Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern

I give it a 7.5 but Ryan Reynolds is now deadpool. Time to find a new Hal Jordan & John Stewart.

1 Like

CGI, plot. And I love Ryan R.

My opinion they shoulda did it like stars wars episodes 4,5 and 6 and start right at blackest night. No more just one other corps they’re fighting. Do the best then go backwards.

The way the walking dead is with zombies and dead super heroes…it would crush shit.

Ryan Reynolds too corny as hal. Should be armie hammer.

I didn’t hate it but Ahh…Idk.

2 Likes

Definitely the plot for me. Would’ve preferred something in space maybe the man hunters. I think everyone they got for the corps characters did a great job, but should’ve shown more of them hence my wanting it to be a space/corps movie

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of the posters that GL wasn’t bad but it wasn’t that good either. It was kind of a mess. The actual origin with the passing of the ring and all the scenes on OA and in space and aliens were GREAT. All the stuff on Earth sucked and looked cheap. Parallax was weak and can be listed as the first of a long line of CG villians which are never as good as an actual live actor playing villians. Hector Hammond looked pretty good but could have been completely cut from the movie and not missed. Sinestro was awesome and should have been the villain. Mid movie he should have gone yellow ring evil leading to a final showdown with Hal at the end. BTW Ryan was really good.

1 Like

I have defended this movie for years (along with Superman Returns). It has some structural and pacing problems, but it’s by no means a “dog” of a film. And as I have said elsewhere on this app. I could name a dozen DC and Marvel CBM’s that were worse than this film. So you know what, here they are in no particular order: Superman IV, Thor: Darkworld, The Hulk, Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man II, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider, X-Men Apocalypse, X-Men Origins Wolverine. Of course, I won’t bother to mention the travesties that went straight to video. You know what they are. Green Lantern was an enjoyable CBM, and I would have liked to have seen a sequel.

I enjoyed the movie, but I thought the end was a let down and Hal didn’t come off as ‘willful’ as I see him in the comics. I think the movie either should have focused on the dual spectrum power paths of Hal and Hector with the GL Corps. and Sinestro being teased for the future or explored all the galactic craziness of the Corps. in space as seen in First Flight. Ping ponging Hal back and forth with two villains, the last of which was a watered down Parallax that didn’t even have a big space battle, didn’t leave me satisfied as a viewer. If I’m being teased a giant crazy space monster, then I want a giant crazy space battle. Also, at the end why would Sinestro be tempted to go yellow if the ‘scary’ yellow entity is defeated fairly easily by one junior Green Lantern?

In general, I liked the side characters. I liked that Carol saw right through the mask (although I thought the race car track scene knocking her out was blah and should have happened completely differently). I thought Sinestro was spot on (minus the comment above). This movie inspired me to look up the GL mythos. I now own a ridiculous amount of GL comics, so I guess the movie did some things right.

1 Like

Honestly I love all superhero movies so i thought it was great but Deadpool is better. And Ryan was made for Deadpool.

2 Likes

I think a lot of folks didn’t like the villain

It was not a great movie, but I didn’t hate it. I wished it was better because Green Lantern deserves better, but don’t think it was near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

2 Likes

It honestly was the suit and the mask for me they pulled focus. I didn’t hate it entirely but I think they lack an over arching theme or the couldn’t agree on cause there were a couple different ones that were under developed. I was welmed.

His suit and the parallax design are both really ugly and all the background lanterns on Oa look generic and bland because they only focused on a few characters and every other lantern is just filler in the background. it isn’t as charming as they thought it was on paper. It feels hollow. I’m a huge GL fan and just really did not enjoy sitting through that movie. It didn’t help that First Flight and The New Frontier had gotten really good direct to DVD animates adaptations. Seriously, those are both way better GL representations on screen

1 Like

Hal Jordan/Green Lantern has such potential in the DCEU. He can be the character that starts out as the hero, then becomes evil, as he did in the comics, and then redeems himself by saving the earth. That story line (Darkest Night) in comics was one of the most compelling I have ever read. I always loved GL and was initially pissed that he turned rogue. But it WAS interesting, and the concept of power corrupting is very real to humans. This would work because the world loves redemption stories.

Personally, I didn’t mind Reynolds performance in the least. I actually kind of enjoyed it! My biggest gripe is the production value. It seemed kinda thrown together. Reynolds has even said that was why he considered it one of his worst acting experiences ever. The script was continually being redone. They wouldn’t know what was on the script until they arrived.
I’d like to see him return for a sequel or the GLC film. Mark Strong as Sinestro, too. A finished script, a good director, and a practical effect costume could be a good thing!

@green-hood I can honestly say that this is one film that I liked the theatrical cut more than the extended cut.

Totally agree @vroom! A physical suit should have been made and then accent it with CGI.

2 Likes

The script was terrible and strayed way too far from the GL mythos. Parallax wasn’t even necessary and his cloud form was plain ugly. It had way too much focus on Hal and Carol instead of actual GL material, the presence of Hector Hamond was completely unnecessary and felt like it was crammed in at the last minute, just like everything in the movie. The script wasn’t even written when they started filming and was haphazardly slapped together at the last minute, and Green Lantern is not a movie you can really do that with given the extensive and complex mythos. Honestly, Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan wasn’t a bad choice, I can see why they cast him, and the guy who played Sinestro was great. However, the CGI was a bit of an eye sore given how much of the movie relied on it and how bright and audacious it all was. The suits could have been toned down a lot and didn’t all have to glow so brightly. The characters weren’t exactly poorly rendered and it had redeemable qualities, visually speaking. The casting was okay and some of the characters looked good, but the suits, the constructs, and Oa in general were just one green eye sore. Honestly, the movie would have been much better without the tired cliche of accidentally letting ancient evil cloud loose and now it’s going to eat Earth. It would have been better to start with a Manhunter invasion and the mystery of their reactivation, eventually being found out to be Sinestro using to take out the Guardians, use the bomb he implanted in them before reactivating them, killing them after they took out the Guardians, looking like a hero, and instilling himself as ruler of Oa and leader of the Green Lantern Corps. Being found out by Hal when he noticed that a Manhunter went out of its way not to kill Sinestro, only minorly wound him and kill the lantern behind him. Then, after mentioning it to the Guardians, being denied by all, then being approached by Ganthet afterwards who mentioned noticing Sinestro’s odd behavior and inconsistencies in his stories as well, then getting Killowog on board who never trusted Sinestro. After telling Tomar-Re their theory, he didn’t believe it and confronted Sinestro, who denied it and killed him when his back was turned. Claiming it to be a Manhunter attack, saying they’ve started to arrive on Oa, but Sinestro took out the one who killed Tomar-Re confirmed their theory, as his wounds were inconsistent with a Manhunter attack. From their, Sinestro’s plot unravels and more Lanterns die before he’s defeated by Hal who detonates the Manhunters afterwards and Sinestro is banished to Quard, where he returns in the next movie with his own ring and a new lantern corps.
Or something like that. It would have been better than what we ended up with.

I like the Green Lantern extended better, and here is why Roger Ebert said you must care about the person, and in the extended cut it talks more about Hal Jordan then just oh It’s. Green Lantern film, that’s how I see it.

the cgi amazing!!!?? idk abt that one man, gotta say i don’t love the movie as much as u