Ruby Rose Slams CW, Details Horrific Conditions Behind Her Batwoman Departure

I recommend anyone interested in this to start w/ Ruby’s Instagram stories posted earlier today, but this is also put together in article form by at least a couple sources:

As incredibly upsetting and infuriating as this all is to hear, it does actually explain Ruby’s then-seemingly sudden departure a lot better. It’s absolutely heartbreaking to see the details of how she went from being so incredibly excited to play this groundbreaking role to experiencing so much abuse and neglect that had these adverse effects on both her physical and mental health, and she wasn’t even the only one who was negatively affected here. Regardless of how you feel about her performance, the current state of the show, etc., it’s clear that this is an ugly situation all around that needs to be addressed ASAP

16 Likes

I hardly ever wish or preach for a show to be canceled, but this seems like a legitimate reason to. Something tells me that if this can happen to one lead, it could happen to another. The less people who watch this show now reduces the support of it… we as the viewers have to decide if we still wish to continue giving support to something that could be more sinister behind the scenes, especially if we don’t know if it’s still occurring to other members on set.

I feel sorry for Ruby and everyone else who has experienced the abuse they had to endure, and I hope they get better in the future and get the care they deserve.

I hope more people will see this thread, and soon.

10 Likes

I think beyond the viewership, other CW cast members are really gonna need to speak out in support of Ruby, especially people on Batwoman currently. The influence they have as public figures and people directly involved w/ these shows would speak even larger volumes than the outcry from us as fans, though that certainly needs to be sustained as well. I’m very curious to see who else will weigh in on this as the day/week goes on

11 Likes

Agreed.

8 Likes

@Mae, @biff_pow, @DC89, @Pow-Pow

Wanted to bring this to your attention if you haven’t heard or seen this yet.

8 Likes

Wow, the more you read, the worse it freaking gets. It really wasn’t just the execs, but the showrunner and even some of the actors. She namedrops the actors who played Jacob Kane and Luke Fox and some of their crap behavior on set as well.

During Fandome I was thinking “Maybe I should get caught up on this show.” Now…I really don’t think I will.

10 Likes

Thankfully Dougray Scott is now off the show and hopefully won’t be invited back, but Caroline Dries and Camrus Johnson will definitely have more pressure on them now since they’re still actively big parts of the show, though admittedly the latter’s behavior doesn’t seem quite as bad as everyone else’s but still worth addressing

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s fair – Camrus, at least from what Rose has said in these, isn’t nearly on the same level as Scott. That just sounded petty. “wElL iF yOu WeReN’t LaTe…!”

5 Likes

I stopped watching Batwoman after the first season, not because Ruby Rose left, but because I simply couldn’t get into the show. I believe Ms. Rose and I really feel sorry for her. Some show runners really shouldn’t be show runners! Sadly, this kind of thing has always been rather common. I knew an actress on a now classic show who suffered abuse at the hands of some of her fellow cast members. When she complained about her abuse to the show runner, she was fired. I do hope Ruby Rose’s complaints are addressed and appropriate discipline is handed out if they wish to continue with the show at all.

5 Likes

That unfortunately wouldn’t solve the problem

Not to mention that 2 of the people mentioned are no longer involved with the show

Boycotting the show would only put people out of jobs.The problem lies with abusive executives, cast and trying to film a heavily stunted Superhero show on a low budget, making conditions dangerous. Apparently stunt actors view CW DC shows as more dangerous.

6 Likes

Well it’s become clear that some people may very well need to be put out of a job. I’m not saying the entire show should be canned and everyone involved be let go, but nothing’s gonna get better if all the people who committed/enabled this abuse are just allowed to continue on like nothing happened

8 Likes

I was more talking about the workers that need the job. If you are comfortable enough to treat people in a way that Ruby described, I feel like you have little to lose.

I completely understand the mindset of staying in an abusive work place because you need the job. Hopefully with the exit of 2 of the accused, things have improved. But either way, there are gonna be some big changes with Warner Bros. And DC in 2022 with Discovery stepping in.

5 Likes

You certainly hope that’s the case, but Dries is still on as showrunner and she also called out people like Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter for enabling this sort of behavior even if just through neglect. I’m not saying everyone Ruby called out should immediately be fired, but making further big personnel changes at this point also shouldn’t be out of the question

5 Likes

This is true, This is not the first time that I have heard complaints of Dries. Many POC feel that she does not present characters of color, especially women, with the respect and care they deserve, but I don’t know how involved she is, especially considering Ruby’s statement.

Very recently the head of the CW said that the Discovery merger does not currently effect them. I wonder if he spoke too soon.

5 Likes

Considering that, I’d say not much at all, which is especially bad considering the show is now working w/ a Black lead and an almost completely POC main cast. Any show requires a lot of attention from the showrunner, but especially when you’ve got such a diverse cast that’s naturally gonna lead to racial themes coming up more on the show. But considering that didn’t really start becoming more of a focus until after Ruby left, I’d say it’s a separate discussion, though still at least somewhat related

5 Likes

This is really disheartening to read. I’m obviously a big Batwoman fan and this show was a dream come true, but it’s sadly been mired in things outside of celebrating the character of Kate Kane and Batwoman that I love so much. I’m a fan of Ruby as well, even since seeing her on OITNB. I hope Berlanti and the Arrowverse peeps can address this publicly.

8 Likes

She actually just updated her story again and said that this all has “been handed over to the appropriate people now.” It may be a while before we find out exactly who’s handling the situation going forward, if we ever do, but it sounds like it could be a promising next step

9 Likes

I haven’t read all of these articles but yikes.

I’m glad she is able to speak out and I feel bad for supporting this show though all of this. I hope everyone is investigated thoroughly and we see this handled properly.

5 Likes

She credited IATSE and Scar Jo for giving her the courage to speak up. She has also asked that people leave Javicia out of all of this as well as others she didn’t mention.

Twitter seems to take this as a WB issue, but it is very clear that this is an issue with ALL of Entertainment.

6 Likes

I just put the articles there to show that entertainment news sites are reporting on this to better indicate it’s a big story, but they all say pretty much the same thing. All you really need to see for now are her IG stories

6 Likes