Shocking Batwoman News

I think they can completely ignore them. There is nothing inherent in Kate that says she has to be tattooed. Don’t bother. Dick Sargent took over Dick York’s role has Darren in Bewitched. Nobody batted a eye. And York had played that role for 5 years before getting replaced.

Never acknowledge to an audience that a character is different. You get a bunch of people whining on about it week 1 when you show Kate as bare arm’s as possible. Do this again for episode 2, by episode 3 go back to normal. If people are rejecting the show because of a lack of tattoos, The shows got MUCH BIGGER problems with that.

3 Likes

Went to check if this was true. There’s one significant exception I could find: Linda Park was recast on The Flash from Olivia Cheng to Malese Jow in 2015.

4 Likes

Yeah, this wouldn’t be the first time that the stresses of making a weekly television series–and everything else that goes with it–proved to be too much for an actor or crew member.

1 Like

I completely forgot about this, though that’s probably since Linda barely got screen time and didn’t start becoming an actual character until Malese Jow was cast. It reminds me of how Jacqueline MacInnes Wood played Sara Lance in season 1 of Arrow, but she’s a lot less remembered since the character didn’t actually start getting fleshed out until Caity Lotz stepped in

I know there have been more significant Arrowverse recastings than that, like how Alura Zor-El went from Laura Benanti to Erica Durance, but I can’t think of any other instance where one of the main roles had to be recast, let alone a lead one

5 Likes

Also, Supergirl’s mom Alura was also recast between seasons one and two.

3 Likes

As has been noted, Superboy is really the best comparison here even though the circumstances behind the recasting aren’t similar (Jon Newton was fired from Superboy whereas Ruby has chosen to leave Batwoman).

@Aquamon Hi. I’m still dealing with pain and recovery, but thanks for asking about me.

As far as Titans goes, I do plan to get back to the series at some point, but that hasn’t happened yet because I’ve been on a pretty big ‘space-based Sci-Fi bender’ for the last couple of months and am pretty much in the middle of two huge Sci-Fi shows at the moment: Star Trek Discovery and Stargate SG-1.

5 Likes

While I can understand Ruby Rose fans being disappointed in the news.

I don’t understand why some folks think they need to make references to the change, makeup for the new actress is going to need to use temporary tattoos, etc?

Why is this important?
Especially amongst comic fans?
A new artist comes to a book with a different style and while some make like or loathe the new style. But I’ve never really heard of somebody saying “they need to make some reference to the fact that the style of the book changed. I don’t recall when Jim Lee started drawing Batman there was ever a reference to “Hey Bats, that’s a really big cape now. What’s up with that?”

If people just roll with a change in art style in comics, what makes TV or film any different? After X number of months, leads often will change in Broadway shows. (They want to move on to something else, or want more money, etc)

Maybe it’s my live theater background, but leads are often swapped out. So I’m not getting why the change is such a big deal?

10 Likes

This has always been my argument when people say it’s confusing to have two actors playing Superman at the same time: Superman looks different in Action Comics and Superman and Justice League which are all published simultaneously. That being said, when a show has actual face-swapping as an in universe thing, it is a little fun to speculate about how the recasting could be written into the story.

1 Like

So long as we still have Alice on the show, I’m on board. Rachel Skarsten has been absolutely amazing! Even when some of the episodes weren’t great, Alice was always the stand out.

6 Likes

She certainly has been the standout performance of season 1.

5 Likes

Okay, sorry to hear your still having pain, hope it gets better. Discovery & SG-1, good ones! It seems there’s folks that are not to crazy for Discovery but as a trek fan since childhood I enjoyed Discovery and Picard. I get fans not being happy because it’s not really like older series but I still think they were good shows and really liked the premise of both seasons. Whenever you get around to Titans shoot me a DM or something (if ya feel like it of course). Have a good one! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Whether you liked the show or not, or whether you liked her as BatWoman or not, we need to respect her decision and her happiness. She gave it 100% until she couldn’t do it anymore. Let’s get excited for the recast and wish them the best. I’m still 4 episodes behind…

4 Likes

She left because of fan hate? What types of things were people saying?

1 Like

We don’t know for sure why she left, but a lot of people were unfortunately super critical of things like her acting and the show’s political/feminist tone, especially after the 1st trailer dropped

3 Likes

That is kinda crazy. It’s batwoman of course it is gonna have a more feminist tone than Batman would, or any of the other the male-led Arrowverse shows.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’ll admit, that trailer was at least a little too on-the-nose w/ all of that, but I always assumed it was their intention to get some people riled up and get it more attention - like a “no such thing as bad press” sort of approach. I knew the show would be smart w/ its feminist messages and not be constantly hitting people over the head w/ them, and I can definitely say that ended up being the case

4 Likes

Nerd culture can be real bullies. Fans attacking actors need to stop.

6 Likes

Update on the situation. Apparently the move was more mutual than we might’ve thought. Ruby was apparently unhappy w/ the circumstances surrounding being a network TV lead, and so and the CW/WB came to an understanding where she’d leave the show and they’d recast. Take it w/ a grain of salt until we hear more from her and/or the network directly, but it is coming from a reliable source

3 Likes

This is true, and also just still mind-boggling that the mere fact of a lesbian lead would in of itself cause that much negativity. Why shouldn’t the network promote that fact? It’s a history-making show. And some people were using words like “feminism” and “woman” as though they were somehow inherently negative things. Honestly, I’m trying very hard (and failing) to remain true to my Blue Lantern Corps values of hope, but in some instances it’s so difficult.

7 Likes

Since the producers want a member of the LGBTQ community for the role, I wonder if Arrow alum Bex Taylor-Klaus (who identifies as non-binary and is in a relationship with a woman) would be interested, especially now that Deputy has been cancelled.