I’m looking for some recommendations in the vein of:

-Superior Foes of Spider-Man
-Gotham Central
-The Fix (by Spencer and Lieber)
-We Can Never Go Home
-Punisher: Welcome Back Frank
-All-Star Batman (Rebirth)
-Superman: For All Seasons
-Action Comics (by Morrison and Morales)
-Suicide Squad (by Ostrander)
-Copra
-Jimmy Olsen (by Fraction and Lieber)
-Hawkeye (by Fraction and Aja)
-Hitman
-Justice League International
-Superman: American Alien
-Supergirl: Being Super
-Sideways
-Superman: Secret Identity
-Miracleman (by Moore)
-Ultimate Spider-Man (by Bendis)
-Power Man and Iron Fist (by Walker and Greene)
-Daredevil (by Waid)

Basically, weird (and preferably funny with a cynical edge) takes on superhero comics. I’d like it if they were on DCU, but if you think I’d enjoy something based on my tastes, please recommend it. Thanks, all!

Justice League International 1987 the funny one

4 Likes

Love JLI. I cannot rec it enough if anyone reading this hasn’t read it.

1 Like

Have you read any Howard Chaykin? I love American Flagg! It’s a classic. Cynical, sexy, adult, funny, and violent.

3 Likes

The Kate Spenser Manhunter series has a “realistic” street feel with plenty of cynicism ( too much?). It is a great read and recommended.

3 Likes

I’ll second Kate Spencer Manhunter. Great read.

3 Likes

Warten Ellis

Marvel.Nextwave

In library

Planetary
Global Frequency

3 Likes

If u like Sideways (I love it) u should like The Silencer. I think it’s great?

2 Likes

@Batwing52

Add The Authority (1999-) to Turok’s Warren Ellis picks.

3 Likes

LOVE AMERICAN FLAGG! I own the Definitive Editions they did a few years back. They are cherished tomes on my bookshelf. Also, The Authority is excellent. Very much up my alley.

3 Likes

Love Planetary. Love Nextwave. It’s like Shakespeare, but with lots more punching!
I haven’t read Global Frequency. Would you mind giving me the gist of the series?

3 Likes

Wow. JRJR on art. I will check it out! Thanks for the rec!

2 Likes

I loved it. Some great cameos too, really great.

2 Likes

That Manhunter book is excellent. I really liked her in Event Leviathan, too, and I’m super pumped for the new miniseries Andreyko is doing with her.

2 Likes

Silencer is tied in with Leviathan events.

2 Likes

Cool! Downloading the issues to my tablet as we speak…

2 Likes

Awesome. I hope u like it :grimacing:.

2 Likes

Cerebus the Aardvark. Cynical and hilarious. Be warned, the creator a Dave Sim is a controversial figure.

2 Likes

Cerebus is a book that I’ve always been interested in reading, but I’m somewhat uncomfortable with it because, well… Dave Sim. But, if you say they’re good, I’ll try and check them out.

The idea is that there is a women.who has a list of people with special talents and another women who keeps tabs on them when they go out on mission.who lives isolated and never ventures outside her computer center.

Each issue has a different team

One issue nvolves a super soldier who has been transformed into a monster. He gets off on murdering people a lot of people.

He has not yet left the military complex he was spawned from. He has killed everybody there. He is doped up and has a nuclear reactor inside him if I remember correctly.

But he might get to someplace like Los Angelas and soon.and murder people like everybody… He is super fast with incredible reflexes.

I dont remember the whole execution team but it includes a sniper and a women with a mechanical arm

We dont see him for a while only what he has done. Then there is a big reveal.

Teams are varied. Psychiatrists Spies Assassins Stage Magicians. Parkour players.

Women men gay straight kinky.

Recently we see both women in action. The computer lady is forced out of her home and must cope.

So no super heroes. Just people with skills against things like ghosts and aliens.

2 Likes