[Recommendations] I Love Vertigo, But New to DC Universe: What Should I Read?

Find your recommendations below in our new collection, Mature Comics!

I do confess, Vertigo comics are my first love. Inspired by a conversation between fellow Vertigo-lovers, @melindacatren.55566, @scarie2010.15620, @AlexanderKnox, and @TurokSonOfStone1950, I want to ask:

What DC Universe titles satisfy the same Vertigo tone so well described by melindacatren as “…something smart, different, and with at least a trace of a (clever/wicked) sense of humour”?

This is what’s been recommended so far:

If You Like Doom Patrol & Other Trippy Stories:
Camelot 3000 (1982)
Doom Patrol (1987)
Shade, The Changing Girl (2016)
Mother Panic (2016)
Eternity Girl (2016)
Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye (2016)

If You Like Constantine & Other Supernatural Horror/Mystery:
Constantine (2013)
Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015)
The Hellblazer (2016)
Deadman: Love After Death (1989)
Deadman: Exorcism (1992)
House of Mystery (1951)
Madame Xanadu (2008)
The Spectre (1992)
Xombi (2011)

If You Like Crime Thrillers:
Point Blank (2002)
Sleeper: Season One
Sleeper: Season Two
The Question (1986)

If You Like Alan Moore:
Saga of the Swamp Thing (1982)
Swamp Thing (2011) - by Scott Snyder
Tom Strong (1999)
Top 10 (1999)
Terra Obscura (2003)
Tomorrow Stories (1999)

If You Like Garth Ennis:
A Man Called Kev (2006)
Hitman (1996)
All-Star Section Eight (2015)
Sixpack & Dogwelder: Hard Travelin’ Heroz (2016)

If You Like Warren Ellis:
Planetary (2009)
Global Frequency (2002)
The Authority (1999)
RED (2010)

If You Like Tom King:
The Omega Men (2015)

If You Like Grant Morrison:
Doom Patrol (1987)
Animal Man (2011)
Flex Mentallo (1996)

If You Like Dark Humor:
Resurrection Man (1997)

If You Like Political Commentary:
Prez (2015)
The Flintstones (2016)
Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles (2018)
Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters (2007)

If You Like Westerns:
Jonah Hex (2006)

If You Like Mature Superhero Stories:
Justice League Dark (2011)
Resurrection Man (1997)
Starman (1994)

For Vertigo-like TV & Movies:
Doom Patrol (2019)
Swamp Thing (2019)
Harley Quinn Animated (2020)
Constantine (2015)
Constantine (2014)

Available at Your Friendly Local Comic Shop:
DCeased: A Good Day to Die (2019)
JLA/Hitman (2007)
Fallen Angel (2003)

I’ll continue to update this main topic over time with your recs, so keep 'em coming!

16 Likes

The 2011 Animal Man series is very different than the Vertigo series in content and theme, but still has a great Vertigo feel to it. Highly recommended for both fans of the Vertigo series and newcomers to the character.

7 Likes

The “Young Animal” books are also designed for the more sophisticated reader into the real weird stuff. Doom Patrol, Cave Carson, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, and Eternity Girl are all worthy reads.

7 Likes

For the Alan Moore enthusiasts, we’ve got Tom Strong, Top 10, Terra Obscura, and Tomorrow Stories.

5 Likes

Mark Russell’s comics also scratch that Vertigo itch with their up to the minute political commentary: Prez, The Flintstones, and Snagglepuss all come to mind.

5 Likes

Of course we’d be remiss to omit some of the other actual Vertigo books we have on here: like Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo, and the latter day House of Mystery series.

6 Likes

Not necessarily, I think it’s good to point out the existing Vertigo that is on here, as an exception to our rule. Thanks for all these, great stuff!

4 Likes

Speaking of political commentary, the two post-crisis “Freedom Fighters” books by Gray and Palmiotti both take a hard look at what it means to be an American, and a patriot.

And on the subject of Gray/Palmiotti: you’d be hard pressed to find a finer western in the Vertigo library than their Jonah Hex epic.

4 Likes

Oh, speaking of the Vertigo books we’ve got: Madame Xanadu is absolutely worth a look. As is our non-Vertigo Spectre series, which hits on those dark magic themes.

4 Likes

(Spectre fans should also check out Ostrander’s Martian Manhunter. They’re kind of companion pieces.)

3 Likes

Also, I love you dearly @Applejack, but you appear to have accidentally conflated Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis. It’s okay, we’ve all done it.

As long as we’re putting an Ellis category on here (and rightly so): Vertigo lovers should read his original RED #1-3.

4 Likes

The 90s Resurrection Man series has a VERY dark comedic Vertigo feel to it. (The New 52 series less so, but the original is still worth a read.)

3 Likes

Sleeper: Seasons One and Two by Ed Brubaker are precursors for some of his finest crime comic work, and highly recommended.

Also, for the Hitman fan, we have two semi-“sequels” in All-Star Section Eight, and Sixpack & Dogwelder.

4 Likes

Tom King’s first shot at Vertigo style storytelling prior to Mister Miracle, The Omega Men, is fully available here for your enjoyment.

4 Likes

Finally, I’d recommend The Question. Not that it’s particular Vertigo-y. It’s just good.

5 Likes

This thread is so beautiful… Brb gonna go add all the books here I haven’t read to my reading list. :green_heart:

5 Likes

The Spectre ( 1992 ), by Ostrander and Mandrake could have easily been a Vertigo book. Starman by Robinson has a unique feel to it.

2 Likes

The DC You volume of Prez (2015) is fantastic. Quite honestly the most underrated new title from that campaign, along with Martian Manhunter.

Point Blank and Ed Brubaker’s Sleeper are both great too.

4 Likes

Robinson’s Starman is a VERY Vertigo style book. Put it on the master list.

5 Likes

Starman
The Question
80’s Green Arrow
Fallen Angel (don’t know if that’s here)
Xombi (not sure about this either)

4 Likes