Ruby Rose Slams CW, Details Horrific Conditions Behind Her Batwoman Departure

She’s already gone on the record saying she did indeed quit.

5 Likes

When it first happened I kept hearing she quit.

4 Likes

Guys, verbal/in print statements by either party in situations like this are a chess match of sorts- a lot of strategizing going on in order to elicit actions from the other side in order to test the waters for future movements. Sometimes subterfuge in the form of denials are placed in play, even if they’re not accurate. I’m not claiming that that’s at work here in Rose’s and BW series execs’ situation but I have seen it first hand in others. These battles can escalate to into volatility very quickly and anything can be said before and after an incident by either party but nothing really matters until it comes out in legal proceedings/in the courts. That’s just the nature of this area of showbusiness.

5 Likes

I know that’s how it was made to look initially, but now those earlier explanations just feel like Ruby wasn’t able to be completely honest or wasn’t able to work up the courage to do so until now. I think the idea that she was let go unfairly is still in play and I’m sure she would’ve quit if they had actually decided to bring her back, but her testimonies yesterday really seem to be the 1st time she’s actually been able to be fully honest about this entire situation

3 Likes

Gotcha’ on this @arkhamassassin and I do indeed understand the place where you’re coming from, but again, until the facts can be sussed out in an official capacity we’re all left here on the sidelines to speculate.

5 Likes

Not a fan of litigating workplace disputes via Instagram. Rose sharing her story is her right, that’s fine, I assume she is being truthful. I also assume others who are also being truthful have other perspectives. If there was abusive behavior going on on set, there certainly are avenues through which that can and should be addressed, but I’m not going to boycott a show or call for people to be fired over something someone said on Instagram.

3 Likes

Nothing she said rises to the level of defamation. Everyone involved are public, or at least quasi-public figures. The standard to prove libel would be virtually impossible to overcome, and even if anyone cleared that hurdle, proving actual damages from something like this would be a Herculean task.

3 Likes

These are some truly horrifying allegations. I think this calls for a full formal investigation.

6 Likes

This is even worse than Ray Fisher’s allegations and that led to a big investigation, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do at least the same in this case

6 Likes

They are nowhere near the same level. One was about insults and unprofessionalism. This sounds life threatening. If Fisher’s was investigated then this should easily be checked in with much more vigor.

4 Likes

With the way the ratings keep going down, I doubt it will be around much longer. Batwoman is one of my favorite characters and the show has been a huge disappointment. Maybe they can cancel it and reboot it on HBOMAX in a few years.

6 Likes

It could be worse. One of the first things I heard is it was about a gender flipped Batman, and the creators had no idea there was already a Batwoman.

3 Likes

I’m always inclined to believe the individual victim over a corporation and the people who hold power over them. The allegations Rose makes are absolutely horrid and terrifying. I find it unlikely anyone would lie to that degree knowing how extreme the consequences would be.

I think the best thing to do moving forward, as fans, is to just put our money where our mouth is. Stop watching the show and continue to voice frustration with this situation (and the list of similar accusations from other parties) in threads like this and on other social media platforms. Then, don’t stop until WB comes out with a better statement and plan to address the systemic issue of abuse from higher-ups in their company OR, somehow, concretely prove that the accusations against them are false.

4 Likes

So I need to start watching so I can quit watching? Fascinating.

3 Likes

Well, Rose is getting more pushback in form of one of the production assistants in the first season:

It definitely doesn’t paint a pretty picture of her, though it doesn’t really address the more heinous aspects of Rose’s allegations. I think it’s fair to say that Rose could have been a diva on set AND that the set was unsafe.

9 Likes

What triggered this now? I have to wonder if she wasn’t offered an arc this season, but with so m any caveats it just set her off. Or some idiot called and told her they would have asked her to do a few episodes, but so-and-so had stipulations and so it wasn’t gonna happen. Whether she wanted to hear from these people or not. Do I believe Ruby? You betcha. Are there other peoples angles on all this? Yes. Are some things just wrong? Yes again. Weirdly, though, showrunners don’t visit the set that often. This is changing…

Still, most of the people making the show shouldn’t lose their jobs because of a handful-- even if a couple of those people sit at the top of the latter.

4 Likes

I had seen some anonymous comments roll in since this first started of people who claimed to work on the set and said Ruby was entirely in the wrong. I was thinking I wouldn’t put any stock in the claims of people not willing to prove they actually had the status they claimed, but this is different. Between this now being the 3rd public refute of her claims and the fact that no other CW actors have publicly supported her (that I know of) over 24 hours later, I’m a lot more convinced this is just gonna get swept under the rug, which is incredibly upsetting

5 Likes

This reads more like perception than truth. And somebody teach this guy how to proofread.

5 Likes

Actually, make that the 4th refute since I completely missed that Camrus Johnson responded late last night. Admittedly it’s not as much of a direct denial of Ruby as the other 3, but it still very much reads like victim blaming and just makes him look even worse imo

I’m willing to cut Ruby some slack on the messiness since her claims were done in a series of social media posts made just by her, but if you’re gonna put out a formal release, I agree, you’ve gotta present it better

5 Likes

Ruby’s statement reads like triggered anger. The modern world allows you to not just vent to your five closest friends-- but everybody with the internet.

But yea-- I was a production assistant two and a half years ago and now I run a small film company in Vancouver guy is not making himself look good.

Camrus just sounds business young.

6 Likes