Should the DCEU movie universe be Rebooted?

Yes, the universe has failed. I believe that after Wonder Woman 1984 they should just start from scratch.

YES. The current movies are complete garbage. Wonder Woman was OK, but thatā€™s it. Starting out the entire cinematic universe with Batman already being old was dumb, and having him be a killer and nothing like his comic book counterpart was even more disgusting. Superman lacked any personality and I saw no semblance of Clark Kent within him. Ezra Miller is one of the worst casting choices Iā€™ve ever seen and the way they wrote Flash to be DCā€™s equivalent of Spider-Man in terms of the relationship between Flash and Batman was horrendous. Ezraā€™s Flash was not Barry. It was not Wally. It was not Bart or even Jay Garrick. They also made the mistake of having a group movie (JL) before introducing the stars in their own stories first like Marvel did. Overall, bad casting, bad writing, etc. They definitely need a reboot.

Absolutely not. If anything, it all went wrong because Warner Bros bottled it and cut Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad to pieces and ripped the heart out of JL. Thankfully most of those decision makers have since been axed. Snyder was most certainly controversial, and his movies are anything but safe, unlike the MCU, but they are endlessly fascinating and bring me back again and again. In fact I feel an MOS rewatch coming on in the next few minutes.

Wonder Woman was entertaining but the movie has limited rewatch value. Iā€™m vaguely interested in Wonder Woman 1984 but only for the ā€œStranger Thingsā€ 80ā€™s nostalgia factor.

The new slate of DC movies have definitely piqued my interest. James Wan builds great franchises and is a great ideas man, Iā€™m happy heā€™s on board with Aquaman, DC needs more artists like him to sculpt this universe properly and Iā€™m hoping that he can get theā€™ Worlds of DCā€™ or whatever weā€™re supposed to call it now back to some semblance of artistic expression/artist control.

Shazam! looks like it will be a home run with the MCU crew cementing DCā€™s new dawn but it looks mediocre judging only by the trailer.

The Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix? Yes please.

And in regards to ā€˜The Batmanā€™ movies it ever happens, Iā€™ll be really happy if they go the ā€˜Batman Beyondā€™ route and have an aged BW (doesnā€™t need to be Batfleck) train the next Batman, and then carry on with him as Batman I think movie audiences are a bit burnt out with the same Batman story repeated ad infinitum, the movie Batman mythology needs a shake up!

Supermanā€¦Iā€™m convinced Cavill will be back. Please go the animated show route, rebuild Metropolis as a shining neo-art deco metropolis (pun intended) and give him some straight up movies with classic enemies, Brainiac/Metallo/Mr Mxyzptlk (hope I spelt that correctly)ā€¦ imagine a trippy psychedelic Mxyzptlk showcase where you have no idea what you are seeing is real or fantasy.

If Supes and Batman are recast, then great! It happens all the time. I donā€™t remember too many people kicking off when Val Kilmer took over from Michael Keaton.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. If anything, it all went wrong because Warner Bros bottled it and cut Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad to pieces and ripped the heart out of JL. Thankfully most of those decision makers have since been axed. Snyder was most certainly controversial, and his movies are anything but safe, unlike the MCU, but they are endlessly fascinating and bring me back again and again. In fact I feel an MOS rewatch coming on in the next few minutes.

Wonder Woman was entertaining but the movie has limited rewatch value. Iā€™m vaguely interested in Wonder Woman 1984 but only for the ā€œStranger Thingsā€ 80ā€™s nostalgia factor.

The new slate of DC movies have definitely piqued my interest. James Wan builds great franchises and is a great ideas man, Iā€™m happy heā€™s on board with Aquaman, DC needs more artists like him to sculpt this universe properly and Iā€™m hoping that he can get theā€™ Worlds of DCā€™ or whatever weā€™re supposed to call it now back to some semblance of artistic expression/artist control.

Shazam! looks like it will be a home run with the MCU crew cementing DCā€™s new dawn but it looks mediocre judging only by the trailer.

The Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix? Yes please.

And in regards to ā€˜The Batmanā€™ movies it ever happens, Iā€™ll be really happy if they go the ā€˜Batman Beyondā€™ route and have an aged BW (doesnā€™t need to be Batfleck) train the next Batman, and then carry on with him as Batman I think movie audiences are a bit burnt out with the same Batman story repeated ad infinitum, the movie Batman mythology needs a shake up!

Supermanā€¦Iā€™m convinced Cavill will be back. Please go the animated show route, rebuild Metropolis as a shining neo-art deco metropolis (pun intended) and give him some straight up movies with classic enemies, Brainiac/Metallo/Mr Mxyzptlk (hope I spelt that correctly)ā€¦ imagine a trippy psychedelic Mxyzptlk showcase where you have no idea what you are seeing is real or fantasy.

If Supes and Batman are recast, then great! It happens all the time. I donā€™t remember too many people kicking off when Val Kilmer took over from Michael Keaton.

Iā€™d say no. I have liked all the DCEU movies personally, though I understand the problems people have with certain elements. But starting over from scratch seems silly. Especially since there are a lot of great elements in place. Whatever changes they make can be made on the fly. Certain bits of continuity can be changed or explained away with really little fuss, I think, as they move forward.

My hope is theyā€™ll keep giving us DC movies in a shared universe, even if itā€™s not as planned out. I really want a Superman movie with Cavill starring, for instance. Sooner rather than later. And after they have a few successful movies under their belt, they can try another Justice League movie with the successful characters like, hopefully, Shazam and whoever they end up presenting in the League.

1 Like

Very soft reboot. They can go forward with Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Flash for solo movies and another Justice League. Add Shazam, maybe recast Superman and/or Batman. Perhaps introduce Tim Drake and let him be Batman after Affleck Batman gets broken by Bane.

Eh. Itā€™s complicated. I absolutely adore Man of Steel and the Ultimate Cut of BvS, except the rushed pseudo-Doomsday plot. JL couldā€™ve been loads better had it actually been executed according to Snyderā€™s vision. I hate the Flash we got. Suicide Squad shouldā€™ve never been allowed to film if they were gonna butcher the original vision to start with. Wonder Woman was dope the first time, no desire to watch it a second. So, just do a soft reset. Take the elements that worked and scoot them over to an alternate universe. Leave Suicide Squad and JL out in the cold.

Yes but keep on some of the actors like Gal but get rid of others for instance have Bryan Cranston be Lex Luthor

Just a soft reboot. DC can do it with Flashpoint

Iā€™ve always felt that it would benefit DC to do a less comprehensive universe. They are so far behind that it makes more sense to me to do individual story lines and get red of 12 movie continuity. A point that i think becomes more important when you realize they universe they started has a haggard and 45 year old batman. Iā€™m much more in favor of Easter Egg style crossovers and making it a tidy version of Foxā€™s take on Marvel. That way too, they can let their properties shine without the budget ballooning to include Gal or Affleck in every movie. Itā€™s perfectly feasible that they could have success with a $100 million Justice League Dark movie, even without Batman. Also because DC has done so well on the small screen, i do think it hinders the ability to do another all engrossing universe in theatres.

I think they can pull off a soft reboot if aquaman and Shazam are good movies. If those suck then I donā€™t think they will have a choice but to reboot

Nah, theyā€™ve been pretty great and successful outside of JL and SS. Most people I think enjoy the movies outside of critics and bloggers, imo. The negativity has just been over-exaggerated by the biased and nostalgic people who get upset that DC wants to appeal to a new generation while homaging multiple grand eras of DCā€¦ which they think they donā€™t do.