[REACTIONS] - Superman & Lois S1 E10 - "O Mother, Where Art Thou?" - Spoilers!

It was just 1 – a scene from the 2nd episode was cut that would’ve showed Lois carrying a box that had a picture of her in it, Clark and Kara (pretty sure it was them on the Kent farm from Elseworlds). They said it had to be cut for time, but it doesn’t excuse the fact that they never bothered working in another instance of name-dropping her. It would’ve been so simple to work her name into an existing conversation and would’ve only taken a few extra seconds

Join the club. I’ve been worried about it since the pilot, and it’s only gotten worse

True, but this is more of a matter of her not being mentioned at all as opposed to not physically showing up. I wouldn’t have even expected to actually see Kara (in any new scenes, anyway) due to COVID filming restrictions. But none of that would’ve prevented them from having Clark casually mention Kara even just once or twice

3 Likes

Also maybe they don’t want to crossover to much in a first season just in case the show didn’t kick off or something happened with it. Like with Batwoman which they threw so much into its first season with crisis, Kara, and other for something to happen and hurting the stuff they established so maybe they are playing it safe.
Or as simply mentioned covid. :thinking:

3 Likes

That would certainly be a valid reason for not leaning too heavily on a character like Kara. The show always needed to keep the focus on its main characters and story in the 1st season like any good show should, and then when you’re more settled, there’d be more room to think about bigger crossovers. But again, there’s a huge amount of middle ground between, say, bringing in Kara as a main character and just mentioning her a few times. The season could’ve still kept the focus where it needed to be while also dropping a quick, occasional acknowledgement to the wider, established universe it inhabits

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m all aboard the worry train now.

But S+L is an amazing show outside of the Kara issue. It, to me, seems so much better than anyone else’s first season. At least, that I can think of right now.

All the acting is great. The plot. The twist reveals. And the season isn’t done yet. I wonder how they’re gonna wrap it all up.

3 Likes

True they could have mentioned her. Maybe they just couldn’t figure out a way to mention it and keep the writing smooth. Or they don’t want to even mention it in S1 so people don’t feel like they have to watch SG to see this.

1 Like

We were actually suppose to get a Batwoman crossover with Superman and Lois. So at least going by what this interview said the intent of Superman and Lois wasn’t to ignore the Arrowverse but they didn’t want to make things feel forced.
There’ll probably be more stuff in Season 2 yeah.

2 Likes

Same with all these twists they keep bringing in it it leaves wondering what could they possibly do next.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember hearing about that. Wonder if they’ll do it next season :thinking:

2 Likes

I do want that Bruce Wayne actor from Batwoman to show up on Superman and Lois. :exploding_head: that’d be cool. :crossed_fingers: Edit: I don’t follow Batwoman so if I said something dumb that’s implausible story-wise oops :3

2 Likes

True, I really want to like it more than I have, but this thing just keeps growing and overshadowing everything else for me. It would’ve been such a simple fix but it keeps getting neglected. And as for 1st seasons, I still say Flash’s is the best, but we’ll see how the last 5 episodes of this play out

But w/ that logic, Kara would never get mentioned at any point in the show’s entire run, not just the 1st season. If anything, you’d think the network would want to include references to Kara and other heroes so as to encourage people to watch those other shows if they haven’t already

2 Likes

Superman & Lois has been amazing to watch. The production values, the acting and the stories have been more than I could have hoped for.

I’m not bothered by the lack of Kara in the show. Because of COVID restrictions, the fact they probably want to do their own thing for the first season to establish the show and the fact that maybe Melissa Benoist wants to spend time with her husband and child, it isn’t a deal breaker for me; it’s not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the show.

I like the fact we can let the characters breathe and grow. I like that at this moment in time we’re seeing Clark, Lois, Jonathan and Jordan go through what they’re going through rather than having to interrupt the flow of the story to address another show. And this isn’t to say I don’t want Kara or Alex to show up. I’d like to see them eventually come to Smallville even if it’s just for an episode. If we’ve learned anything from Diggle recently showing up on Batwoman, just because a show is gone doesn’t mean the actors/characters can’t show up again elsewhere.

But right now I want to see this show establish itself and be free to tell its own story. It’s different from the other Arrowverse shows, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad by comparison.

3 Likes

The biggest thing that bothers me about the lack of Kara is that Supergirl has spent years name-dropping Superman, and yet S&L can’t be afforded to do even a little bit of the same courtesy for her. After looking into it more, out of Supergirl’s 113 episodes so far, Clark has appeared or been mentioned/referenced in 73 of them. That’s about a 64.6% rate that’s still gonna stay over 50% for the show’s run even if he’s never brought up in the show’s last 13 episodes (which we know isn’t gonna happen). The problem w/ that, though, is that while Kara’s always been a spin-off character of Superman, in this case, S&L is a direct spin-off of Supergirl. A spin-off acting like its parent show doesn’t exist is just insane in my and a lot of other fans’ eyes, and honestly comes across as disrespectful to Supergirl’s legacy as well

2 Likes

100% Agreed. I’ve liked how separate S&L is from everything else. I wouldn’t say it’s a con to not reference other shows since their focus is on the story-telling of their own show and it’s done great. Maybe me not following the Arrowverse in years with the exception of the crossover events play into that opinion.

And to pre-face I like the Arrowverse actors like Melissa Benoist as Supergirl but I’m not bothered if it doesn’t reference any of them. Tyler’s Superman typically played second fiddle to Supegirl anyways so I just want his time to shine separate from everything else.

Since this series has felt like a movie being serialized main plot driven instead of villain of the week sorta thing I wonder if Diggle coming in will feel organic or forced :thinking: I have faith in the writers, just now it feels like everything’s ramping up towards the finale. We’ll see.

3 Likes

And that’s a big thing that’s clearly dividing the fanbase right now. You have fans who have paid little to no attention to the Arrowverse until S&L, and you have fans like myself who have been dedicated followers of this universe since the beginning. The former fans probably aren’t gonna be bothered by this at all, but the longer this goes on, the more it alienates the latter fans. If the showrunners never wanted this to be in that established continuity, then they should’ve just pulled a Stargirl, Black Lightning or Supergirl and clearly established that it’s set on another earth

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re going out of their way to “disrespect” Supergirl. I doubt they’re in a meeting room somewhere wringing their hands menacingly, figuring out ways to intentionally leave Supergirl out of their show.

I think right now they just want to tell their story. And again, who’s to say she won’t get mentioned this season? And if not, who’s to say she won’t appear next season. It’s not like there’s a mandate saying she can never be on the show.

3 Likes

I doubt it’s going that far either, but completely forgetting about the character that kicked off this portion of the universe can be a form of disrespect as well. And I’m sure Supergirl also just wanted to tell Kara’s story in its 1st season as well, but there were also constant name-drops/references to Superman there – at least 1 in 90% of the episodes, in fact. So how is it fair that S&L can just skirt by w/out a single acknowledgement of the character that this audience was introduced to first? I know the season isn’t done yet, but we’re already more than halfway through and there’s been absolutely nothing, even now getting to the point of near complete erasure of her character. Even if/(hopefully) when she gets mentioned, it’ll still feel too late

2 Likes

I don’t think the showrunners are bothered by crossover or reference material. From the interviews at least they had a reference to Supergirl (possibly others down the road who know) and had plans for the Batwoman crossover.

They just don’t want anything to feel forced + Covid. If this was a regular season without Covid where the schedule of their production isn’t so wacky maybe we’d see more things. This show takes way longer to film than the others from what I understand. There’s just a lot of technicalities creative wise too.

From the interviews I posted yesterday they’re just not putting the Universe before their story-telling from what it sounds like.

3 Likes

Well said @NanoDeVice!

3 Likes

Nor should they, but I’ve already made my case for how they can still keep the focus on that while also putting in just some effort to make this feel like an actual part of the established Arrowverse. At this point, though, it just feels like the arguments are starting to go in circles

3 Likes

Fair enough. My main argument was that there were efforts made to establish Arrowverse connections, they just didn’t pan out.

They still got something like Lois dropping the “multiverse” line which was established through Crisis. So they got that in while making it organic to the story-telling involving ‘Captain Luthor’ :3

4 Likes