[REACTIONS] Batwoman S2 E1 "Whatever Happened to Kate Kane?" - Spoilers!

source-16181680fbedd2ff23d046518b8ce46a0ae56a2fmaster_6000b81414bfd8.02761393
From DCComics.com - Reimagining Batwoman: Ryan Wilder Makes the Cowl Her Own

After the cliffhanger of S1 and a new hero taking up the mantle of the Bat, we can’t wait to hear what you think of the new season, premiering tonight at 5pm PST/8pm EST!

When we meet Javicia Leslie’s Ryan Wilder, it’s clear that she’s struggling to make a place for herself. We see her in job interviews in which her years of martial arts training are overlooked because of her time in Blackgate. When Ryan finds Kate’s Batwoman suit, she sees it as fate—a way to get the vengeance she’s looking for without having to deal with the condescension and discrimination she faces in her day-to-day life as a citizen with a record.

What did you think of S2’s premiere episode? Let us know in the comments below! :point_down:t6:

Miss it on air? Watch BATWOMAN on the CW app starting January 18th!

6 Likes

I’m not available to watch it at the moment. Is it possible that someone could tell me if there’s still Jewish representation? My apologies if I sound rude or annoying and I hope that you have an excellent day!

4 Likes

I liked it. They certainly got your attention with the opening. I gotta say, I like Ryan! She’s got her reasons for wanting the suit, but it didn’t feel forced. She’s got a background in martial arts, that doesn’t automatically make her the best at everything. Much like Kate last season, she’s learning what the suit can do and how to be a hero.

Something tells me the Bruce/Tommy Elliot story got cut short when the show went in a new direction, but for what we got, it was pretty good. Also, I like the Batmobile.

The ending…certainly not where I thought this story was going to go. I wonder how that wound is going to affect what happens this season.

5 Likes

i only watched about half of last season, i think, but i already like Ryan a lot. Kate felt very one-note (grrrr intense!) to me, so Ryan’s like a breath of fresh air! I loved the scene of her struggling with the gadgets, but Javicia Leslie drew me into the drama, too.

it was jarring how the tone went full-on soap opera during the scenes with Alfred’s daughter and Kate’s girlfriend, but I’m not complaining (I thought it was funny).

5 Likes

I loved it, I can’t wait until next week.

4 Likes

I really like the new direction. You can tell that the writers had to wrap up some stuff they’d intended to play out over several episodes or even seasons (at one point Alice summarizes a plan in one monologue that was likely meant to make up the bulk of S2, and there’s no way Tommy was meant to be back in Arkham after just one episode masquerading as Bruce Wayne) but given Ruby Rose’s departure that was unavoidable. At least by tying Ryan’s origin to the Wonderland Gang they keep Alice as a viable nemesis for the new Batwoman.

I liked Ryan right away, but I especially enjoyed how much fun she was having in her first ‘patrol’ in the suit. I hope they keep that in the future, because when it comes right down to it being Batwoman is just cool.

3 Likes

As far as I know, there haven’t been any plans to make Ryan be Jewish like Kate. The rest of the Kane family is presumably still Jewish, but it’s hard to really consider that a meaningful factor when it was barely mentioned w/ Kate last season, and I can’t imagine it’ll be brought up in any significant way w/ Jacob or Alice

3 Likes

Unless there’s a funeral for Kate.

5 Likes

That wound had me thinking it was going to lead to the crossover which has now been cancelled for this season.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode. I thought the show did an incredible job removing Kate from the storyline while giving Alice new purpose.

3 Likes

I checked and ratings have dropped 80% from season one premiere. That is not good, but I am sure the Saints and Tom Brady playing at literally the same time had something to do with it.

1 Like

So she lives in a Van down by The River?

3 Likes

I hate what they did the transition sucked and does this new batwoman have any comic book history before last year

2 Likes

I was thoroughly impressed with this episode. The only thing I wasn’t the biggest fan of was how they explained away Kate Kane’s disappearance as it just seems so abrupt and sudden. Though this is understandable since it was a kind of sudden change and they hadn’t been planning for her departure during the first season. Even though the departure was sudden and a bit cheesy, I like how they left it open for further exploration.

Ryan Wilder is more than I could have ever hoped for her to be. Her back story really got to me (definitely cried a couple times), and many aspects were relatable. For me this makes for a much more intriguing story. I also like that she has no previous relations to anyone in the Bat-Family. She’s not a Wayne/Kane, she’s not a ward of Bruce Wayne, etc. Just purely “homegrown” so to speak. The episode really took a look at what makes a hero, and I thought it was funny that Ryan originally saw Kate as a spoiled brat who isn’t really a hero… until she heard about her back story. I’m excited to see if Ryan will come out as Bi or Lesbian and how the show explores those relationships.

2 Likes

So far I saw half of it, kinda lame how Ryan got the suit, and how she fought the 2 thugs without experience. Hopefully it gets better. Just finished the episode, I thought it was good, once again Alice is the best thing about the show. She is an awesome Villain. Her and Tobais Whale from black lightning are the best Villains on the CW. I’m sure I will like Ryan eventually as the season goes on, aslong as they don’t do anything cheesey.

1 Like

Ryan “Matt Foley” Wilder

3 Likes

Here’s hoping there’s at least a cameo by Clark or Kara.

3 Likes

There was a line of dialogue that said she’s a martial arts instructor, so she’s not completely untrained.

5 Likes

I completely agree with @biff_pow’s take on this episode. I did not care for Kate Kane in the first season, which led me to drop the show after a few episodes. Ryan seems different. I thought that some of the scenes in this episode felt a little forced, but it is understandable due to them having to wrap up last season in this episode as well.

It was a nice way to still leave the door cracked for Kate’s return as well… (even though I really don’t care for her). Ryan seems to be a much better fit for the suit (and I am not talking how it looks on her) IMO.

3 Likes

I just saw it. Now I was not a big fan of the first season. But after a while Ruby Rose grew on me. But this new version sucks eggs. I mean it is just awful. I honestly believe they just killed the series.

2 Likes

I was so so on it. I do think Ryan did a great job and will make a great Batwoman, but the writing on the show was not good. Hopefully it was a product of a truncated season last year and the switching of character leads. Honestly, they need to get things together quickly or I fear this show will not be around much longer.

3 Likes