Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern

Does Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stuart count with all their different versions in the X-Men films. There’s first trilogy continuity, then Wolverine: Origins continuity, then Prequel continuity that I’m sorry does not match first trilogy at all before during or after Days of Future Past or Apocalypse, then there’s The Wolverine continuity linked maybe to original trilogy but not Wolverine: Origins, then last but not least-Logan which matches none of them.

2 Likes

As one of the biggest Lantern fans ever I will weigh in on this. Ryan and Mark were the only good things about the movie, period. They both took a garbage script and made the movie DECENT. Yes the CGI was a little underwhelming but the writing was all over the place and had numerous plot holes.

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qv0pD-Nfag Sums up the entire movie lol.

Hello, Megan, I totally forgot about Trickster. To say nothing of when Conroy and Hamill have played Batman and Joker in different things set in different continuities and when Tim Daly and George Newbern played Superman in different things, etc.

1 Like

Green Lantern movie was… decent. Not amazing, not horrible. I think they should remake Green Lantern and go with a story line similar to the movie Training Day. “On his first day on the job as a Los Angeles narcotics officer, a rookie cop goes beyond a full work day in training within the narcotics division of the L.A.P.D. with a rogue detective who isn’t what he appears to be.” Mix it with the Green Lantern First Flight films story. I think it would be fantastic.

1 Like

With the newest Green Lantern installment coming out in the future, chances are they will be focusing on an older, seasoned Hal Jordan training a younger John Stewart coming out of the USMC. I really like your movie analogy (definitely a great film) and with Johns helping with the movie, there is a chance that the GLC will be pretty dark.

1 Like

Also, Parallax and the Spectre will more than likely play an important part in the story. Expect Hal to once again be the top dog/badass we’re accustomed to seeing. It gives me chills thinking about the potential this movie has with Geoff!

I think the actors and the time on Oa were stellar. The set up for Sinestro and actor had me excited. Where the movie fell flat was the villain. Just wasn’t done well at all and became this cgi cloud of mess rampaging around the city. Movie would of done so much better if sinestro or well developed villain was used. My personal opinion most of my favorite movies or series have a villain developed so well they rival even the hero in terms of quality and interesting aspects.

1 Like

Regarding antagonists, I’d be happy to see Red Lanterns as the villains in GLC. Atrocitus needs his live action due.

2 Likes

He did a good job

In order for the GLC movie to be successful like Aquaman is to go the distance and spend the majority of the movie in Space. Introduce the audience to the Emotional Spectrum because there are just too many good characters in the mythos to pass on. Set up an enormous space battle (Take Aquaman’s battle for example :sunglasses:) and make the villains relatable. There’s nothing wrong with having sympathetic characters. If anything it makes the story better so movie goers can see the struggles between each character!

2 Likes

Reynolds did NOT debut in “Just Friends”. He’d been acting for 14 years by time that came out.

If I had directed GL back then I would have cast Ryan. I would not have used the script because it is pretty bad. The soundtrack is fine. If you’re watching the extended cut, they did cut the first part of the movie down by about 11 minutes for theater. And they cut a lot of the CG scenes from the end. The movie was barely what it should have been. WB wanted it to be 3D halfway through post-production so the money that should have been spent on finishing cool action scenes was spent on converting a CG heavy 2D film into 3D.

There’s further proof why most 3D conversions are an absolute waste of money.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it when I first saw it, and led me down the rabbit hole of Green Lanterns and the GLC. But as time wore on I enjoyed it less and less. The cast is great, but something about the movie just isn’t right. Feels very basic on rewatches and isn’t something I would recommend to others. I can still enjoy it, but just not the way I did when it first released.

The GL movie is the pure definition of “meh.” It wasn’t bad, but completely forgettable. Too many plot threads and most fell flat. And the Oa scene was like 5 minutes long. They should have based at least a good third of the movie on that. It’s like they had a trilogy that was squeezed into one. Plus Ryan Reynolds doing his Ryan Reynolds thing doesn’t appeal to me. It’s not totally bad. I just won’t ever feel completed to watch it again.

I really want another GL film. And at some point I want to see Jessica Cruz on the big screen. Right now she is the most interesting Lantern.

1 Like

People were expecting an cosmic epic and what we got instead was a run of the mill origin story with a c-level villain and a horrible representation of an a-level one. The movie actually started off good. All the Oa scenes were done very well. But sadly it dive bombed from there. Is it as bad as they say? Nah, it has its moments. But it was a huge letdown and it ruined the big momentum the overall franchise had going at the time.

3 Likes

2011 was still a banner year for Green Lantern in general though. The comics, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, and Green Lantern: The Animated Series all put the movie in the rear window.

2 Likes

ryan reynolds. that was proof that dc drops the ball. there was no saving that movie. it was like watching quest for peace and having to play charades about everything that was inedaquite or simply foolish. like david hasslehoff droping the ball as nick fury. or g.i. joe with the rock in it. sometimes a good cry is better than a bad stand.

1 Like

I thought it was a great movie.

1 Like

I think @DCCOMICSINCRISIS nailed it. WB’s approach to GL was just too basic, they were still in an old school filmaking mindset. Step one: cast a big star
Step two: cast an attractive love interest
Step three: apply “Horton’s brand superhero movie formula”
Done, start making deals for the toy and cartoon tie-ins. The general audience wanted something more sophisticated, hence MoS.

1 Like