Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Official Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Off the top of my head- the Wizard of Oz, Shawshank Redemption, and Austin Powers.

2 Likes

Wizard of oz did not get a sequel. Return to Oz came from a completely different company and is a reboot.

Shawshank redemption does not have a sequel listed.

Austin Powers made over 4 times its budget.

1 Like

It is over for SHAZAM as we know it. If we ever get a sequel it will be with a whole new cast and a minimum of 10 years from now. I liked the film but the DCEU has been a failure. Snyder’s vision for the DCEU was not working with the audience. We just had Black Adam and even with a Henry Cavill Superman appearance not enough people came to see the film. Now we have SHAZAM, while I found it entertaining that too has not been performing.

2 Likes

Welcome back to the community, friend. I hooope it doesn’t take 10 years for another Shazam movie to come out :cry:

3 Likes

Only time will tell. :grinning:

2 Likes

After its second weekend-

Domestic 45,947,417

China 5,800,000

International 50,000,000

It gets to keep around then-

Dom- 22,973,708.5

China- 1,450,000

Overseas- 20,000,000

Total of 44,423,708.5

1 Like

An additional link to the Annabelle movies: Grace Caroline Currey (Mary) was in Annabelle: Creation.

3 Likes

I don’t have time to read all 167 comments right now, but why is NO ONE seemingly catching the Winnebago in the junkyard? I mean, if you see Michael Gray, how do you not recognize Mentor’s Winnebago? I have yet to see an article mention that one…

5 Likes

I mentioned it in my review - it was a nice touch.

Viewing the Fury of the Gods trailers again, several reasons leaped out why those wouldn’t necessarily cause a stampede to the theaters:
The closing “big wow” moment in all three trailers is Shazam punching the dragon. A dragon just doesn’t seem like the ultimate threat for a character with Shazam powers - showing him battling any of the humanoid creations would have been more effective.
Corallary to the above is Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu as the villains make it hard to piece together a punch-em-out action trailer.
(a female villain was no problem for the Thor Ragnarok trailer, since they had plenty of Thor vs. Hulk footage, besides which Cate Blanchett was five times the badass that Helen Mirren is here)

An abundance of footage re-used from the first movie, and - in one of the trailers - footage from three other DC movies. That screams “hey, let’s pad this trailer any way we can think of”.

Humor that is just okay in the film comes off as kind of lame in the trailer (on the couch with the pediatrician, the Fast and Furious “family” joke)

It did come across well as a family movie in the trailers, but that aspect was not a big enough draw. I have no clue what a family-friendly super-hero trailer should look like in order to be a crowd magnet though - maybe they’d have to face the army of laser-wielding dinosaurs from Lego Movie 2 or something

2 Likes

Not to mention it was a very sucky dragon. It was shown in the movie to be way weaker than Shazam and just a punching bag for him. It was even joked that he was badly constructed.

I would want to avoid the final fight for the trailer. The only thing that comes to mind for the trailer action scene is the sandwich place battle, and I do not remember that being a very good fight. Still I would have thought of that as an exec when reading the script and told them to put stuff in it for the trailer.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community @cpav! Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :00_shazam:

3 Likes

If anyone wants to hear my review, I did discuss it on my podcast and welcome all to listen: Episode 185--We SCREAM 6 times: SHAZAM⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡ by The Chris-Cast

3 Likes

I get what you are saying, but I intentionally avoid the trailer after the first time. I agree that the original teaser was not extremely impressive, but I love the first film so much there was no way I was missing the 2nd. I do wish Levi and Johnson would stop throwing shade at each other over it and I honestly believe that the midcredit scene is an indication that we are going to see more Shazam in the future. I hope so, because these movies are so positive and upbeat that they truly bring joy and that is what today’s blockbusters have gotten away from…

4 Likes

Based on the boxoffice there isvery little chance of seeing more Shazam. The numbers are currently Green Lantern level disaster.

2 Likes

I’m not saying to dwell on setting up rules of magic. I’m saying that magic requiring purpose/precision/skill is a common concept already, so a quick statement (similar to new52 Shazam) would suffice. Movies and comics depict powers that require will/purpose to use. Mera struggles to maintain massive constructs for extended periods. Green Lantern’s ring requires willpower/purpose to use.

My point is the concept that a magic word is more than just the word itself, but is an active calling of the powers bestowed upon the champion makes better narrative sense than continuously dancing around something as integral to characters (and movie franchises) as their names. I also find it more interesting in terms of story potential.

Anyway, I thought I read that the new series will use Captain Marvel? Or the Captain? Regardless, I think the dancing around needs to stop; it’s not doing the character(s) any favors.

Edit: As an aside, I bit surprised how many posts in this thread are about box office numbers and a ‘dead’ franchise. DC movies just got a new creative direction and wiped the slate clean of almost all planned/announced projects, including direct follow ups to some of their most successful recent franchises. Nothing is guaranteed. However, expressing a desire to continue seeing these characters in this setting could result in some type of follow up, whether a direct movie sequel, an animated outing, a tv show, a comic set in the movieverse, etc. When critiquing something, highlighting the good points/what worked can be just as important as the bad for any future project.

3 Likes

Just some review numbers.

It currently has a 6.6 on IMDB. In comparison Ant-Man 3 has a 6.4 and the first film has a 7. Black Adam has a 6.3 All the recent box office hits have at least a 7.2

On Rotten Tomatoes it is down to 51% with critics but still at 87 with audiences.

4 Likes

Mr. Atom was Ultron before we ever had Ultron.

He is also the very first giant robot villain to be a recurring villain, if I’m not mistaken.

Overdue is putting it mildly, if you ask me.

5 Likes

In the new series, it will be The Captain.

However, other main versions of the character - that is, the original pre-Crisis Earth-S version and the post-Crisis New Earth version - are still called Captain Marvel.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I totally agree on avoiding the trailers. It’s a DC Comics movie, for crying out loud - you know whether you will see it, you don’t need a trailer.

I got to Fury of the Gods 20 flippin minutes late, and I still had to get up and walk out of the to avoid watching a Flash trailer. I guess WB thinks its a great marketing strategy to have people in the theater see other people getting up and walking out - that builds enthusiasm for your franchise :roll_eyes:

That TV ad in the final week - flashes on the screen a reviewer headline “full of surprises” and then - one second later - shows that surprise, thus eliminating it as a surprise in the movie.

3 Likes