about 75% built. I hope to have it finished next weekend so I can start painting it.

9 Likes

Posted this in another another thread but I am really trying to get more cosplay talk on here (come on my fellow costume geeks! Where you at?!)
Here’s some more of Harley’s hammer in progress. I just need to add some embellishment and its all done!

7 Likes

@casasstrophe I thought that this was the only red robin uniform:

4 Likes

I’m trying to get started on a Collapser costume, but I have no idea what materials to use. I’ve never actually done this. Does anyone have any ideas?

5 Likes

Do you have any reference pictures of the costume you want? Or is it just the black hole in his chest (which is super easy!)

5 Likes

Here is one:

4 Likes

@stalecake It’s hard because the black hole transforms his suit into darkness (which I want to show). I’m not sure if I should just puts streaks of black around the suit or something like that. Also, would you recommend buying a trenchcoat or making a replica from scratch?

4 Likes

Honesty, I’d buy a simple trench coat (thrift it unless you plan on using it outside of cosplay, why bother paying more for a costume?), unless you’re really really into sewing.
For the black hole, I’d cut a hole in the center of a shirt, and glue a EVA foam circle (spray painted with glossy black rustoleum) to the inside. If you want to show kind of black streaks come off it, I’d use just black puffy paint (it’s the fabric paint in squeeze bottles) and paint around the shirt.

For the glowing effect, I’d just do all that in photoshop. Trust me A LOT of cosplayers just add/fix things with photoshop after the pictures are taken.

5 Likes

How do I use photoshop on a costume though?

3 Likes

Photoshopping cosplay is it’s own thing, and there are A LOT of tutorials on that on youtube.
Basically, if this is your first time cosplaying, you need to do the following:

1. RESEARCH there are a lot of tutorials/books on cosplay now. Check out Kamui cosplay, Evil Ted, Zonbi Cosplay. They have youtube channels that go through each step. You’ll also need reference images of what you want to wear, and look up if anyone else as cosplayed this before and see what they did.
  2. PRACTICE your first costume is not going to look amazing. mine didn’t, Yaya Han’s didn’t. You might make the whole costume, then rip it apart and remake it next week. That’s totally OK
  3. TIME be patient. If you want a complete cosplay ASAP, it’s better to just purchase one. If you want to learn how to cosplay, it’s going to take time to build your skill.

While I can suggest some things, there is a lot that is just not possible until you have better skill. No shade, it’s just a hobby that takes practice, and some trial and error on your own part. When I first learned out to knit, I wasn’t making socks my first go, I made a scarf. Same as cosplay.

5 Likes

OK. Thank you so much for the pointers! I really appreciate it!

4 Likes

First part of a whole lot of Mera armor is done!
I’m making her costume from Justice League where she’s got on a full set of armor.

8 Likes

that looks AMAZING so far!

3 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully she’ll be done sometime this summer.

4 Likes

Wow, that is really cool!

4 Likes

That looks so good!

5 Likes

I’m working on a Hippolyta build. The crown is ready for paint. A little more shaping to be done on the vambraces, then they’ll be ready for prime and paint. My first EVA foam project.

7 Likes