September's Community Member of the Month: FelixLeiter!

HAPPY DCUNIVERSARRY @AntLeon!

8 Likes

Happy anniversary!

8 Likes

Happy day of your DCU account’s birth! :partying_face:

8 Likes

Happy anniversary @AntLeon

9 Likes

Thank you all, but i would prefer not to hijack the thread. Mostly because I don’t really know the guest of honor.

10 Likes

You don’t know yourself :rofl:

7 Likes

Happy Anniversary @AntLeon :tada:

9 Likes

Absolutely…

5 Likes

Since this is a thread all about me and my love of DC allow me to plug a DC product that you can all join for free and that I think you would all enjoy - the DC NFT project.

I got into this back in May with a Bat Cowl NFT (my profile picture) and have loved it. It was promoted as the ultimate DC Fan Experience and so far it has delivered. In just the first four months I’ve gotten to vote on 20 different aspects of an upcoming Batman comic book (everything from the title and cover to the villain, the sidekick and the teaser for the second issue), gotten to be a detective in Gotham solving 10 different crimes using clues sent to me by the Batcomputer, gotten a virtual tour of the Batman Archives with a Warner Bros. Archivist showing me the Bat Cowl collection from the movies, the Batsuit collection from the movies and, soon, the Batmobile collections from the movies - plus a whole lot more. All of that was included with the initial purchase.

But now, for the first time since launch in early May, they’re expanding the project. This Friday is the Harley Quinn Freakin’ Awesome Boxes of Mayhem mint and it’s 100% free and available to anyone on earth. All you need to do is the following:

• Go to NFT.DCUniverse.com (or go to DC.com, click on “More” and then select “DC NFTs”)
  • Create an account (it’s free)
  • On Friday, September 30th at noon ET/9am PT go back to NFT.DCUniverse.com and mint your free Harley Quinn Freakin’ Awesome Box of Mayhem

There are 30,000 available and that’s it. I believe they will sell out so if you’re interested I suggest you be prompt. The reason I hope you do this is because I LOVE being a part of this project and I think all y’all would as well. This minting is the second opportunity for people to get involved with DC NFTs and will get you access to the project going forward. The project will continue to grow and expand in the future and if you are already involved you’ll be ahead of the curve for future opportunities and events.

I love this community on here at DCUI, it’s without a doubt my favorite place to come on the internet. Seriously. All of you have helped create a place that is Chicken Soup for my soul and when I come in here I know I will be greeted with love and a shared enjoyment of everything DC. I’ve literally never had a bad experience in here and you all know how rare that is. I also love the DC NFT project and want you all to share in that fun, those events and that world.

If you have any questions please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them. Hope to see you all in the DC NFT project later this week and thanks for reading/listening!

11 Likes

Ahem… Join @Knightwatchers club! @FelixLeiter runs it!

5 Likes

:thinking: this sounds familiar . . .

6 Likes

One thing I’ll add to the DC NFT recommendation, you do NOT need crypto currency or an eth wallet. Palm is self-contained so your NFT collection will be on their website and you can use your credit card to buy anything you may want to buy. Very user friendly for people, like me, who are brand new to the NFT world.

5 Likes

Here’s a brief breakdown on why I picked each of the comics I selected as my recommendations:

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.25.21

Hawkman is my favorite character in the DC Universe and I still consider this to be the definitive run for him. These 49 issues explore Hawkman in a variety of ways and have different iterations of him including an Old West version called Nighthawk (along with Cinammon/Hawkgirl). I love these stories, the artwork and it was the first Omnibus I bought.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.25.34

I love The New 52 era of DC and this was one of my favorite characters/books in that entire run. He was a new character and the idea that he had different powers every time he resurrected was so fun. You didn’t know what you’d get from one issue to the next and anything was possible. The artwork is also excellent.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.25.45

This one was a must have for my list of recommendations. If I could only have picked three titles this still would have made the list because, to my knowledge, it’s the only comic that is literally only available here on DCUI. When they took the video away from DC Universe Infinite one of the things they promised us was exclusive titles here on DCUI and this was delivery on that promise. I hope there are more in the works but for now - I love the exclusivity of this comic and the randomness of it. The intros/wrap-ups from Ambush Bug are fun, the stories that were written in the past but were never published are a lot of fun to read and there’s a page/panel in the Batman book that is so uniquely drawn…I hope you check it out and see what I am talking about.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.25.55

I had never heard of this until the TV show got announced and then when I heard it was based on a DC comic I sought it out and LOVED it. The storytelling from Jeff Lemire was fantastic, the world he created and the characters - amazing. As an animal lover myself there were some rough moments in this book but ultimately it just made the story more powerful.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.26.04

My favorite comics writer is Ed Brubaker and this story of the Gotham police trying to do their job was such a stripped down, gritty version of the comics world I know that it was almost perfection. Getting to know the GCPD and especially Renee Montoya was fantastic. The characters felt real and it was like watching The Wire and Gotham combined into a comic book. I believe this is the only one that was on both @Razzzcat’s list and mine as well - what does that tell you about how great this book is!

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.26.13

Full credit to @Jurisdiction for turning me onto this one. This was a part of the Obscurity Club selections and I loved it from the first panel. Like Gotham Central this took the superpowers away and just focused on real people living in a superpower world and the characters, the action and the humor were so well done and enjoyable. I really hope they make this into a TV series one day - I think it would be a huge success.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.26.24

This is a book I bought because it was on sale and hadn’t read but I love the concept of, again, removing the major characters/heroes and seeing what happens. I really enjoy how each issue is a week and I read one issue each week out of the omnibus I bought. The stories are compelling and the artwork is really clean, crisp and vibrant.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.26.33

DCeased was one of the most impactful comics I’ve ever read. This series has given me more :astonished: moments than any other comic by far. There’s a panel/moment that made me say “Oh my God!” out loud, something that has never happened before or since with a comic. I love this series so much and when the Omnibus finally comes out to collect all the stories I will absolutely buy it. Until then I’ll revisit it often here on DCUI.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.30.25

I am a fan of the old radio shows from the 1940s and 1950s and this took me right back to those. The HBO Max shows are some of my favorites and I’m looking forward to season two beginning October 7th. When I saw this book I had to get it to revisit the characters and world that the show had created and I’ve re-read this numerous times already. Such a fun series and world within the DC Universe.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.30.35

If you’re a Hawkman fan you’re probably a Hawkgirl fan and I’m no exception. I consider this the definitive run on her character and loved that she got her own title, brief as it may have been. Some great adventures and action in these stories and with the Hawks you know there’s always high stakes!

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.30.46

This is the newest title I picked and I had just finished it when I made the selections. I loved this book, obviously, and thought it brought Supergirl to a new level. The story was one long arc but the exploration of new worlds, of new characters and the way they made Supergirl such a hero, a badass and a cool character was fantastic. Brilliant series from start to finish.

Screenshot 09-29-2022 11.30.55

We end where we began - with Hawkman. This run by Robert Venditti is a close second to the Geoff Johns run I mentioned earlier as the definitive Hawkman story and I loved the way they reset the character, explained his reincarnation and took him through his history from the beginning to now. There were some phenomenal panels/moments in this run that, as a Hawkman fan, really hit hard and having collected all of these as they came out in comic shops I re-visit this run often and enjoy it each time I do.

Thanks for reading this and I hope you check out some of the titles I picked. If you did I’m always up to discuss them so drop me a line here or send me a message!

10 Likes

Fun fact: There was talk of a Hitman show, but they shut it down before it even came close to starting.

6 Likes

Today is the last day that I will be the active Community Member of the Month here on DCUI and I want to end it where I began - by thanking @Jitsu and all the @moderators for this honor, this recognition and this opportunity. It was a true pleasure and every time I went on to DCUI or came here and saw my recommendations or the banner posting with my name on it I smiled. Thank you for a month full of smiles.

To all that commented in this thread and offered congratulations or kind words, thank you as well. Each one made me smile, each one made this feel special and all of you are a part of why this community is my favorite place on the internet.

I truly enjoyed sharing my love of DC, my “origin story” and my recommendations with all of you and am humbled to have been chosen. I look forward to seeing who the October Community Member of the Month will be and learning more about them and their love of all things DC. This is a wonderful program that has been started and I’m so pleased to have been a part of it.

:heart: :dc: :heart:

12 Likes

I’m so happy to hear this!! My heart is thoroughly warmed. :heart: Absolutely honored to have you here.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing so much about yourself last month! We’re all glad you’re a part of this amazing community!

7 Likes