[Recommendations] I Love Black Label, But new to DC Universe: Any Suggestions?

The Black Label titles are evolving constantly, and we even have a club in the forums dedicated to reading Black Label hot off the presses! But what’s on DC Universe that folks can read to scratch that Black Label itch?

Post all your suggestions in the comments below, and I’ll create a list right here in this topic for easy browsing!

Edit: Thanks so much for all your recs! It sounds like a lot of what we have on the service sidestepped the restriction by being retroactively categorized under Black Label. Sneaky, sneaky! For those who love Black Label AND Vertigo, check out this Vertigo recommendation thread, as well :books:

Animal Man (2011)
Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (2002)
DC: The New Frontier (2004)
Doomsday Clock (2017)
Harley Quinn (2013)
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel (2005)
All-Star Superman (2010)
Superman (1986) #204-#216
Saga of the Swamp Thing (1982)
Swamp Thing (2011) - by Scott Snyder

6 Likes

Below is the conversation that inspired this topic!
(Apologies for lurking, the comments were right there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

3 Likes

No no your fine trust me I desperately wish it was myself but I own the trade too so no biggy. You know I haven’t seen hardly any black label on here have you

4 Likes

No. I don’t believe there’s many.

3 Likes

I know stuff like all star superman and doomsday clock is but no white knight no mister miracle no Harleen or superman year one either what’s your favorite black label title so far

4 Likes

I was gonna say in my original post. DC sent me Harleen for community hero. It’s unbelievable. I opened it & read it the second after I set up my thank u thread for them. Hardcover edition. It’s so beautiful & such an incredible read.

4 Likes

Forgot. I also just put in a request for White Knight. Haven’t read it yet.

3 Likes

Oh that’s amazing in hoping to be a community hero one day as well so its exciting to hear they were that generous to send that out already I hope your request for white knight proves fruitful it’s absolutely amazing who would you like to see given 5he black label treatment

4 Likes

I’m all females. Zatanna & Huntress (Bertinelli) top 2. Out of those 2 Helena would definitely be the more suited, & overall, a perfect character choice for a Black Label.

5 Likes

Fully agree tbh I think selina deserves one I think that it could be something special with the right people on it and maybe win some fans back after the wedding and all that by just doing a down and dirty catwoman

4 Likes

Ooooh. Huntress Black Lanel. I like where your heads at. :facepunch:t3: And Harleen was great! I’m a big fan of the artist. :crossed_fingers:t3: fingers crossed he gets another.

5 Likes

Right? Totally agree on both statements. Man I can’t say enough about Harleen. I pictured Huntress in a similar type story as soon as I finished it.

4 Likes

Same. I’m craving it already.

3 Likes

For Superman: Year One fans…

-All-Star Superman (2006). One of the most acclaimed tales in all of comicdom since it was published and for good reason. To say anymore is to let the flavor out of the succulent meal this mini is, so eat up, for it is DELICIOUS.

-Superman (1987) #'s 204-216, the For Tomorrow arc. Brian Azzarello (no stranger to Black Label due to Batman: Damned and the retroactively added Joker OGN) pens a tale of Superman questioning his faith in himself as he tries to solve a mystery while also dealing with Wonder Woman and the JLA, a rogue government operative and villains General Zod and Equus. Jim Lee’s pencils on this tale are exquisite and amongst the best work of his career.

For Batman: Damned fans…

-Lex Luthor: Man of Steel (2005): A five issue mini-series, also by Brain Azzarello, this time with art by his Joker and Batman: Damned collaborator, Lee Bermejo. This title showcases Superman from Lex’s POV and why he so strongly feels Krypton’s last son is a threat to humanity.

-Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (2002): Anyone who liked Batman: Damned will likely enjoy this as it was, like Damned, written and illustrated by Azzarello and Bermejo and is a three issue mini-series as well.

For Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey fans…

-Harley Quinn (2013): Before they worked on Harley’s latest Black Label title (Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, for those unaware), Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner worked their magic on this New 52 ongoing.

Finally, and best of all, there’s DC: The New Frontier (2004). Written and illustrated by comic book master Darwyn Cooke, this 6 issue mini-series showcases several DC heroes against the backdrop of the Cold War, and truly is a masterwork in every way, especially when seen as Cooke’s love letter to the Silver Age.

All-Star Superman, DC: The New Frontier and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel have been retroactively added to the Black Label line via recent collected edition/trade releases. Not only are they thematically similar to Black Label, but technically speaking, they ARE Black Label too, and are the few Black Label books on the service when looked at from that perspective.

4 Likes

Killer Smile by Jeff Lemire was really dope. Interesting interpretation of the Joker in our word where everyone has a take on the character. I’ve also been digging this new Hellblazer title, I still have two more to read to be caught up, but the first and second one were good reads.

3 Likes

There’s also DC: The New Frontier, which has been re-released AS a Black Label book, but predates the brand.

4 Likes

If Black Label itches you were you scratch…Old Vertigo would be right up your alley. Sandman by Gaiman, 100 Bullets by Azzarello, Swamp Thing (Any writer), Books of Magic by Gaiman, Animal Man by Morrison

There is not a lot of Vertigo back in the day that wasn’t amazing.

3 Likes

Anyone who enjoyed Scott Snyder’s Batman: The Last Knight on Earth would likely enjoy his work on American Vampire too, along with his New 52 Swamp Thing.

4 Likes

Batman: Damned

2 Likes