[REACTIONS] - Superman & Lois S1 E10 - "O Mother, Where Art Thou?" - Spoilers!

I’m very excited for next week with the flashback. I don’t know if the whole episode will be like that or if it’s parts of the episode but seeing the early days of this Superman is something I’m very interested in.

Plus, come on, a Superman shirt rip is always awesome to see in live action.

4 Likes

More of this? YES PLEASE !!!

3 Likes

True, though I guess I was hoping for something more specific to 1 other show whereas the multiverse affects everyone. Plus it also raised further questions considering the multiverse is currently supposed to be closed off to everyone on Earth-Prime, but Lois was acting like this was perfectly normal. I know a few doppelgängers made their way here after Crisis, but it didn’t even feel like there was a connection to that

2 Likes

I think S+L not mentioning SG is one of those things that by itself is really harmless, but when looked at in the bigger picture is problematic.

It’s problematic because gender and comics have deep systematic issues. It’s recurring and recurring and recurring.

2 male led movies in a row isn’t an issue. 2 male led movies followed by 2 male led movies followed by… That becomes an issue. Same with comics. Same with representation in the Justice League… Same with budget… Same with employing creatives same with…

So by itself… It’s a nothing burger. But then deep inside we all know that had this been a Supergirl show and there was a pandemic Superman would 100% have been mentioned in the first season.

Why? Because history dictates that’s his privilege. As soon as the rumor mill started that a Supergirl movie might be in the works everyone started screaming for Cavill to take his place in the Supergirl movie.

I’m not saying that it’s wrong. I think Superman is important for Supergirl’s story. But it’s also time that the opposite becomes the truth.

Mentioning Kara in S+L costs literally nothing, but it’s one tiny tiny step to making female characters as valid and important as the men.

DC and comics in general have A LOT of those steps left to make, and it’s time to start walking.

4 Likes

Brilliantly said! This is especially true in a universe that’s previously gone out of its way to establish that Kara is just as important as Clark. It’s like Clark said himself, “The world doesn’t need Superman if it has Supergirl”

3 Likes

Agreed with your message, in regards to this I’ve noticed it in video games even when there’s just 1 female lead there’s toxicity online. It’s cruddy :confused:

With this I would like to give credit where it’s due to S&L in that they’ve established some great female characters in the show already. The great thing about the series overall are the character relationships and how they can make them feel vulnerable and strong at the same time which is an important aspect for people of all kinds to view in media.

Lana and Sarah are good examples of this. And the show doesn’t forget about the ‘Lois’ in Superman & Lois. She’s imo one of the best written and acted female character I’ve seen in the Arrowverse. She’s just as valid and important in my eyes as Superman is. Out of all the fantastic performances in the series she had an award winning material written for her and acted by her.

Edit: I failed to mention how the show continuously praises how much Martha meant to the citizens of Smallville. They put respect on Martha’s name.

3 Likes

@Pow-Pow Female characters as valid and as important as men?

Batwoman has mostly female leads, with two women donning the mantle.

Legends of Tomorrow is headed by both Sara and Ava.

The Flash has spotlighted Iris, Caitlin, Frost, Sue and Cecile

Black Lightning had his daughters Thunder and Lightning who had fantastic story arcs.

Supergirl is mostly a female cast.

Not to mention what was said about Lois and Lana…with the Naomi show coming next year. And Stargirl’s second season.

Believe me, there are plenty of amazing women in the Arrowverse who are valid and just as important :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

CW are doing pretty good. No arguments from me. S+L should just keep the good examples set by the shows that came before and keep doing better.

Superman is the show most as risk of getting into old bad habits due to his long history from the olden days and DCs fear of devaluing the property.

I think in many ways it’s easier for Supergirl and Black Lightning to talk about important issues and make the necessary updates to rosters. Superman is sort of cursed by his property value making it hard for him to stay relevant today. Get more contemporary than “destroying world bad” and “join the clan bad” and a good chunk of his base will flip.

Looking at the roster we can see that S+L is doing something but at the same time getting caught in the past. Look at the distribution of power: Kal-El, John Henry Irons, Jordan, Tal Rho, Sam Lane, vs Leslie Larr.

And Leslie seems sort of like a token female position of power at Rho’s side.

There is still a lot of room for S+L to step up to the plate.

1 Like

I hate how right this is. There’s still so much more potential for Superman stories to tackle important issues, but far too much of the fanbase is stuck wanting the same old thing. That said, I do feel like S&L is still pushing the boundaries of that at least a little w/ the mental health stuff, particularly w/ Jordan. It’s nothing completely groundbreaking, but it’s a good indication of just how much more of an impact these characters can make

1 Like

One thing I’ve loved about Superman and Lois is that it is back in Smallville. And it’s taken on a couple of issues quite important to those of us in rural America. (My home town’s population is 2006) We’ve had the “yes they are jobs, but at what price?” issue. And we’ve had the plight of the small town newspaper. Our town has had a weekly paper for all of my 51 years and it’s still going. Their office is way smaller though. Then again, I think DC’s Smallville is quite a bit larger than my “Smallville.”

1 Like

I’m not going to lie, the person I want to see in “Superman and Lois” the most from “Supergirl” isn’t Kara, but Lenny…I mean Lex Luthor. Jon Cryer has been great in the role and he needs to bring it over to this show.

Yes I do want the same old thing and I will not apologize for it.

3 Likes

There is nothing wrong with a show tackling issues, but at the same time, you have to understand that shows have to have a balance between entertainment and discussing issues. Some shows don’t find that balance and often sacrifice story.

Superman & Lois can absolutely discuss broader issues, but it has to be organic to the story.

1 Like

Perfectly said. As with Jordan’s anxiety for example the actor wanted that to be what he deals with but not be the center of who he is. Some shows falter at making these aspects their whole identity in the fore front first rather than a part.

It needs to be balanced. While the show doesn’t remind us in exposition beyond the pilot that Jordan has anxiety (at least that I remember)…they’ve done a good job mixing that aspect within his story of dealing with powers or how he reacted strongly in protecting the bond/connection between him and Sarah when confronting Jonathan for example.

(13:50 - 14:25)

GUYS i just had a thought, so in pre crisis the twins were one baby right, we saw for diggle’s kids they were brought back to about the same age, why didn’t it happen for clark’s? what if superman and lois is in the future and in this timeline, kara has died. this would add to why clark is so stressed and worried about jordan, his little/older cousin died superheroing.

Well not everyone is gonna be affected by Crisis in the same way. Just because JJ and Sara remained the same age doesn’t mean the same had to have happened for Jonathan and Jordan. I’ve just assumed that Crisis changed the timeline so that the boys were born years ago instead of sometime between Elseworlds and Crisis like pre-Crisis Jonathan was. And even if this takes place in a future where Kara died years ago, it wouldn’t change the fact that she still existed and was still an important part of Clark’s life for a long time

yeah i know,but it would at least explain why he isn’t talking about her

I suppose so, but it wouldn’t account for Jonathan’s comment. That’s the one I’m really most focused on atm

One thing I’d definitely like to point out in this episode and the series as a whole is showing people aren’t just one trait. I’m referring to character.

I didn’t like Kyle in the beginning. It would’ve been so easy to make him a jock/bully antagonist throughout the whole show; having him be an obstacle to the Kents. And while he’s got an alcohol problem and believes in what Morgan Edge is selling, over the course of the season we’re getting layers to him. He does care about his family and he doesn’t want to disappoint his daughter anymore. He’s still not perfect but we see he’s trying to be. Specifically this week when he woke up in that call and saw his wife and daughter, the joy in his face was such a nice progression of his character.

On other show, he’d just be one of the bad guys. It would be cut and dry. But this series is showing everyone has layers. And I appreciate that.

1 Like